Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: another GPS question
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 04:04 PM
another GPS question

Why does my GPS show my track being off of the main Hwy and when I'm right on the coast it shows my track in the water? I initialize it each time I'm down in mex and when I cross into Bajasur. I know the format needs to be changed to co-incide with the Baja Almanac but is there something else that I need to do? Its a Magellan Meridian. Someone told me I needed to down load from magellan web site.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 04:09 PM

I have the same problem with my Meridain along hyw 5 and 3. No help but will also be looking for the answer.

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 04:12 PM
I too will be looking for the answer------

-------as I have the same problem.
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 05:02 PM

The representation of your location on a map on your GPS is subject to lots of error especially in Mexico. I have the same problem with my Garmin system and navigation charts. There are some techincal issues related to the projection system used to locate the data--there are lots of choices. I have gotten Garmin to clearly identify the projection system the Baja maps reportedly use and have used the exact same system in my geographic info system, but it has not solved the problem. Rest assured that whatever is going on, it is not operator error, but some inherent problem with the map data that we as individuals cannot solve. John K.
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 05:27 PM

I just went to the Magellan web site and saw that there is an update for my gps I will give that a go... Now if I could only find some batteries
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 05:52 PM

Would you believe that the maps are not as accurate as your GPS...

My Garmin also will show me several dozen (or more) feet from the road I am on... IN THE USA OR MEXICO...

The map (any map) is not perfect!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 06:26 PM

My Garmin is right on target in the US, but in Mex, where I use Baja Expiditioner maps, the tracking is often way off, even when the unit says it's accurate to within 13 feet.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 09:30 PM
Yes, but------

Coast lines are static-------they do not move. My GPS tells me that I am not on the coast line-------that is a problem, and it is not the "maps" fault.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 09:54 PM
"Yes - but" but...

Some coast lines actually do move a little each day, month, year, decade, century... etc.... storms, tides, erosion, alluvial changes, etc. Not a lot generally, unless compared to continental drift which is slower than the . . . (THAT slow)

Is it likely that your map was likely not originally made with accurate GPS data ? ? In other words it is on paper, or other media, but is it accurate ??

Some of the "maps" and charts in some early naval and merchant marine (navigation) books I have (from the 1800's) are incredibly accurate.... until compared with modern GPS data.

I wonder how much can be attributed to the built-in inaccuracies of civilian GPS (intended to reduce targeting accuracy) ? ? Are your GPS location inaccuracies always on the same (wrong) side of the road....?

You have me wondering now.... Please post your discoveries !

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Coast lines are static-------they do not move. My GPS tells me that I am not on the coast line-------that is a problem, and it is not the "maps" fault.

Beg to differ with you Barry A. It is a problem with the map that has been digitized and put into the GPS. I have two map programs that show Baja roads and they are not shown in the same place when I zoom in real close. And my track is a little off from them.

When comparing GPS locations with paper maps, you must be sure and use the correct datum. Mexican topos are NAD27Mexico not WGS84 which is the default setting in GPSrs and that diference can be a hundred yards or more.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:12 PM
djh and Lue-----

----Yes, always on the same side of the road/coastline. But, I am way over my head in this discussion-----a real GPS novice------and I probably should pull my head back into my shell and await more learned discussion from you all.

I use a Garmin E-trex Gps, and I am still trying to figure it out.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:28 PM

As stated earlier, the GPS is Accurate, the Map is not, that is all there is to it.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 06:40 AM

Talk about someone who knows nothing. Your truly is as confused as they come. What I observed is Todos Santos and my trip to Los Barriles is that about 95% of the time my tracking was spot on, but at times way off.
It seemed to me that the original lost the satellite, and pick up again later as the line was alway straight even when my tracking agreed with the road.
Can we send our data in to correct the Baja Expeditioner? Maybe not mine as I would not trust it, because of lack of experience, but some of you could maybe??

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G

Can we send our data in to correct the Baja Expeditioner? Maybe not mine as I would not trust it, because of lack of experience, but some of you could maybe??

Yes he welcomes any updates of the "real" location for the roads. They may be reflected in product updates.

As may have said, the error is not with the GPS, but with the digital maps that have been downloaded into the units. Some of the maps, in Baja, anf the USA too, are 40+ years old and plot the route of an older road alignment that is not the same as the current paved road.

Some "errors" have to do with the real width of the road, take the I-5 as it enters and leaves Mexico, the real width of this road may be 300 feet, yet on the GPS it is represented as a line that is probably no more than 20 feet wide, thus depending on where you are, the GPS will indicate it has 20 foot accuracy but you may be 200 feet away from the digitized road in the map.

Some errors have to do with expecting too much accuracy from the units, you can not get sub-meter accuracy without spending a lot more $$$. Think of trying to weigh a letter to see if you need additional stamps on a bathroom scale and getting peeed off at the post office when they send some of your letters back for insufficient postage....The scale was not designed to weigh in ounces. Our cheap GPSs are not designed to measure in feet, 10's of feet maybe.....

Also think of this, a pecil point on a standard US Geological 7.5-minute topographic map is about 20 feet in diameter
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 07:47 AM
C'mon Al

No retreats....

This is how we (all of us) learn new things....

I've learned a few GPS lessons the hard way. (navigating on a sailboat, fog moved in - small trickey pass, rips and currents, crew disouriented and seasick, etc.)

Just keeping my wits, (and building some quick confidence in utilizing my depth and radar instruments for navigating the passage - Chatham Pass for any of you who know it...) was my challenge du our!

All part of the adventure, my friend~!
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 09:21 AM
nav problems

the problem has something to do with the expectations gps has given people. prior to the intro of gps and to a lesser degree loran C , people had to actually know something to do navagation. these devices convinced people that the only thing required to be a navagator was a coulpe hundred buck to by a neat little device. i have crossed oceans for a living for the past 25 years, and have used every type of system made. they ALL have errors!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 09:30 AM
Expectations

I bought my Magellan GPS before the "Mapping" units were reasonably priced. Having learned to navigate using Lat/Lon coordinates both in aircraft and on the water many years ago, it's never been a problem. If I were to buy a new GPS, mapping would not be a consideration. Sometimes we subordinate too much of our thinking processes to technology.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 09:37 AM
For some GPS mfgrs

you can introduce an "offset" to what you observe on your chart.

For instance, on my marine-based Furuno, when you are cruising along a shoreline but the chart says you are significantly inland, you can "shift" the chart by the observed error. It then applies this offset to the display and continues to applies this offset until you make another adjustment or tell it to return to its default setting.

Check your menus..........maybe there is a similar setting. I would doubt it on a small hand-held type unit, though.
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2006 at 10:18 AM

I thought all newer GPS were pretty accurate. In my plane, I can use the GPS with ground based error correction to do precision approaches to an airpport. If i turn off the WAS, there is no noticable difference in the accuracy.

The newest aviation Garmin unit (396) can also be used with a ground (Auto) software package (maps) and is very accurate.

If I enter an MX airport (MMLT or MMSL for example) the accuracy is almost perfect. If I enter the Runway heading the intercept bar on the GPS is dead on the center of the runway.

Maybe some of the older units or other brands are not as accurate.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.