Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: More on Loreto Bay!
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 07:12 AM

Pam, I can see how business's would be affected by the influx of tourist.

But what about the negative effects. Have you seen any of the predicted problems? Like water or power shortages, crime increases, etc.

How about unemployment, has LB improved or worsened it?

Loreto is still one of my favorite places so it's nice to get a first-hand report occasionally.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 07:20 AM

There's no doubt that LB has boosted business in Loreto, both directly, through it's promotional efforts, and through it's help in bringing Alaska Air flights.

Lots of folks are making money, lots of spending, lots of jobs. Loreto is one busy little town now.

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
The decision now is how big do we want to get? I'm sure that there are more businesses in this town asking themselves the same question.

You don't get to decide. :biggrin:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
Pam, I can see how business's would be affected by the influx of tourist.

But what about the negative effects. Have you seen any of the predicted problems? Like water or power shortages, crime increases, etc.

How about unemployment, has LB improved or worsened it?

Loreto is still one of my favorite places so it's nice to get a first-hand report occasionally.

Lots more traffic. Lots. And less parking.

Water: they are cracking down on late payments with big fines. We've been lazy and only seem to get around to paying once a year. This year that cost us a ten fold increase, lol. Rates are going to go up, and we will lose flat rate rates to metered rates. But so far, no shortages.

Unemployment? I don't think so. We have a few little things to do at our place we wanted done in the spring but we'll try in the fall when it cools; we just had too much trouble getting the workers. There seems to be more jobs than willing workers. That may change as more folks move in (the mayor says 5,000 in the last two years) and as locals run out of cash from their ejido land deals and their new pickups break down.;D

There is construction everywhere, on almost every block....repairs, remodels, additions, new houses, new businesses.

Crime? All evidence is anecdotal. But there have been two burglaries on my block this year. And be careful if you deal with that certain real estate guy.:lol:

Of course we've seen big growth before up north. Right now the only losers in Loreto are those who buy now instead of just a few years ago, or maybe those of us who should have bought more.:lol: Or maybe the locals who sold too soon for too little.:no:

The bad stuff comes later.:lol:

I'll shut up now.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 08:19 AM

You are right Pam---it does look nice....but they just plastered over the crappy construction and are hiding the real problems. Also they are still very close together and will probably fall down during the first hurricane. Overpriced and underbuilt....just another half assed project by our friends to the north of Washington and Montana.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 09:04 AM

I have been traveling to Loreto every summer for some time now. I am always amazed on the new development going on. We rented a house in town for two weeks and the land lord said that theft was on the rise (more people=more crime). I wanted to buy a lot in the Loreto area for a retirement home. I have 12 years in the Coast Guard and have 8 more to go. After looking around, it seems that much of the land in the Loreto area has already been purchased. And with the growth prospects of the Loreto area (I did not want to live in a "Cabo" environment in 10 years) I decided that I would prefer a smaller place. So, I found a nice lot up at San Lucas for sale in my price range. I am in the process of the deal now. The land is .41 acres and has a 26' 5th wheel on it. I am happy with the deal and the area.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 09:19 AM

Pam mostly baja big fish co is doing well because you care about your clientel take a persnoel interest in your buisness ,and work your u know what off, as for the crappy const, capt sharky that is every where and thier is no getting away from it ,if it was done right it would be unafordable ,it's called progress and as much as we older folks don't like it we have to some how deal with it, just wish i was younger and healthier i would be thier in a minute

[Edited on 7-17-2006 by jimgrms]
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 09:30 AM
Crappy construction?

Been there seen it...I'd hardly call this crappy...It's pretty cool as a matter of fact but to each his or her own!

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 09:33 AM
Craftsman

Very talented work...

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
Very talented work...
It looks a little scary to me. Hope there are no earthquake! Whats that thing sticking out of the wall?:o:o:o:lol:
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 11:12 AM

Bunco...Yeah I'm laughing all the way to the bank myself!

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 11:28 AM

Crappy construction...

Well, I don't know. I've seen how they stacked the adobe but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to construction. The finished units sure look really, really nice. And the price per square foot is far above what my construction work cost so it should be solid. At their prices I don't think they needed to cut any corners. Anyway, the detail work is nice and time will tell what's underneath it.

If the place were planned for 400-500 units I'd think it was great. But 5000-6000 units...YIKES!:lol:

edit: Oh, Have you seen the little building LB built by the Loreto playground? Pretty cute, I'll try and take a photo when I'm back down next week.

[Edited on 7-17-2006 by Don Alley]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 12:04 PM

Gee, are you guys actually surprised that the project looks good? It better look good, those Canadians are very anal folks. As for biz and the future, my guess would be 5 yrs before it looks/acts like any So. Cal or Rosarito Beach overdeveloped place. You'll be up to yer armpits in people.:lol: I guess that's good for some of us but it certainly doesn't call up visions of Baja to me.
Now, let's see how they power em all up.:)

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 01:26 PM

So this is their interpretation of "charm of old-world Mexico with Spanish Colonial architecture"?

Looks like a hodgepodge of pseudo-mediterranean with a pink stucco overlay, with hints of cheap hotel thrown in. They couldn't have put a cap rock on those walls? Is that the Anasazi ruins influence? And the extended rooftops - That's the Guatamalan cupola influence? Is that one backyard cut up into several sections or multiple backyards with no privacy? And full of gringos and Canadians. Yikes. Hope you all enjoy your non-Loretoesq, non-Baja, "village" - gag me. Sorry - I was going to totally ignore this string - but the loss is too profound.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 01:52 PM

It looks like multiple courtyards know thy neighbor.:no::no::no:

Also note the air conditioners(2) upper patio wall I'm sure that was well planned.

[Edited on 7-17-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 02:06 PM

sure those arnt speakers??

jerry and judi
bancoduo
Banned

thumbdown.gif posted on 7-17-2006 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
So this is their interpretation of "charm of old-world Mexico with Spanish Colonial architecture"?

Looks like a hodgepodge of pseudo-mediterranean with a pink stucco overlay, with hints of cheap hotel thrown in. They couldn't have put a cap rock on those walls? Is that the Anasazi ruins influence? And the extended rooftops - That's the Guatamalan cupola influence? Is that one backyard cut up into several sections or multiple backyards with no privacy? And full of gringos and Canadians. Yikes. Hope you all enjoy your non-Loretoesq, non-Baja, "village" - gag me. Sorry - I was going to totally ignore this string - but the loss is too profound.
How about the contempory touch. The twin A/C units on the roof looking down on the Anasazi ruins. actually;the comparison does a diservice to the ruins.:o:no:
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 02:18 PM

Nothing like mentioning Loreto Bay to get wilderone on a rampage:lol::lol:

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 03:20 PM
maybe they should call it...

Irvine Bay or Mission Viejo Bay because it sure looks alot like some of the same stuff they're throwin up all over the south OC area...i've seen a few new homes down on the beach in the south campo's below San Felipe that have a much more authentic look than those places and are probably considerably cheaper as well:lol::lol:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-17-2006 at 03:29 PM
Funny thang is

how jaded we all are.

Gonna take a bit more authenticism than that to wow most of us anymore.:lol::lol::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
Nothing like mentioning Loreto Bay to get wilderone on a rampage:lol::lol:

Trouble is, the man's right. The loss is too profound.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.