Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Paving the road to Paradise
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 08:15 PM

Looks like more quarry than is needed just to finish the road to Puertecitos.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 09:55 PM
They are doing a much superior job---

This time over the first attempt.
I kept telling my wife that the contractor that did the first attempt at paving the road is still in some resort with two putas enjoying his "profits" !!!

They are now installing a better "base" which is required to support the asphalt. The native sand and gravel under the old stuff, wouldn't support any weight!

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 08:07 AM
MrBillM

Thanks for the progress report and picture. We hear so many things in Baja and it is often difficult to sort the facts from the fiction.I realize that many here are against road improvements and I respect their opinions, but after three decades of jeeping and 4 wheeling I am ready for a more comfortable ride to Gonzaga. There will always be hundreds of miles of extremely challenging trails in Baja that will never be improved. In regards to the original paving on the Puertecitos road "one" of the stories is that the work was performed by three contractors who were eventually sent to prison. The further south they paved, the thinner the asphalt was placed. According to this version the Mexican official in charge of inspecting the work overflew it and bought off the project from that vantage point.

[Edited on 8-6-2006 by BajaRob]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 10:38 AM
Corrupted Paving

I have heard similar studies regarding the corrupt officials. In the version I heard, the "officials" (or contractors ?) responsible took the money and ran to San Diego where they invested it in Real estate. There is some corroboration in that version in a book (fiction) written by Joseph Wambaugh set in San Diego and Coronado. If you're familiar with Coronado, there is a group of very tall Condo buildings dominating the skyline. In the book, Wambaugh noted that the locals called them the "Taco Towers" because the finances came from embezzled money that the expatriate Mexicans brought North with them.

The "Gravel Pit" photo only covers half of the operation so it is pretty big. The next months should be interesting. Like you, I've made enough trips to Gonzaga over the original road, that I'd like to go back without beating myself and my truck to death.
Besides, unlike the original, there's nothing interesting about the existing road, it's just ROUGH.
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 10:02 PM

The quarry's been there for more than 2 yrs. This phase of the road improvement is budgeted as far as Puerticitos this year, and Gonzaga next year. They did incredible work all summer when they went from 32 to 52, BUT -- the increase in traffic is incredible also, especially the people driving trucks pulling trailers, buggies, etc., racing like mad, and tearing up the road AGAIN! Obviously those people don't live here, just come, enjoy - mess up and tear up. It's disappointing. If anyone is pulling out of a Campo to get on this road, they must stop and look.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 11:50 PM

Bajaleero, Beercan, Slowmad,

" In some sort of way I feel embarrassed to be a human every time I see some lardazz in a huge motorhome with the latest big screen GPS on the dash traveling down Mex 1

Like he's going to get lost or something?"
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I've travelled the penninsula since 1967, never got lost. well...not too lost! I've driven all kinds of vehicles, Pick up, Fj40, 4 stroke, 2 stroke and even my (Oh, My God, he's going to say it) MOTORHOME!!

If you don't like my motorhome, don't look at it!!! I don't complain about that piece of mierda you drive!

and contrary to what you think, My AZZ isn't that big. :fire:

Lard....uh, I mean BEDMAN

[Edited on 8-7-2006 by Bedman]
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 07:06 AM
Gone fishing

Thanks for all the imput both pro and con. It's enlightening to have a civil discourse of differing viewpoints. Will check back in a week.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 07:25 PM

yea steveo we know what size your donkey is an we look forward too your next margs, will be down in augest:bounce::coolup:
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 07:55 PM

4Baja, I'll be Mixin like a Wild man trying to keep glasses filled!!!

Bedman
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 08:47 PM

I'm glad I had the chance to go down to Gonzaga BEFORE this improvemement. What an experience that was, with my 3,500 pound cabover camper. Now I can compare the difference. Hah! It will be interesting to see what happens with development aftrewards.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2006 at 12:33 AM

My last trip was in my motorhome...Yup, had a Great time, of course the road had'nt been improved then. :spingrin:

Bedman
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 8-8-2006 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I'm glad I had the chance to go down to Gonzaga BEFORE this improvemement. What an experience that was, with my 3,500 pound cabover camper. Now I can compare the difference. Hah! It will be interesting to see what happens with development aftrewards.
Bob H

Hey Bob, I was wondering how it was with the camper? I'm guessing you came down from Puertecitos. How many hours, what kind of speeds and how much damage? :O

I'm shopping for a new suspension for my mini Toyota truck camper and want to make that run in December.

Wish I had a tow vehicle with a road grading implement attached, as in the Bedman method, but it'll just be me and the dog and she's a horrible driver. :wow:

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2006 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Bob H

Hey Bob, I was wondering how it was with the camper? I'm guessing you came down from Puertecitos. How many hours, what kind of speeds and how much damage? :O

I'm shopping for a new suspension for my mini Toyota truck camper and want to make that run in December.

Wish I had a tow vehicle with a road grading implement attached, as in the Bedman method, but it'll just be me and the dog and she's a horrible driver. :wow:

Hello EC.... we came in from San Felipe. It took us 6 hours of very slow driving after passing through Puertecitos. NO damage, just slow driving on very bad washboard. We camped at Papa Fernandez and it was great. That first morning there we went kayaking over the most smooth water I had ever seen. You'll make it fine, just slow going.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 06:42 PM
Beercan

Are you back? What it be like?
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 07:12 PM
El Camote....

Daisy, parralell Barking...er Parking!! She does better in the 4 x 4.

Send yer pootch to Miss Daisy's Driving School.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.