Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Rosario - another observation
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 08:38 AM
El Rosario - another observation

My wife, Barbara, and daughter Debbie were along on our 6 day Baja adventure. Debbie hadn't been to Baja with us in something like 17 years - some things she recalled seeing before and others not. We got to El Roasrio mid afternoon on Friday and stopped at the Jaripeo [Rodeo] for a couple of hours. We enjoyed the festivities, sharing the view with David, Sarah, Elizabeth, as well as Anthony and Rob from Diamante Del Mar - and Rob's friend Karen. Deb and Sarah got some first hand horseback riding experience with Sarah demonstrating her riding skills for quite some time.

Daytime Saturday we drove as far south as the Rancho Santa Ynez area showing our daughter some of the places we've visited along the way - a bit of 4x4 driving...Ice and Gatorade at the market in Catavina quenched our thirst in the 115 degree temperatures. Two hours later we appreciated the 30 degree cooler temps back at El Rosario.

Saturday's highlight for us was both the flavorful and bountiful meal hosted by Antonio and the staff of the Baja Cactus Motel - as well as the dance and beauty competition later that evening. The poise and grace of the beautiful young women in the contest were representitive of all the people of El Rosario we were fortunate enough to meet over the weekend. - What a joy!

Sunday we took a drive to the west of town to visit the proposed site of Diamante Del Mar - actually more than a proposed development as roadways are in, plans for a golf course, great ocean views, and most importantly a mile long concrete landing strip have already been established. Anthony was gracious to take us on a tour of the 8,000 plus acres.

We ate a various spots in town - never a bad meal. Sunday evening we ate at Mama Espinoza's as Debbie hadn't been there before - historically good food and our entire table wasn't disappointed this time either. Later that evening Barbara and a few others had the distinct pleasure to chatting with Mama Espinoza for something like ten minutes.

So many highlights this weekend that the photographs and memories will last us some time.

Thank you to Antonio, his family, and the entire Baja Nomad group in attendance - you made this time special for our family.

I'm posting three photos with this story - somehow I can't figure how to include all in one posting so you'll have to scroll on down to see the other two.

This first picture shows local cowboys and others preparing for the next competitor at the Jaripeo.

Regards, John Marnell
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 08:39 AM
Picture number 2

Shows a bit of a pre-party gathering in the courtyard/parking lot at Baja Cactus Motel.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 08:41 AM
photo #3

Anthony of Diamante Del Mar proucly showing off their mile long concrete airstrip on the mesa west of the military checkpoint. Daughter Deb and wife Barbara with Anthony.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 09:05 AM

John, nice story. How about doing a review of Mama Espinoza's? I'm interested in what they're serving, how good it was, etc.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 11:41 AM

Bajamigo,

Get in your car and take a 3 hour drive and find out for yourself and then post your own report for those who read this board and don't have the convenience of living where you do.

Great report John M!

P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajamigo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 01:30 PM

John, I apologize for being interested in your report and expressing curiosity about your impressions of Mama Espinoza's. OK, Maulina?

[Edited on 7-27-2006 by bajamigo]

[Edited on 7-27-2006 by bajamigo]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 02:57 PM

we ate breakfast at Mama Espinoza's Sunday they had a small buffet for 70 pesos it really wasn't very good and a little pricey. but maybe they were just overwhelmed buy all the people there for the festival. we have had many good meals there in the past.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 03:44 PM

Bajamigo - I'd be please to respond. Of course Paulina's approach - to get firsthand experience as she so eloquently and temperately put it would be good too.

On the other hand it is oftentimes nice to hear what others think.

On our table were a variety of meals such as melenaise steak (breaded), quesadilla asada, fish tacos, albondigas soup - I also bet I'm butchering these spellings but you get the idea. I ate breakfast there twice this trip - had french toast once and an egg dish the other time - reasonably priced. I did see the note about the buffett but wasn't there that morning so I cannot comment. The hot chocolate, my wife and daughter say, is really great!

It has been our experience at Espinoza's that the prices are about average for a nice meal. What runs the bill up considerably seems to be when we add the drinks - especially a pitcher or two of maggies or 3 to 4 beers. We think the beverage prices ARE high.

For us, the history of this place as well as the ambiance - read lots of race-related wall hangings - are to our liking as well.

Whenever we pass that way with folks that are new to Baja or have not been at Mama Espinoza's we make it a point to stop! Twice in the recent past we've been invited to speak with Mama Espinoza - and we have nothing to offer as to why we were given that opportunity, just small talk with the waitresses and soon lo and behold here we were face to face with this dynamic and well-spoken Baja legend. This past weekend we were afforded yet another opportunity to visit with her but this time folks with us had been putting in a real effort to organized and set up the little Espinoza Museum in town...guess that's why we got the audience.

I'd recommend a stop there - if only for a high-priced beer!

John M
bajamigo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 05:49 PM

Thanks, John. After that review, I'll take Paulina's polite suggestion and try it myself. I would have anyway, but you made it sound too good to wait for!

[Edited on 7-28-2006 by bajamigo]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 09:20 AM

Thanks for the photos John!

Could you email me the one you took looking down on us at full resolution?

It sure was fun just sitting around chatting with other Baja nuts...

I am ready go go back and do some exploring!

Baja Angel wants to see the San Pedro Martir and observatory, as well...

Nice to see the El Rosario Jet Runway, up close!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 11:05 AM

Had my first meal at Mama Espinoza'a around15 years ago. It is still one of the most memorable meals I have ever had in baja. I hadn't eaten there for years. No reason other than moving too quickly at the times I went by I guess. Stopped and ate there 2 years ago. I have to say the food wasn't very good and pricey for what I got. Did see Mama though and was shocked how much she had aged. Of course she probably thought the same about me if she remembered me. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I stopped again earlier this year. Sorry, same result.

Just to be fair, I'll give it one more shot. Its worth stopping though, just to touch a little history.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaden
Had my first meal at Mama Espinoza'a around15 years ago. It is still one of the most memorable meals I have ever had in baja. I hadn't eaten there for years. No reason other than moving too quickly at the times I went by I guess. Stopped and ate there 2 years ago. I have to say the food wasn't very good and pricey for what I got. Did see Mama though and was shocked how much she had aged. Of course she probably thought the same about me if she remembered me. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I stopped again earlier this year. Sorry, same result.

Just to be fair, I'll give it one more shot. Its worth stopping though, just to touch a little history.

Things do change in Baja... and often!

We had really enjoyed the La Bocana Beach Restaurant (at the Sinahi Motel) for all meals, but I think they have a new cook...? I still recommend Ed Lusk's place (specially for his garlic lobster dinner @ $20) for all meals... It is the Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast at the far end of town (Starbucks logo). It was great last weekend!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Shows a bit of a pre-party gathering in the courtyard/parking lot at Baja Cactus Motel.

Here's another look at John's balcony photo at the Baja Cactus parking lot, before we moved into the shade for the great dinner Antonio and Lorenia made for us...

The people in the photo, starting at the top and going clockwise:
Doug (Baja Nomad) with crutches; Ryland; Barbara M; John and Barb's daughter, Debbie; David (photographer for Ensenada Gazette); Connie (writer for Ensenada Gazette and Baja Times); Antonio (BajaCactus); Sarah K; Anthony (Diamante Del Mar); David K; Elizabeth (Baja Angel); John; Michelle; and in the center, Jasmine (the wonder dog).

[Edited on 7-29-2006 by David K]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.