BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Ex military
Qvanbruce
Junior Nomad

Mood: progressing (gracias a los nomads)

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 02:52 PM

Congrats for a great thread concept, Jim.

My first trip to Baja was to K38&1/2 on my first weekend liberty after getting back to the world. I'd actually taken off in my newly purchased '63 Econoline to Doheny &/or Dana Pt. for some much needed "olla-therapy", but much to my extreme displeasure and consternation my favorite stretch of surfing beaches had been magically changed into a giant marina. I'm still more than a little peeed about that!

My father had enlisted in USN, commissioned Ltjg, and went to assault boat training school in Coronado in the latter days of WWII prior to assignment to USS Montour, an ex-banana boat converted to APA. He participated in several of the amphibious ops in the central and W. Pacific.

I followed suit and, enlisting in '65, served 3 years aboard USS Windham County (LST1170). We were homeported in Yokosuka but spent most of our time doing logistic stuff and amphib. landings between Saigon and Da Nang. (If there's any Gator Sailors out there that wanta exchange sea stories, I'm E-able @ windmage47@msn.com).

Whilst still off in SE Asia pertectin' democracy from the yellow dominos, or whatever it was we were doing there, mi hermano, JRbaja, had started making fairly regular surf (&etc.) trips to N. Baja, I tagged along whenever I could.

[Edited on 8-2-2006 by Qvanbruce]

No fear, no loathing.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 03:24 PM

Entered Navy in '47, Korea all that stuff. Fled to the Air Force in 57. Retired in '69. Mostly geek duties, computers etc.

Left snow covered Boise Idaho for short vacation in 1996. Only returned to sell my house. Baja is home now.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 03:53 PM
Baja Bound

1950 -- First Trip to Baja - Tijuana (five years old).

1955 to 1960 -- Many trips to Tijuana (Horse Races and Jai Alai) and Ensenada (Fishing).

1963 -- USAF (Electronics Tech).

1966 -- First Trip to San Felipe (Thanksgiving).

1973 -- First Trip to Gonzaga Bay.

1976 -- Malarrimo Beach.

1978 to 1980 -- Numerous Small Plane and Auto trips to San Felipe, Gonzaga and beyond.

1981 -- First Time I saw Laguna Percebu.

1982 -- Leased First Lot at Laguna Percebu (Cinco de Mayo).

Since 1982 mostly trips to Percebu, Tijuana, Rosarito Beach and Ensenada. After my wife's retirement in 2002, we typically spend 75-80 % of our time in Baja September thru July, 25 % in August. Until slowed by a deteriorating Spinal condition, our great passion was sailing in Baja, San Diego, Inland Lakes with a couple of Bareboat vacations (1991 and 1992) in the U.S. and British Virgin Islands.

Pretty Mundane.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 03:53 PM

U.S. Navy....MSO 432. Served on the first ship in Vietnam. l961-1963 Gulf of Tonkin out of De Nang. Was an Rd3 on a kiddie cruise. Went in before 18 and got out before 21. Only qualified diver on board so I got to cut the fishing nets out of our screws while there. Started to go to Mexico when I was eight years old with my father. Went to Caliente Race Track every weekend possible. As I got older, I would borrow the car and go into town for some tourism---Club Mocambo, Blue Fox, etc. Got my high school sex education right there in Tijuana. Those were the days, my friend.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 04:01 PM

MSO's---anyone notice how many of us served on Minesweepers. Considering how few there were, must be a connection between serving on a 'sweep and liking the Baja. Wierd man.......

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 04:20 PM

There were 103 mso and 1 is all that is left and it is owned by a group of former mso sailors , ,.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 04:24 PM

We used the mso's to haul our trash....

Which is better than we treated the Jar-heads when we hauled them South from LeJeune...
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 04:27 PM

first trip to Mexico 1953

entered army 1969 unit 87 airborne

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 04:37 PM

Maybe we should move this thread to the off topic thread, i hope no one is upset but this seems to have taken on a life of its own
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 05:12 PM

Don't take my posts there,
I don't believe in that place!
YIKES!!!
please, oh please, don't take me there!!!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 05:56 PM

You guys go for it.
I also have not joined in the cat house thread although there is a good one between La Paz and San Jose...las delisiosas.:dudette:

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 06:24 PM

Comitan nothing at all wrong with we all deal with our past in different ways, I left the navy in 76 and for over 25 years i just wanted to forget like a lot of vets i felt guilty about getting back in one piece when so many diddn,t , i don,t know if you fall in that category or not but you did what was asked and that was more than enough , and that goes for all vets and active duty folks jim
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 06:47 PM

Please continue. This is interesting. Some translation of the jargon would be helpful though.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 07:59 PM

Oladuce a mso is a mine sweeper ocean, 175 ft woodem nonmagnetic ship alst is a landing ship tank used for landing tanks on beaches gators are anphibious ships used to transport troops and equipment , any thing specific just ask
RonnieRockCod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 08:08 PM

Osprey, No war in the 50's? Seems I remember one called The Korean War from '50 until about '53. It was a lousy war but the only one we had.

Debra, don't know how old you are but we had Women Marines before WWII.

Comitan, what was your MOS? If it was other than 03 (Infantry), then I don't understand your attitude.

Enlisted at 18 yrs in Oct, 46, USMC. Wounded Korea, Aug '50 as Machine Gun Section Leader. Tour of duty in Vietnam as Captain, 0302, retired '68.

First visit to Baja (Ti Juana) Jan, '47 after Boot Camp. Camping, fishing there ever since. Good luck to all. RRC
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 08:15 PM

so ronnie....

you should be called "Captain RonnieRockCod" :biggrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 08:31 PM

This is ON topic :)

I'd never have seen this thread if it was in the OFF topic area... (I don't go there).

I missed the Viet Nam draft by a couple of years....

My dad, RIP, was WW2 Coast Guard (thus, Navy) radioman in the pacific. Injured & Disabled.

My brother and I (now 52 and 50), used to lay awake nights listening to him tell his stories from the war.... The USS Basswood, The USS Nemeha (sp?)... He left out the more horrific things when we were small....

I still have my dad's last Ham radio set.... We also used to lay awake nights listening to him "work the nets" in the late 50's and through the 60's....

I sometimes imagine tuning into just the right frequency and hearing his voice....... W7MAY, in Spokane Washington, standing by........ RIP..

He never made it to Baja, but he had ham buddies who he talked to decades ago... I still have many of the postcards that he received from ham radio pals....

Thanks to all of you who did your duty. It is a major slice out of this short life we have.

I wish ALL present-day Americans had the personal responsibility and accountability that you've lived.

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 08:33 PM

US Air Force Security Service (military arm of NSA), Flight Commander, spent most of the time between 1963 and 1968 in the confluence of countries that technically don't exist anymore: West Germany, East Germany and Czechoslovakia. Anyone ever been to the 5K zone?

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 09:03 PM

US navy 1961- 1966 VS 35 aboard USS Hornet CVS 12 our squadron was based at NAS North Island. Lived in Imperial Beach and did my shopping in TJ...Capt, sharky we may know the same girls. After we lost our first 2 aircraft. missiles over Turtle Island, We spent most of our time off Da Nang at Yankee station. Was extended 4 months that I was OK with, but was starting to wonder what was happening to the world. First the Cuban missile crisis, then Kennedy shot on my birthday. now the president declares war on North Viet Nam days after we lose 8 people over Turtle Island. I still remember everyone listening to the loudspeaker and being stunned for a couple seconds and then cheering. After that nobody thought about it much, just launched plane after plane around the clock, slept on the deck and tried to keep pace.
One day in January 1966 they flew me off to Yokosuka it was over for me.
Some time in the seventy's I began Coast fishing mainland Mexico, mostly Mazatlan, because it was the cheapest. Never thought about Baja, because it cost twice as much to fish in San Lucas. Met a guy few years back who had a house in Todos Santos and a neighbor who needed a house sitter. Been hook ever since.Viva Baja!

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 07:21 AM

USAF - Captain Koren War (Police Action?)

First trip to Ensenada, Baja, December 1951 as a college student/ diver searching for clean, clear warm water- discovered clean, clear very cold water. Returned after college & USAF- with a wet suit. ( It was released to civilain market in March 1953)

Explored northern Baja since mid 1950s in 1942 4x4 Dodge WW11 surplus ambulance, VW bug, VW van and most recently Toyota PUs.

Dean
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.