Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: John Steinbeck "Log of the sea of Cortez"
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 08:48 AM
John Steinbeck "Log of the sea of Cortez"

"The log of the Sea of Cortez," by John Steinbeck, published in 1951 which contained the supplement "About Ed Ricketts" and encluded a like new dust jacket and a book card signed by Mr. Steinbeck was recently listed on E Bay as number 160005609478.

The top bid was $1,725.00, (one thousand seven hundred and twenty five hard earned yankee dollars) but the top bid still did not meet the reserve established by the seller. Therefore, the book will possibly once again be relisted.

Not a bad price and certainly a great ROI for a book that originally sold for $4.00 only 55 years ago!

It should be noted that the book was originally published in 1941 but didnot contain the "Ricketts suppliment." The 1941 edition is somewhat more common and can be obtained at a much more reasonable price than the 1951 edition. It is recognized that the term "reasonable" is relative and the price is also relative, about $200.00 to $1000.00 depending on Condition condition and condition...

This book may also be aquired in a later published editions of a mass market trade paperback at a very reasonable prices. Penquin, Viking, et al published it in the US, Pan books also pubished it in London, England and in 1979 it was published in France as "La mer de Cortez." The US mass market trade paper backs can often be aquired for around 5 to 10 yankee dollars.

"The log of the sea of Cortez," no matter what edition or what condidtion should be a must must own -must read- for all Bajaphiles. It would be especially interesting eye opener for the recent arrivals since the road was constructed and the American/Canada invasion of Baja.

DM
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 09:49 AM

Couldn't agree more re: including this book in the Bajaphile's canon.

FYI, I recently read "Searching for Steinbeck's Sea of Cortez," by a Ms. Romano-Lax.
Some interesting research and tales of Steinbeck on that trip. For examply, it's easy to read "Log" and not be clear that John's wife was aboard, as he wrote her out of the story!
Thumbs down though for Romano-Lax's misinformed, Pollyanna attitude regarding the health of today's Sea of Cortez.
Oh well.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:01 AM

His wife was on board and he wrote her out??? That sux!
I really enjoyed Steinbeck's Log from the Sea of Cortez, go back to it often. Now if only I could get my hands on a copy of his wife's journal.... :light::yes:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:07 AM
Log

Amazon.com has (19) available starting from $3.50 used and $12.50 New.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
His wife was on board and he wrote her out??? That sux!
I really enjoyed Steinbeck's Log from the Sea of Cortez, go back to it often. Now if only I could get my hands on a copy of his wife's journal.... :light::yes:

A fascinating glimpse of the journey, which includes Carol Steinbeck, is "With Steinbeck in the Sea of Cortez" by Sparky Enea, one of the crew members of the Western Flyer.
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for the tip...wasn't familiar with that title, Ken.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 11:22 AM

Slowmad

It's a good read. Just checked and Amazon has it for $9.95.

++Ken++
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 11:31 AM
I thought Sparky's viewpoint was particularly insightful.

He was something of a "common" man with no axes to grind. I got the impression that this ghost-writer told it pretty much the way it went down.

I used to own a Johnson outboard that we affectionately called the "Sea Cow".:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 11:38 AM

You would be amazed at how many "Logs" we sell here. I think that it is wonderful that people are still interested in reading it after all these year. My theory is that people are here and see the book and think....jee, I remember that from school, maybe I should read it again since I am here.
Another good one is "The Pearl"
We have all three but, of course, cannot compete with Amazon on price.

[Edited on 7-18-2006 by bajajudy]

Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 01:13 PM

Judy, what's your bookwoman's opinion of the Dawson's Baja series?
By that I mean any critiques, suggestions, value, etc.
I've craved a set since I saw one in 1979 at John Cole's book shop in La Jolla.
Any advice appreciated.

[Edited on 7-18-2006 by Slowmad]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken Bondy
A fascinating glimpse of the journey, which includes Carol Steinbeck, is "With Steinbeck in the Sea of Cortez" by Sparky Enea, one of the crew members of the Western Flyer.

Muchas gracias, Ken. I've just placed my order.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 03:43 PM
Ed Ricketts

Ed Ricketts was my mentor during my marine biology days in college. What an interesting man! I kept this picture on my desk for years.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
Judy, what's your bookwoman's opinion of the Dawson's Baja series?
By that I mean any critiques, suggestions, value, etc.
I've craved a set since I saw one in 1979 at John Cole's book shop in La Jolla.
Any advice appreciated.

[Edited on 7-18-2006 by Slowmad]

My dad had a complete 50+/- edtion set. It's boxed up at my mom's since my dad passed away. I enjoyed reading several of them.
There was a complete set for sale on ebay 4-5 years ago for a $1,500 starting price. It did not sell.
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 04:19 PM

Thanks Taco.
Didn't mean to highjack this Steinbeck thread with an off-topic query.
But any additional info welcome :-)
My understanding is that it's a 50-book set with the 51st being an index.
Sounds like a killer keystone for a Baja library.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
My understanding is that it's a 50-book set with the 51st being an index.
I had seen this set at Dawson's and at John Cole's before... and do seem to remember there being an index book (maybe not one of the "Volumes"?)... but according to this, Vol 51 is the 1992 book "Modest Fortunes":

http://www.nhm.org/research/publications/Baja_Cal_Travel/baj...

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 05:56 PM

Sunbelt has the Dawson Baja California Travelers Series...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Ed Ricketts was my mentor during my marine biology days in college. What an interesting man! I kept this picture on my desk for years.

Mentor? MENTOR?

Ed Ricketts died in an automobile crash in 1948, It is noted that you were born in 1947. Wouldn't a better choice of a word be "Inspiration?"

Also please bear in mind that although Ed Ricketts attened college in his home state of Illinois, he did not graduate and was not a degreed Biologist. His business was that of collecting, idenifing, and selling biological speciemens to educational and research institutions from his Pacific Biological Station in Monterey. California.

Even though is is often idenified as a biologist he is and was considered by most professionals in the field as a "naturalist' and a very early "Ecologist." One need to only referr to his 1939 book "Betreen Pacific Tides," which was directed towards intertidal marine life and his additional contributions to the conchological world to have this verified.

DM
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 10:35 AM

Dean,

You are correct about the word mentor. I thought it meant a person whom one greatly admired and emulated. I was not aware it was a person who you knew personally and had a teacher/student relationship. An inspiration is probably closer to it.

The students in the biology department at SFSU used Ed Rickett's Between Pacific Tides as a textbook in class on invertebrates along our coast. The edition we used had been modified by Joel Hedgpeth and expanded. Ricketts had been Joel Hedgpeth's mentor as they were contemporaries. I had met Hedgpeth during field trips to Monterey and had spoken to him about Ed Ricketts. Hedgpeth still taught in the bay area in my time and was the last link to the past.

I have to say that most of the grad students in the department greatly admired the man, not only me. I even remember a seminar on him by one student.

I agree that he was not an ecologist. Ecology was not the science it is today. The biological literature back then was either taxonomical or descriptive. I can't think of anything written before the 40's that included measurements of communities of animals and the parameters of their environment.

Ed Ricketts did publish in scientific journals. Interestingly enough, there is a display of Pycnogonids in one of the tanks at the Montery Aquarium at this time. It's an animal that Ricketts first identified and wrote about it in one of the journals. The species is named after him.

Marine biology has changed a great deal over the years. The lack of math in Rickett's world would have made his work seem like that of a naturalist. However, in his day that was considered biology.

It's hard for me not to think of him as a marine biologist. To us he was the quintessential marine biologist that we all aspired to be.

You might read this when you get a chance:

McCosker, J. E. 1984. Ed Ricketts: role model for California biologists.

[Edited on 7-19-2006 by Skipjack Joe]

[Edited on 7-19-2006 by Skipjack Joe]
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 05:40 AM

Sir,

I commend you for a very fine response!

I also certainly agree with you! Ed Ricketts was the role model for all who persued the study of Biology, then, now and in the future.
He was a true pioneer!

DM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.