Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1st time travelers
escristian

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 05:19 PM
1st time travelers

1st time travelers

Hello.
Me and my girlfriend (both in our mid-twenties) are traveling to Baja for the first time. We're landing in San Diego on Friday (August 4th), heading out to Baja on Saturday, spending a total of 7 days in Baja. I speak fluent Spanish so language is not an issue. But we do have some questions:

1.- Is bus travel reliable? We're trying to not drive to keep the price down and avoid the hastle of having to rent, and maintain a car. But will we be able to do most of the best spots by bus?

2.- Is it too hot to camp out right now? Also I read about rattlesnakes and scorpions being more active in summer, should we reconsider camping on the beach?

3.- What about the cash situation. Are there ATM's in many municipalities because keeping a large sum of cash is never a good idea. From what I read credit cards are not accepted in a lot of places.

4.- What Can't miss stops should we do (don't think we'll have time to make to Baja sur) I read about Bahia Los Angeles that seems really nice, but getting there by bus doesn't seem to be easy. We don't really want to stay in tourist traps (Tijuana or Cabo), prefer nature and beaches.

Thank you, I'm sure these questions were answered before but honestly I just don't have time to search too much and time is running out, kind of freaking out a bit .
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 05:33 PM

Bahia de L.A. will be VERY hot and humid for the next 4-6 weeks... otherwise it is on my list of top sites.

Without a vehicle, you are very limited on what to see... on your own.

Perhaps just take your own bus tour... stop in various places and you will fall in love with the peninsula...

San Ignacio, Mulege would be two places to spend a couple days each in... however it is the HOT and humid season... hurricanes even.

A very good web site with lots of details on most Baja destinations is Carlos Fiesta's http://www.BAJAEXPO.com check it out!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 05:43 PM

well, you have carved out an almost impossible task....
See Baja by bus, in a week or less.
and in August when the Gulf is a furnace (with humidity thrown in)
Why not rent an inexpensive car on the US side, be sure to get MexInsur.
Gas is somewhat cheaper in Baja.
Drive down as far south as El Rosario, or even better yet to Catavina.
You will be close enough to the coast to avoid heat, if necessary, great beach to camp at El Rosario, miles and miles of awesome free-range camping in Catavina.
If the heat is too much then head up to the San Martir Parque Nacional and visit the observatorio.
We camped two days up there last month, it was delightful, cool (some monster thunderstorms at times) and a great spot. Good road, too, check out my posts of a couple weeks ago on the observatorio road.
You will then have the flexibility to shop a bit in Ensenada and Guadalupe Valley- lots of post on these as well here on Nomad.
Buen Suerte!!! Baja is muy cool, even when it is hot!!!
(and the real Baja does not start until you get south of San Quintin, so be sure and get there ASAP)
David K
Honored Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 7-31-2006 at 05:53 PM
"The Real Baja"

Is anywhere you go once you catch 'Baja Fever'...

Seeing BOOJUM TREES usually does it for me! Called 'cirios' by the locals as they resemble candle sticks... the flowering top is the flame. The following photos all taken east of El Rosario and near Rancho San Antonio...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 06:02 PM

1. I have never taken a bus in Baja but just about everyone says they're very good. We hear about ABC busses the most.

2. This year has been different weatherwise. In Bahia de Los Angeles 2 weeks ago it was 90-100 during the days and 80-90 at night. There were thunderstorms and lightening in the gulf and near Bahia de Los Angeles. Also, there was a 5.8 earthquake a few days ago but it was centered, I believe, well to the south.

3. There are ATM's in the larger towns and cities. The last ATM I know of, going south, in San Quintin. The next ATM is in Guerrero Negro. There is usually a limit as to how much cash you can take out, e.g. Guerrero Negro is ~$400.00 USD

4. If you take a bus you're limited by the places you can go. In Baja, many of the most interesting places require significant dirt driving and with that goes experience in driving under those conditions. Most of the colonial towns are in Baja Sur and take longer to get to. But if you're on a bus, who cares?

As you mentioned, Bahia de Los Angeles seems like and actually is a special place. There are campgrounds, a number of simple and 1 fancy hotel, miles of usually tranquil beaches, a Jesuit mission a number of miles away, a museum, a turtle sanctuary where you can work with turtles at the right times. There is claming and typically great fishing and many islands to explore, etc, etc. While the bus doesn't go there, it does pass by the junction between Highway 1 and the Bahia road, which is good quality pavement. Unless you have an ungainly amount of gear, you can hitchhike the remaining 44 miles with no problem. There is a bus stop at the junction. I don't know if the bus stop can call the small taxt service in the Bahia, but that might be a possibility. Regarding safety in hitchhiking, I have done this around most parts of the peninsula and never encountered a problem.

Good luch and let us know how your trip went or if you have other questions.
escristian

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 07:03 PM

Thanks for the advice.
For sure I will post back some pictures and a little run-down of what we do.

I'm still not sure about what we're going to do. Honsetly the reason we don't want to drive is because we both don't like driving fast (accidents you know) and 2 lane highways overlooking a cliff don't give me the greatest of feelings. If not beleive me I've be renting an car and heading off-road.
But then again I went to Peru, in the moutains, in a 65 beetle (I wasn't driving) and had the time of my life so we'll see.

If we come up with an tentative itenerary before friday I'll post it for suggestions. But I have a feeling we'll do a game time decision on what to do in Baja.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 09:31 PM

If you are timid about driving, Baja Hwy 1 is not the place to be. But I agree, you will miss a lot by not getting off the main road. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be back for a second helping.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 09:38 PM

I just took the bus from San Diego to Tijuana , and then the bus from Tijuana to Loreto. It took about 18-19 hours. Stops are at the major towns on the way on Hwy 1.

Cost 1060 pesos one way. Nice modern busses. Not so good if time is a problem, but far cheaper than flying.

Any questions about the bus ask and I'll elaborate if I can.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 06:57 AM

When you use the ATM's be sure to remember to add a zero to the amount you want, if you are getting pesos....I cant tell you how many times people wind up with 300 pesos and cant use the card again until the next day.

Casa Lere just off the square in San Ignacio would be a good base of operations. Jane is the owner and a wonderful lady who knows all there is to know about San Ignacio.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 02:32 PM

Are you sure that you want to spend nearly two full days on the ABC if you only have a week?
I ride the ABC from Mexico City to Puebla frequently, only two hours, very comfortable, but two hours is plenty.
Also, the view out the side windows is mostly a blur, you will not really "see Baja" out the side of the ABC.
And, San Ignacio will be hot- probably real hot. The side treks with Kuyima, hoever, are very doable and would be a great add-on to the trip.
Still think you should rent a car and follow my suggestion.
As to the ATM, yes, it shows a ($) sign next to the amount requested, but that is in pesos, so if it sez $200, you will get 200 pesos which equals about $17.75. (I know, that is what I did in Manedero- not what I wanted)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 07:16 PM

Interesting the dollar sign ($) is used for Pesos as well... Actually, the dollar sign for the United States should have two lines through the S as in U S (United States), one letter over the other, with the bottom of the U left out.

I have seen an S with two lines used in Mexico to denote dollars and an S with one line for Pesos when both are side by side.

Many other countries call their money dollars and use the S with one line.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2006 at 07:48 PM

hea most of the ppl here are older my self included so just look at a map make a plan and take off memories are not made of everything worked out just as planded
live every minuite and be flexable just do it and injoy it the p[eople in mexico are as good as it gets

jerry and judi
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 02:23 PM
David K's Photo's

Great pics. Tuff country!:D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.