Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FLIES
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 06:40 PM
FLIES

We had a nice rain now we have flies, it seems we always get a fly hatch after a rain. Do other people have this problem, usually Mosquito's are a problem after a rain, no problems so far.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 06:58 PM

Last time it rained here I got crabs.:lol:
Shimmer
Junior Nomad

Mood: In the Question

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 07:22 PM

The flys are horendous here in Todos Santos this year... I was just about to write and ask if anyone has any solutions, we are ready to try anything... I have taken my screens down it seems I simply trap more in the house with them up.... in the evenings I put them back up so the lights dont bring in mosquitoes. anyone with a Baja remedy... to trap 'em ...aside from drinking more tequilla .

Steve
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 07:47 PM

Ask at some of the stores for SNIP it comes in a package put a little in water in an old pan or dish, leave it where you want them dead, a real fly killer.

[Edited on 8-6-2006 by comitan]

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Cardon
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 07:57 PM

Here is one of my favorite Baja pics taken about 25 or 30 years ago.

My Baja photos are now on my site
For more Baja Photos go to
this website
http://baja.smugmug.com/
http://craigpearson.com/
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 09:29 PM

Use them to make "raisin" bread with......:O
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 10:24 AM
So Far So Good

Here in Percebu, we have been lucky so far this season with flies. Although they're starting to show up, it hasn't been bad at all. I remember years previous sitting here in mid-July through August absolutely covered with so many flies you couldn't keep them off your body. Right now, we've got some of those tiny, quick "bastards" that you can never swat.

My most enduring memory of flies in Baja was going into a Carneceria in El Rosario many years back (70s) and seeing all of the meat in the non-refrigerated glass case COVERED in flies. Relating that story once to a very old friend whose mother was Mexican, he said "that's why they keep their knives really sharp. So they can slice away the layer of flies".

BTW, We didn't buy any meat that day.

[Edited on 8-6-2006 by MrBillM]
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 10:54 AM

We are experiencing a haching of those quick little bastards too! Man, it takes about three swings of the swatter to nail each one. Thank heavens no mosquitos have arrived out here on the east cape road. I've been sleeping up on the roof without need of screend cover. Got cool enough late last night for a blankie. Love that!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 01:20 PM

Some highly toxic but effective stuff is called Golden Malrin. It is availble at feed stores and some pet stores. Put some of the blue crystals on a piece of rotten fruit and stick it someplace in the open-away from pets and kids. It kills everything - but is for flies. It is for horse stalls and barns and it works on anything that flies.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
We had a nice rain now we have flies, it seems we always get a fly hatch after a rain. Do other people have this problem, usually Mosquito's are a problem after a rain, no problems so far.

Asolutely comitan- One day for flies, 2 days after rain the moths arrive from somewhere just like clockwork. Luckily outside of town at Pta Peque?a, mosquitos are rarely a problem but those dang biting flies can be a pain in the butt.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 01:55 PM

Flies! Had a blow fly lay a run of eggs up my leg one time, my leg was dirty. Have been well acquanted with lot's of flies. Got any of those red eyed ones down ya'lls way?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 04:09 PM
Pests and Pestilence

One thing we've noticed this year besides flies is a huge number of Ticks. For the first time in 10 years or more, we have been battling with Ticks on our dogs. When we went North, we took them home, bathed them and bought tick/flea collars. The problem disappeared. We came back to Percebu and actually found Ticks all over the rugs and bedding. Worse than I've ever seen. Very strange.

I woke up the other morning with four bite marks within a 3" circle on my shoulder. No other place. No idea what did the biting.

[Edited on 8-7-2006 by MrBillM]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 04:22 PM

Strange things happening - this summer - since about the 1st of july - no moths and no flys at my place. Last few days a few really tiny flies but that's it. I see a couple moths on the screen once in a while but NOTHING like we have had in previous years.
?????
:?::?:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 05:53 PM

All the flys, regular, horse & tiny; moths, mosquitos, bees & wasps ALL came to La Paz for vacation evidently!!! Thank GAWD the ticks decided to head north. Haven't seen a tick for at least 2 years. Everything that hatches or sprouts comes out here after a rain...the weed seed & bug egg syndrome....not to mention the frogs that end up in the pool all of a sudden!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 07:12 PM

Legs
Be thankful for the frogs. They mean your environment is safe.;)

OH if you use the snip, people put it on stale bread and it winds up looking like Cardon's sandwich. BUT more raisens.

[Edited on 8-7-2006 by bajajudy]

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 07:17 PM

On another note, fly swatting I had a retired fireman that considered himself an expert on swatting flies tell me always wait for them to move before you swat they can't get away as fast when they are moving. Your kill ratio will go up. It seems to work.

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 07:26 PM

As for the mosquitos, get a bottle of whiskey and a bucket of sand. Pour the whiskey on your skin then sprinkle the sand over the whiskey. The mosquitos will land, get drunk and start throwing rocks at each other.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
RonnieRockCod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 07:39 PM

The Fly, the National Insect of Mexico. Do not swat them as they come back as two. RRC.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 09:33 AM

What about hanging plastic bags full of water around...have seen that before, whats it all about??
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 12:52 PM

Tomas, I was told that it difuses light in such a way that it confuses them and they cant fly correctly, I dont know but everywhere I have seen them hanging there are usually fewer flys.............good luck.........
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.