Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The mountains south of Todos Santos
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2003 at 01:40 PM
The mountains south of Todos Santos

What do you think of the mountains south of Todos Santos? Is it an area that's good for exploring? How dry is it there, say, in the Spring? I've heard that there are some nice little towns there, too, even though it's fairly close to Cabo.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2003 at 03:33 PM

I've travelled the roads up down that way a number of times. I usually head up Naranjas road east of the SJdC airport and end up just south of Pescadero at the place with the dolphin statues on the wall. Another option is to head up via the old airport in Cabo.

Anyways, during years of rain, the mountains are lush and green. But, the road is likely to wash out after a storm, too. So be prepared!

There's a great river/creek to play in. Also, there are lots of mangos and papayas. I've also heard of hot springs but don't have any specific info.

As for towns, I'd say more like villages. People seem friendly enough. One year, we purchased corrizo (bamboo) for a palapa at one of the villages.

Look forward to hearing what others post.

Zac
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-2-2003 at 04:21 PM

It is a great area (biased since it's my home turf). The foothills south of todos santos are strung with windy roads but only the narajas road cuts thru to the other side. If you come down south of todos and pescadero you will come to the afore mentioned villa with the seahorses on the wall just before Rancho Nueveo. Thats Donna's house and a very well known marker. Make a right and head up into those hills. The road across is barely passable in 4WD right now but should be better by this Spring. You will find tiny villages that specialize in pottery (candelaria), rustic furniture ala bent palo d'arco, and local cheese and machaca. lots of water falls. Particularly nice and running year round (in the mountains) is the gaspereno arroyo further south just past the 82 - 83 KM before the distinctive Hump. turn up the sandy arroyo, stay on the left and don't turn off the tire tracks. in about 2-3 miles you will come to a water fall. hike up it to about 4-5 miles of running water, palm trees Giant fig trees, little mini oasis until you reach the village of matanzitas. it's a great day hike. On the other side of the mountains from the village of Santiago you can hike up the hot springs canyon where there are wonderful giant pools of water that you can dive into from the rocks. the hot springs are small and not that great but the hike up into the sierra is fantastic and takes you up into the national park to devils peak.

If you are looking to stay at an incredible B&B right in the area check out

www.cocinapacifica.com

incredible rooms, hot tub, pool, cooking classes and great meals.

(note these guys are just my neighbors and I swear I get no kickback)

some Nomads have stayed there and loved it.

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by Bajabus]

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2003 at 06:16 PM
Los Cascades

There is a report I wrote about this area on Freds board under "Baja wirh Mike," titled "Santiagos Los Cascades." It's an interesting area with what seems like many families that have lived there forever. In retirement I know I'll do more exploring there. I've never done the route across the mountains that Bus is talking about but am chomping at the bit for it.
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 01:30 PM
Thanks. What's Fred's board?

Thanks, guys -- really appreciate this information. The B&B looks good if I decided to take the family, but that's not the current plan.

What's Fred's board, though?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 02:41 PM

Freds board is an excellent no nonsense board about baja.
freds board

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 06:47 PM

This area sounds great! Is there any possiblity of getting hold of a couple of horses to ride into it? I'll be in La Paz for a week right after Christmas, and I'd love to see it. I've found that hiking is a whole lot easier on the back of a gentle ole nag.
It seems perfect for a day ride. Any leads?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 11:22 PM

several places rent out horses or burros for trips up. Ask around in TS. I'll be back down on Dec 12th and can check for you if you remind me. In the mean time here is a great story, part of which depicts a horse trip up to the Sierra. If you don't want to read the whole story just scroll down to the part entitled Sierra de la laguna:

great baja tale

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:54 AM
Well, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Now I have printed out 7 fresh pages to read that will keep me up until 2 and I'll get fired and come live with someone south. Jack's Baja Stories??? Is there no end? All the great stuff. OK. I'll go read now.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-6-2003 at 11:37 PM
Horse/burro rentals

Thanks, Bajabus. I will send you a reminder to check out possible rental outfits for a day's ride into the mountains when you get there. I appreciate your willingness to do this. Muchisimos gracias.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2003 at 07:56 AM

No problem A, My pleasure.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.