BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FMTs at the Migracion in Ensenada?
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 12:18 AM
FMTs at the Migracion in Ensenada?

I keep hearing rumors that the short old guy with glasses at the migracion desk in Ensenada is either refusing to issue FMTs to tourists or charging them $40 as a "fine" for not doing the paperwork in TJ.

Any first-hand info on this, anyone???

Thx. ;D

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 06:15 AM

I suggest that you get your FMT at the Instant Mexican Auto Insurance before you cross, stop at the TJ crossing and have it stamped....took me about 10 minutes. No hassles, no problems.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 08:53 AM

Sounds like the short old guy has a yacht payment coming due. Bajaguy's right; it took us only a few minutes to get stamped at the TJ crossing. The majority of that brief time was taken up by the guy having to go down the block to make copies of the form.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 09:12 AM

If you get your FM-T there at INM instead of stopping at someplace else first for a paid but unstamped one, wouldn't it be faster than having to wait for the guy to make a copy down the block (if that is why he is making a copy)?

In other words why get unstamped ones north of the border only to have to stop inside Mexico anyway to get them stamped/ validated?

It doesn't take anytime at all to just do everything in one stop. The bank teller is open 24/7 and is right there a few steps from the INM office.

I see the advantage of buying FM-Ts before reaching the border only if you are crossing at Tecate or Mexicali afterhours since they don't have 24/7 bank tellers for collecting the fee.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 09:15 AM

Takes about 10-15 minutes (depending on how fast you write) to get the whole deal done at TJ crossing.

We always bring our own pen just in case.

I was told that the office in Ensenada is technically only for marine arrivals. Never had the chance to stop and confirm and never will.

Let us know what you find out.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 10:57 AM
Years ago we would stop in Ensenada

There was never a problem getting the stamps, but we always left with a really bad feeling of being unwelcome in Mexico. I won't call the guy we always met there a racist, but his attitude was certainly consistent. We do it ALL at San Isidro now. We usually have to "do" customs anyway, and the parking is not only easier, its manditory.:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 12:44 PM

We used to always stop at Ensenada before we got FM3s.

The first time, we followed the guy's directions to a bank a long walk from the office. But he seemed to mellow some, and on later trips he gave us directions to a much closer bank.:lol:

He did seem a little grumpy, but we'd try to be nice and he'd seem to thaw a bit.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

The first time, we followed the guy's directions to a bank a long walk from the office. But he seemed to mellow some, and on later trips he gave us directions to a much closer bank.:lol:

He did seem a little grumpy, but we'd try to be nice and he'd seem to thaw a bit.

About three years ago my brother and I stopped to get our FMT's there as I had many times in the past. The official was somewhat antagonistic which I had not encountered there in the past. We filled out the forms and he directed us to the bank but insisted on holding my passport. When I asked why he said that the government doesn't trust tourists to pay the fee. I then pointed out that neither did they trust him to collect it and the conversation went down hill from there.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

lol.gif posted on 7-28-2006 at 03:36 PM
Kurt

You said what many of us wish we had the time and courage to say. Cracked me up. :lol::lol:

Incidentally, in 1958 my Sea Explorers "Ship" was the little bunk house out on the end of the old public pier at Avila Bay.

[Edited on 7-28-2006 by vgabndo]

[Edited on 7-29-2006 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

About three years ago my brother and I stopped to get our FMT's there as I had many times in the past. The official was somewhat antagonistic which I had not encountered there in the past. We filled out the forms and he directed us to the bank but insisted on holding my passport. When I asked why he said that the government doesn't trust tourists to pay the fee. I then pointed out that neither did they trust him to collect it and the conversation went down hill from there.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

good for you .
uou are a brave man:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 04:49 PM
i reported this a couple of months ago

when we went to renew my husband's fm3. i posted on this board having seen a sign at the bank that is now adjacent to immigration saying that land tourists should pay where they cross and ensenada would be charging a penalty for tourists who failed to obtain fmt at the border.

guess it's in effect:O

lili
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 06:33 PM
Kurt

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 09:57 PM

Seems kind of dumb since FM-T's are not required for Ensenada...what if you are planning on just staying there a couple of days and change your mind and go further south....My first trip to Baja (1997) I had just planned a day trip and ended up going the whole way, stayed 3 1/2 months. We did get the FM-T's there and had to drudge the several blocks back and forth to the bank with a 4yr. old in tow.....what a pain in the butt! From then on always take care of it at the border, simple, windows together takes 15mins.

And NO WAY IN HELL would I leave my passport!

Good one Kurt, did he choke on his taco? :o

Mean people suck!
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 10:57 PM

Forgot ? Whats an FM-T :?:

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens
when we went to renew my husband's fm3. i posted on this board having seen a sign at the bank that is now adjacent to immigration saying that land tourists should pay where they cross and ensenada would be charging a penalty for tourists who failed to obtain fmt at the border.

guess it's in effect:O

That's where I heard about it. Thanks.

FM-T = tourist

MAGA

Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 11:48 PM

Is it hard to get a 6 month visa?

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 06:19 AM

That is the maximum. If asked we had always said that we were going for 6 months. The last 3-4 years they have automatically filled in the 180 days without prompt.

MAGA

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Seems kind of dumb since FM-T's are not required for Ensenada...what if you are planning on just staying there a couple of days and change your mind and go further south....My first trip to Baja (1997) I had just planned a day trip and ended up going the whole way, stayed 3 1/2 months. We did get the FM-T's there and had to drudge the several blocks back and forth to the bank with a 4yr. old in tow.....what a pain in the butt! From then on always take care of it at the border, simple, windows together takes 15mins.

And NO WAY IN HELL would I leave my passport!

Good one Kurt, did he choke on his taco? :o

He was a little upset but there was a second official there who started laughing. When we returned from the bank it was the second guy who stamped our permits and returned my passport with a grin. First guy stayed back in the office.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 11:22 AM

I had totally forgotten that guy. He is a grumpy old f-art isnt he. When Jim and I cant get someone to smile there is something wrong. Our philosophy since moving here has always been leave 'em laughing, which of course is pretty easy to do, as most Mexicans love a good laugh. I am pretty sure that half the time they dont understand our joke but somewhere deep inside they feel that we are trying to be funny so they laugh with us, at us, quien sabe?
At any rate, we could not even get a slight upturn of the corners of the mouth with that guy. And there was another guy there who was about to lose it and had to leave the cubicle so his buddy wouldnt see him laugh. It seems to me that we had some sort of conversation about leaving our passports and that I took mine back and left my husband's. Anyhoo, guess we wont have to worry about that because I certainly will not see him ever again. 400 pesos is the fine, right? NOT:no:

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 09:18 PM

Me thinks "Senor Grumpy Butt" needs a new job? Si?

Has anyone questioned just why they are charging a fine if you want to obtain your FM-T in Ensenada? Again, seems really dumb to me, it is not required for a 7day or less stay, so.....what? Blow it off until the first check at the Baja Sur border? (many of us spend months at a time in Norte.......blow it off all together?) Me thinks that "Senor Grumpy Butt" may have just posted those signs himself so he doesn't have to get off his tooshie to hand out that HEAVY, HEAVY paper form? I'm kidding of course, but, that would make just about as much sense as any other reason I can fathom for this silly new "TOPA"

Again, I would not EVER, NEVER leave my passport!

Everyone! Your passpost is the proberty of the United States Goverment! No one! I repeat, No one! has the right to hold your passport except an authorized representative of the United States Goverment. Hang on to it.

Mean people suck!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.