Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrical connection from meter to house
egrpoet

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 03:32 PM
Electrical connection from meter to house

I need to run electricity to my house.
The distance from the meter to the house is about 420 feet.
What gage wire I need, to run the entire electrical load with no drop in voltage?
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 04:01 PM

i dont know what the formula is but in order to compute it they will need
amperage at the meter copper is different them alumineum
your smart in doing it right low voltage is the cause of burning up a lot of moters

jerry and judi
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 04:29 PM

Having laid 220 into my home with #2 aluminum and suffered the fate of a small nick in the insulation and a false ground which destroyed a whole bunch of appliances,

I suggest you use nothing smaller than #6 copper and if put underground place in well sealed PVC.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 04:39 PM

Do not use the orange plastic conduit they sell in the Feriterias in Mexico, as it deteriorates real fast, yes PVC and make it large enough to snake the wire through one size larger than you think. or snake as you go.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by egrpoet
What gage wire I need, to run the entire electrical load with no drop in voltage?

Uh.........what is the total electrical load? You need to have some idea. I recommend that you get an experienced electrician.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 05:17 PM

the load will very at different times
it is nessary to get the full amperage at the meter if you have main breakers there add them up will give you total amperage or ask the supplyer what maxium amperge is avalable to that meter this will work if at a later date someone installs bigger breakers and use wire for that amperage and the distance you need to go
go bigger rather then smaller
seems theres allway another thing to be added to the load

jerry and judi
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Do not use the orange plastic conduit they sell in the Feriterias in Mexico, as it deteriorates real fast, yes PVC and make it large enough to snake the wire through one size larger than you think. or snake as you go.

Uh-oh.

:lol:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 05:54 PM

hea don as long as your using underground rated wire its better then nothing and once underground it wont rot as quick as above im using that same stuff as irragation line for the last 3 yrs and some is above ground so far so good

jerry and judi
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 06:18 PM

you first need to know your load before you can answer the question.

if you bury your service feed in conduit you must use cable special for that use . it will be written right on the insulation, or you will suffer the same fate as comitan.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 06:20 PM

Poet wire size #4awg 100 amps so at that distance i would run #2 because of voltage drop, put it in 2 1/2 inch scd 40 pvc ,, dig 2 ft trench you will need 3 #2 awg 2 hot's 1 neutral and marh them so you cn tell which is which, use yellow wire lube to lube the wire when pulling much easier to pull use lots of it, also run a ground wire a # 4 is good put 4 or 5 inches of clean sand on top of the pvc (keeps rocks from breaking the pvc), then back fill get the dirt wet and drive the lenght of it to compact the dirt,. i did elect work for over 50 years and that is the minimum i would do on a house i was doing for any one of course if you are running it over head use #2- 3 cond triplex with a ground jim g
egrpoet

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 07:17 PM

Great information!!. I will go underground with sealed PVC piping.
I will hire an experienced electrician but I want to purchase the copper wire myself (copper went up 400% in one year) and maybe save a few bucks.

Tnx guys
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 07:59 PM

420 foot run is pretty long. I would put a plastic 12x24 plastic hand hole in the middle of the run. These can be purchased with the conduit supplies. Sometimes 3-inch conduit is the same price as 2 1/2. The 2-foot depth mentioned is good, but if the conduit is in an area of non-use 1 foot would be ok. Copper wire is very expensive. I would suggest 2-1/0, 1-#2 aluminum for that size run. It will be a lot cheaper then copper. Do not nick the insulation. I made a lot of money in my life on bad underground wire!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 09:50 PM

theres a lot of direct buiral wire that will sufice just buiry it deep enoff

jerry and judi
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 09:56 PM

#4 - 3 UG cable is sheathed for direct underground installation but it costs a bunch.
Conduit is more work but much better if you ever have to replace the wire.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 05:58 AM

In calif the code requires that underground elect be covered in concrete if it is cheap enough its a good idea , i personally don,t like aluminum but it is cheaper and will work ok , if you do just use nolox on the connections and don't knic the conducter when striping the wire good luck jim

[Edited on 8-4-2006 by jimgrms]
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 05:11 PM

Hi guys, ......time to chime in. I am 50, and have been in and around the electricial trade for.....all my life. Father, uncle, and cousin, all electricians.
First, many good answers. Bruce R Leach started off right. Good job Bruce. Do you have a 100amp service? 200amp service? 400amp service? This depends on the size of your house, and the load requirements. DID YOU ALREADY BUY A MAIN METER? The "meter main" is where these wires (420 feet) will terminate. The meter main will be marked 100amp, 200amp, and so on.
The electricial supply house , or even Home Depot, can tell you which size wire is required for a 100amp, 200amp,and so on.
Next, it becomes a math equation. The voltage drop equation is in the code book. When you find out your meter main size, post it here, I will get off the couch, get the code book out, and do the math. (For a bottle of Pacifico, ballena (frio)).
Next, look at the suggestions from the other Nomads, regarding protection of this long run of wire (420 feet)(Mucho bucks). Will it possibly be damaged: What about a trencher? If you use a trencher, make it deep. YOU MUST HAVE A AT LEAST TWO PULL BOXES IN BETWEEN. (As per Larry K. -he called them a plastic hand hole).
Me personally, I would use conduit, oversized, and pulling soap. Use a 3/8 rope to pull the wire in the conduit, a ton of soap, before, to swap the conduit, then a ton of soap while pulling the wire in. Soap will prevent nicks, and abuse. I may have forgot a thing or two, but let me know.
My fees are $90.00 an hour, two hour minimun. Is the check in the mail? Cannot help you with the plumbing....wait...crap runs downhill, Whatever I forgot, please forgive, Ron
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 05:58 PM

I haven't set services for 30 years, but 420' + risers and common sense, SAY 500'. OLD rule, increase wire 1 size per 100'. Think 200 amp service = #4 100'. Will #2 copper make the grade? I question #0 can do it. I would not even consider aluminum at 500'. IMHO it was invented for cheapo contractors, in the same realm as particle board.
If I were you I would put 5 Benjamin's in my pocket and go have a sit down with local electric power jefe(?) and move that transformer.
Disclaimer: I have little to nada electrical experience that I do remember.
:lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 08:12 PM

i dont know about other places but im loreto i could only get 60 amp service to a meter i was told if i need more get 2 services??

jerry and judi

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.