Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: mulege, the mexican mayberry
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 07:14 AM
mulege, the mexican mayberry

ahh mulege, what a breath of fresh air ! a small town where everyone knows everyone, and if you dont it wont be long before you do. its mexico, and everyone here is here for the same reason, and wants to keep it that way. people come here for what it is and dont try to change it into the place they came from. a ride through town is almost parade like, as everone smiles and waves as you pass. everyone is considerate of everyone else, and when there is help needed by anyone, there is usually a line of people to lend a hand. i cant think of anywhere in the world that is like it ! problems ? a few but they usually dont stay long .

[Edited on 7-30-2006 by mulege marv]

Want what you have
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 07:30 AM

Sounds like a good place for eco-development!:cool::cool::cool:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 07:33 AM

Couldn't agree more Marv. Wish i could be there more than i get to. Work gets in the way. someday it will be my home.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 08:58 AM
bancoduo

love your nick nolte avitar ! :lol::lol::lol:
looks like he was at the same party as glen cambell !

thats funny right there !

Want what you have
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 09:16 AM
mayberry?

i love mulege, lots of great people, locals and expats. however it reminds me more of johannesburg than mayberry. 90% of the gringos live in one neighborhood. and then when they do venture to towne, go to one of 3-4 bars and resturants. sort of a self-imposed
apartheid.....
todoamiga

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 10:19 AM

Pacificobob I gotta say I think you have the wrong impression of gringos here... and of the mexican community as well (and to note... there?s not a heck of a lot more in town besides the 3-4 bars, restaurants, and trinket shops!).

I?m a newbie, only 6 months Mulege young... but it doesn?t take long getting to know the gringos and mexicans alike to learn how interconnected the two are. It blows my mind at times the history of the locals and their families, jobs, etc. that gringo friends of mine relay effortlessly off the tip of their tongue -- because they care, live here and are part of what is a very inter-related community. Sure... a lot of gringo development happens in certain areas more than others (where in Baja is that not true?) so it can seem segregated - but these developments, RV parks, etc. are mainly mexican-owned and run - with a lot of connection and history between the two cultures, persons, etc. there as well.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 10:33 AM

Mulege is awesome. I first came down there in my uncles plane when I was in 6th grade and we introduced the frisbee to the locals. I would now like to get a small piece of the pie but my visits to the two realtors, Lorane and Pierce were not very productive. Is there anyone else that might be selling some semi-desolate beachfront in the mulege area (30 miles either direction) without charging an arm and a leg.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 10:40 AM
Mulege Marv----

-----a wonderful place, Mulege!! and a great picture.

In line with your comment that "everybody knows everybody", (or something like that)--------I have a little book called "Mulege" by Kerry Otterstrom (aka Vikingo) given to me by the author several years ago while we were visiting Mulege(actually quite a few years ago). Have you heard of this guy, and is he still around? He seemed like a very colorful person, to us, and we enjoyed talking to him, and reading his book.
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 10:52 AM
huh

i will have to look that book up, didnt know it even existed !
kerry otterstom doesnt ring a bell, but that doesnt mean he isnt still here. i will find out, and thanks for the heads up on the book !

Want what you have
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 11:07 AM

I have that book by El Vikingo too. Never met him, but I believe they sold the book at El Candil in town, and that maybe Kerry was a bartender (?) there at one point - and also acted as a local tour guide as well.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 11:39 AM

Yes marv. Your Description is right on the Money.
Mulege:
A lot of the early development of Mulege was due to a guy named Fred Mazzi- Fresno California-Owner of the Mazzi Flying School .
he started taking people/Fisherman to Muelge long before the road Opened.
Many formed a "Gin Drinking Group" where anybody could stop by for Gin and conversation under the Towering Trees nearly every Afternoon.
Saul came to Town and ran the old Hotel Muelge where Fun was had by all.
Even a Little fellow with License plate "Dive" on his chevy Truck and a Loud off Road Motorcycle. He finally got run out of the Trailer Park because he "Mooned his neighbor,who did not like his Loud Bike and Habit of Dropping his Drawers in full sight!!
Built the First House on the Hill on the other side of the River, stood in Plain sight and Peed into the River.
The Home of "Baja Patty"
The Streets of Muelge-Home to my Very good Friend "Pabalo " who dove 105 Feet to get me "Black Coral'

The Streets of "MontyNegro" who was run out of San Nicholas after his Wife found him on the Beach with several of the Mexicano girls of San Nicholas.
She took all his clothes and left in the middle of the Night!
The Sunday Night Dances with a Guard at each Door armed with an ak47 to make sure there was no Trouble.
You are in a good Place. Enjoy!

Skeet/Loreto
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 11:46 AM
Doug-----

-----you are correct---Kerry was a bar tender at el Candil when we met him while having lunch. It was mid day, we were the only patrons, and we had a long a very interesting conversation with Kerry. I believe that he gave me and my friend each the book he wrote, but we may have paid for them----I just am not sure. I looked it up in my notes and it was June of 1996.

It is a "fun" little book, and very interesting.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
I have that book by El Vikingo too. Never met him, but I believe they sold the book at El Candil in town, and that maybe Kerry was a bartender (?) there at one point - and also acted as a local tour guide as well.

--
Doug

I saw him there several times in the 90s.....but he was DEFINITELY on the other side of the bar each time I saw him.

Well, unless, the bar had some good perks for the employees. :lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 12:00 PM
I forgot to say---------

---that the rest of the title to the book is "The complete tourism, souvenir, and historical guide of Mulege" and it is 160 pages long, and was printed in Tijuana by "IMAC IMPRESOS"----First Edition copyright 1992 by Kerry G. Otterstrom, a publication of Elizabeth Yee de Otterstrom. There are quite a few interesting black and white photos and artwork, all be Kerry Otterstrom.

Kerry inscribed a nice note and signature and date inside the front cover of the book that I have. He was a jolly fellow, and we enjoyed him very much------he appeared to be sober when we spoke to him, but he was sure serving us the drinks, just like a normal bar-tender. :lol: He volunteered to take us up to the pictographs up in the mountains, but regrettably we did not have the time. We were camped out at Punta Chivato for a week, and just went into Mulege for the day when the big winds came up at Chivato.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 12:03 PM
Thieves, murderers and thugs

are all over Mulege. ;D
Please pass thru quietly after spending your money in town.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Marv...... AMEN, and thanks for another oustanding photo!

also......

very bad seafood available!!!:wow:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 12:09 PM
Funny you say that, Sharks-------

---------as lone unattended camper and motorhomes both north, and south of Mulege, usually on the beaches, have been burglarized in the past 5 years on several occasions. Who knows where the purpatrators came from, but Mulege is under suspicion. Still, all groups of people have their crazies (criminals) in them, and probably Mulege is no exception. Obviously a very dangerous place :lol: but I have heard no recent (last 1 year??) reports of problems.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 12:22 PM
Corretamundo Barry

I would say "watch your stuff" when visiting the playas near Mulege. Why they haven't nabbed those banditos is strange. Their motis operandi is always the same. Wait till the gringos get away from the vehicle then smash and dash.
If you leave your vehicle open, you stand a better chance of driving away with a complete car. This prob has been going on for years.

Of course there ARE other deterrents.;D

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 02:09 PM

I am torn between endorsing Marv's description of Mulege and spreading rumor and disinformation so that fear mongers keep going right on down the highway. I don't like them much in the U.S. either. I live in Mulege much of the time and my smile is not for sale. So....regarding the secret magic of Mulege....shhhhhhh. :moon:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 02:19 PM

Well, one thang is sure. The sun got to Marv! :cool: Suerte!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 02:38 PM

Was thinking about visiting Mulege, but now have second thoughts. Gonna just assume the fetal position behind locked doors and hope for the best! Maybe nobody will hurt me. :lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.