Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Leaving Hawaii - Back to Baja
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 04:58 PM
Leaving Hawaii - Back to Baja

So we are your basic middleaged couple (he's 55 - me 47) - we have been living on the Big Island of Hawaii for 20 years. I am about sick of all the Haoles (Hawaiian for gringos) moving here from So Cal and trying to make their gated communities and blocking off the beach access.

Up until 5-8 years ago we had party lines in many places.... DSL? forget it until 2 years ago... we lived on solar with catchment....

Okay so I went to San Felipe many years ago a couple of times a year with my family, and then in my 20's to Gonzaga and Cabo to dive.. I want to move and Baja is one of my big choices! Someone please tell me that it isnt as overun as the stuff I have been reading - I saw CONDOS in San Felipe on the net for $100K up?????? Condos??? We used to camp there!

Is there anywhere in Baja that is still affordable to live to the regular person? We will be visiting in Dec 06 - and I thought of Mulege, Loreto or Gonzaga? Any advice is appreciated.

-Cat
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 05:21 PM

You will get all kinds of advise, when you come down make sure you look at La Paz.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 05:37 PM

Get yourself a good book about Baja (recommendations anyone???) to learn about el clima (the climate) in different areas. It's very hot in the summer along the Sea of Cortez. Many places are getting built up but we are confident you'll find something. Would be delighted to show you are little part of the Peninsula, about 20 miles south of Ensenada.
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 05:44 PM

Pretty Familar with the climate on the Sea of Cortez side....

not so much on the Pacific side....

We really had not considered the Pacific side much but I am now researching it too.

-Cat
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 06:01 PM

I have two that I found very helpful....

1) Live Well in Mexico; How to relocate, retire & increase your standard of living, by Ken Luboff/John Muir Publications

2) Baja California; The U.S. Border to Cabo San Lucas by AAA. It is primarily designated as a travel guide, but it has a lot of good info for the length of the Baja, including some backcountry areas, with maps, distances between everywhere, recommended lodging & restaurants, etc.

You also need to keep in mind what kind of local amenities are important to you; medical, dental, availability of certains foods, imported dairy products, whatever is important to you! You have your choice between sleepy little fishing villages to more progressive larger towns.

Enjoy your research!!!! The Baja has Hawaii beat all to hell!
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 06:13 PM

Cat127.......Check your U2U
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 06:30 PM

Wherever you go in Baja, at least you won't get island fever.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 06:49 PM

Cat, seriously check out Mulege. We absolutely love that area. La Paz would be our second choice - but it's getting so big there. Mulege is still a nice sleepy village that still seems to offer reasonable prices. But, things change so fast now.
Bob H
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 07:24 PM

Mulege is definately on the list... so as I have been here all day researching - dont find one B&B in San Felipe... any suggestions ?
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 07:12 AM

go to the little un-gringoed pueblos...what it lacks in the things you "think you need" it makes up for in peace and good people.

lived in Punta Abreojos 2 1/2 yrs..missed family, language and culture. Still ahve a one bedroom casita on the edge of the pueblo..elec, phone, net
de-sal water...full kitchen freezer garage storage and 12 ft klamath 15 Evinrude..

Deborah may offer it for rent if interested

gpurrm@hotmail.com

have a very dear friend lives on Kuaia? Garden Isle always asking me to come over...no interest...heading to Alaska

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 09:34 AM

Hola Cat, I'm a Canadian married to a local fisherman here in Bahia Asuncion where there are only 3 expats living happily ever after. The climate is the coolest in the baja which we appreciate and it's a gorgeous beach village where lots and houses are available for very cheap still. We have good services and stores but no Costo ect. Come and stay with us and we'll show you what's available.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 11:10 AM

If you liked the climate in Hawaii, you may find the weather on the Pacific side in BCN a tad chilly, and the water downright frigid. For now at least there are still out of the way places, but the development boom shows no signs of letting up.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 11:26 AM

I thought that might be the case. The developement boom is slowing down here / pricing has dropped about 20/30% since Jan 06.

I am narrowing down the area to between Puertecitos and Mulege. Cabo was way crowded in 1989/1990 when I was down there last (or whatever the year Cabo Wabo went in). We can live on solar/genny - no problem. My SO is pretty much "tim the toolman".... (he is a builder here - NOT A CONTRACTOR... he is in better shape than his young guys!!)

All my pals here who surf all over the world are telling me that the Pacific Side is better. Our water temp here on the Big Island is pretty cool - comparable temps mainly because deep water right outside the reefs.

Thanks everyone for the advice... if you got more, I am always listening!

-Cat
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 11:28 AM

One more thing - am taking Punta Abreojos in the picture also....

-Cat
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 11:52 AM

There's no surf on the gulf side except for the east cape, by and large. From what I hear, many of the spots down there have the same localism issues as many in Hawaii. For the Pacific side, which has lots of surf, the bad news is cold water temps, inconsistent wave conditions, treacherous currents, howling winds, and bad roads. The good news? Cold water temps, inconsistent wave conditions, treacherous currents, howling winds, and bad roads (heh).

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 01:00 PM

ahhh, Bahia Asuncion, Punta Prieta, Hipolito, PA

Asunscion most services available, most people, but still a peaceful place to hang your hat...all of them are...know a few people in each Pueblo.

Don't leave this entire stretch of coast off your list.. Capt g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 02:28 PM

I'm with Comitan. La Paz in the 80's was my second choice to Loreto. But now, with all the development going on in Loreto, and if I had to choose now, I would probably pick La Paz. Real Mexican town still, not too big, and prices still affordable.
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 02:34 PM

Believe it or not - one of the big things I am looking forward to is Mexican cooking - FISH TACOS especially! (as opposed to all Asian influenced cooking here!) I make them here but cant quite get into the same spirit when we are making Lilikoi Margaritas to go with it. Kinda changes the spirit! Lilikoi is "passion fruit"...

-Cat
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 06:23 PM

no great shakes in small Pueblos, very basic fare, but good.

find our own "mexican style" more spicy and tasty then the local stuff.

could be just our taste

cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 06:42 PM

Did I mention although I was an orginal valley girl - yah I used to surf - I am 1/2 mexican? My spanish sucks but as I work on this research all sorts is coming back, but my SO's spanish is awesome and he is gringo orginally from Kansas.

Someone mentioned localism? Here it is harsh at times unless you speak pidgeon which I have picked up just because there are some words that work way better in pidegeon that English. Such as DaKine (means that which you cant remember the name for)... ha ha

What is it like there? I always found Mexicans to be the best at hospitality and inclusions rather than exclusions.

-Cat
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.