Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ex military
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 06:34 AM
Ex military

How many of you are ex military? and how did you get interested in baja ? jim grooms
denver
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 07:13 AM

I didn't serve but I was born on an american army base in France while my dad was serving. Many of my friends are Nam vets.
Many of them have a hard time with starched shirts and too many rules.
They are an independent group of survivors and explorers.

Baja seems the perfect fit.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 07:35 AM

I served in the United States Navy from 1968 to 1972. After boot camp and communications school I spent two years shore duty at NAVCOMSTA in Rota, Spain. Then the remaining time aboard the USS Inchon, LPH-12, based in Norfolk, VA. My last 6-months was spent on a Med-Cruise, which was very interesting to say the least.

I moved from Miami, FL in 1984 to San Diego, CA. Met a friend who's family owned a home just North of Ensenada, in Cibola del Mar where we would go down every once and awhile with several other friends on weekends. Met more locals in the area who started talking about places of interest further south and my wife and I began to explore more and more. Been going back ever since to see more of Baja!

Bob H

[Edited on 7-30-2006 by Bob H]
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 08:38 AM

I served from 1955 till 1976 in the us navy spending most of my time as a minewarfare electrician, did 1 tour in viet nam in the brownwater navy on a river minesweeper and a tour as a advisor and was involved in sweeping the mines from hiapong harbor . first went to baja (san felipe ) in 1952 and got hooked on the fishing , later while in the navy went to the area below ensanada often to camp and fish santo thomas erendera punta prieta punta banda, , most of those trips were on a triumph trophy and in a 57 international pickup,those were before the road was paved and it was pretty desolate ,then after retireing with a cartop tin boat and a 75 chvy van went all over mostly the cortez side till my wife did not like it any more and didn;t go back till 85 or so don't go as much as i would like due to health reasons but going for a month or 6 weeks in oct nov a fast run to assuncion for a week then to sandiego to refill ox bottles then back to san guintin el rosario anf santo thomas area then more oxygen then to s/f and gonzogo for a while maybe some of you folks want to accompany me jim grooms denver
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 09:21 AM

Jim:

Navy 1955 - 1960 most all aboard USS Bremerton CA130 (Heavy Cruiser)

I bet you could get some pilots to bring down OXY for you so you wouldn't have to travel back and forth. I know I would be happy to and will be back and for th to Cabo several times. Could stop anywhere between Durango and Cabo to drop of what you need.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 09:24 AM
vet?

yup....2 tours to viet nam.....that has however nothing to do with my interest in latin america. ive been traveling/living in mexico,central/south america since i was a kid.....just appeals to me i guess
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 09:24 AM

Retired US Army (Reserve and National Guard) Captain (20 years, 10 months and 9 days!!!). Enlisted in 1966, went through OCS in 1978 and retired in 1987. Various units and assignments (EOD, Ordnance, Military Intelligence). Last unit (other than current Retired Reserve)was the "Fighting IRR". Hope to start collecting $$$ from Uncle Sam soon. Started travelling in Baja in 1962 while in high school, day trips to Rosarito and Ensenada....bitten by the bug and still have the fever!!!!

Retired recently as a Lieutenant with the Nevada DPS, and we just purchased (under construction) a home at the Baja Counrty Club in Ensenada.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 10:00 AM

Reel job I usually haul enough ox to last a couple of weeks , and just to cover my butt i get refilled every chance i get even going back to el norte to do it, i dont think i can get my bottles refilled down there , i know in san felipe i can't i have to have them brought from mexicali , and it needs to be medical grade, so i usually stay close to the border and keep close track of my reserve , as every once in a while a what i think is full bottle is really empty, and don't like depending on other folks to much , but thanks for the offer
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 10:14 AM

Jim, did 4 years in the 50's on West Coast minesweepers. No wars or conflicts then. I was in the Battle of Seattle -- me, my pal and 2 other drunks. Radarmen were critical - made E 6 is 3 years, 4 months. Did not want to ship over but I told em I'd extend for 24 hours if they made me Lt. Commander by 13:00.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 10:29 AM

Where you on the mso's or the am's
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 11:21 AM

USMC 1960 - 1966. Cuban Crisis then Far East for 13 mos. First enlisted men were sent into Vietnam the day I saild for the States.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 11:48 AM

My father, 1 uncle, and maternal grandfather were Naval Officers and Academy (USNA) Grads, and another uncle was a Marine Officer in WW II (Pacific Theater), but I never took the plunge-----just never interested me, and I was highly discouraged from joining by my surviving relatives.

My widowed mother and her sister began taking me to Baja in about 1948------they were real backcountry campers, and introduced me to the boonies of Baja back then, when I was 10. We later owned a second home on the cliffs above the Pacific at Punta Banda, just north of Rosarita Beach, for about 10 years. Started going to back country Baja on my own in about 1954-----been going back ever since.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 12:07 PM

USMC 1961-1964 active. 13 months in the Far East. Went over as a 106 mm "Reckless Rifle" gunner. Became an intelligence scout. Broke the range record with the .45 at Camp Schwab. Assigned to the Far East Division Rifle and Pistol Team. Just before I'd have gotten to go back to the "world" to shoot at Camp Perry, we mounted out and sailed in circles in the Tonkin Gulf for what seemed to be about half a lifetime! (Floating Battalion) Got out with two stripes just before Christmas '64

After college, I moved to San Diego and through Lucky Yamaha, San Diego Suzuki, and Suzuki Lemon Grove, where I was a mechanic, became exposed to the riding in the Laguna Juarez area.

I was then officially hooked. Military/Baja connection? If any, it would have to be the lure of what's over the next hill, and can I get back without help.:lol:

Semper Fi

[Edited on 7-30-2006 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 12:22 PM
GREAT THREAD

no formal sevice. been building military (camp pendleton, pt mugu-port hueneme, vandenberg, yuma proving ground, murphy canyon, etc...) housing for the past long time. consider this my way of giving back to those who give so much, in so many ways.

the baja connection runs deep. surfers and carpenters are a peso a dozen. first time was 9th grade (+/- '78) ditched school to go surf popotla.

been a baja junky ever since, thru good times and bad.....

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 12:25 PM

USS Boxer- went aboard at North Island it was CVS-21, 10 days later headed for the Canal and Norfolk, and when we got to Norfolk they had painted a big "4" on the stacks and we were the first LPH= LPH-4.
Went to boot camp in SD but was always afraid to go over to TJ on liberty, too many guys got in trouble in those days.

Went to Baja in 1971 to help a friend pit for the 1000- got totally hooked and built a truck and raced for the next 12 years, been back constantly since then (you can read about it in Bernie's new book)

Jim- not to open old sores, but do you recall the posts on medical Oxy last year? You need never worry about running out, oxy is oxy...
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 12:30 PM

USN 1948 - 1957 Chief Electronics Technician

Hawaii Barbers Point NAS Transmitter Station

Hawaii Ford Island Electronics Shop

Japan Instructor, Underway Training Element Yokosuka

China Lake Naval Ordinance Test Station, Guided Missile Unit 25

USS Gyatt DDG 712/DDG-1 World's First Guided Missile Destroyer

First trip to Baja: 1977 solo in an FJ-40 Land Cruiser to save my sanity due to a recent divorce.

Viva Dick Cepek and Armstrong Tru-Traks

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 12:42 PM

Jim, MSOs - one tin, one lumber. Spent a month one Xmas in the Sea of Japan trying to stop the Russians from shipping arms to whomever. No guns, top speed 13 knots. Two MSOs - kinda like a Mexican armada.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 12:44 PM

I'm way to old to have served (they didn't let us women serve back then)

I was the wife of Viet Nam vet, the daughter of a Korean War vet, and my Grand-Dad served in WWII........don't mean to hi-jack this thread, just wanted to say thank you to all of you that keep our country safe, and what it is THANKS!

Mean people suck!
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 01:10 PM

Spent over 13 years on mso,s 170 ft long 35 wide packard diesels slow rond bottom nasty ridiny s o b ,, loved them i retired cause the would not send me back to them in fact we visited accupulco on a sweep they kicked us out of port ,for having to much fun
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 02:11 PM

Jim, I went to Acapulco on the U.S.S. Toucan for R&R too in 1957
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.