BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tipping at PEMEX
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 04:00 PM
Tipping at PEMEX

How much do people tip (or not tip) the guy who pumps the gas at PEMEX? What about the kid who "washes" your windshield?

I realize that they are probably ripping me off on the quantity pumped, but it's not the fault of the guy who pumps it. I do make certain they turn the dial back and they don't short change me (both have happed to me).

Thanks

[Edited on 8-7-2006 by oxxo]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 04:02 PM

3-5 pesos for washing the windows - 0 for pumping gas.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 04:05 PM

We always tip. 2 pesos for pumping, 5 for pump and windows. BUT we go to the same guy almost everytime, Pedro. He has become one of our new friends.

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 04:31 PM

I usually give the windows 2 to 3 peso's and the guy pumping 0 to 5 depending on who it is.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 05:26 PM

1-2 usd
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 05:46 PM
10 pesos

for front, another 10 for back windshield. always same person (frequently female) who pumps washes at the stations where we usually go.

lili
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
BUT we go to the same guy almost everytime, Pedro.

Bajajudy, I think you said that you generally use the PEMEX on the north side of the carretera at about KM 25. Is that correct?

All the feedback on this subject is very helpful. So I suppose the kid at the grocery store that bags and carries to the car should also get at least 3 to 5 pesos.

[Edited on 8-8-2006 by oxxo]
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 06:28 PM
Frank

You are beginning to understand Baja!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 06:37 PM

depends on what's floating around in my pockets...usually 5-10 pesos to pump the gas. If the guy starts washing my windows without asking, his tip goes down drastically.

Zac

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 06:37 PM

1-2 usd
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 06:57 PM
when ?

was the last time you tipped at a us gas station? a $2 tip is a tip only a gringo could think of. how much do you think a farm worker is getting paid for the hard labor they do? i feel the price of gas includes delivery as far as i am concerned. a 5 peso tip for window service is plenty. how much do you think locals tip? do you think by virture of being gringo you need to tip on a different schedule?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 07:03 PM

5 pesos for window washing.... $1 US for pumping gas. :P

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacificobob
how much do you think locals tip? do you think by virture of being gringo you need to tip on a different schedule?

Never thought about it and nope, just do it to help somebody out.

They don't pump gas at most US stations the last time I looked, outside of NJ that is...
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 07:47 PM

You have the right attitude, JZ.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 08:52 PM

10 pesos each.

I have not pumped my own diesel in Baja in 5 or 6 years.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 08:54 PM

Usually 10 peso for all windows and nothing for gas The guy who usually pumps my gas did get a bottle of vino blanca jusy because.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacificobob
was the last time you tipped at a us gas station? a $2 tip is a tip only a gringo could think of. how much do you think a farm worker is getting paid for the hard labor they do? i feel the price of gas includes delivery as far as i am concerned. a 5 peso tip for window service is plenty. how much do you think locals tip? do you think by virture of being gringo you need to tip on a different schedule?

When in doubt I tip.....If a $2 tip is a gringo thing then, get me a hat, Im a Gringo! If I met a farm worker and he provided me with a service and I was happy, then I'd tip him.

When my cruiser skipper and deckhand work there butts off for us, I tip graciously, no matter whats in the fish hold. So to answer your final question, yes I do tip on a different schedule, because I'm a American. I also know what its like to be stiffed and what it does to customer service.

Tipping also makes me feel good. Im on vacation, because I made enough money to GO on vacation, its already factored into the cost.
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

cool.gif posted on 8-8-2006 at 07:34 AM

Zero tip to the guys who's getting paid by Pemex anyway. If ya do that you might as well stop and tip the guys working on the roads or the person who's at the cash register in the grocery store ferchristsakes. Now the window washer, as far as I know, works only for tips so they get 5 pesos.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-8-2006 at 08:18 AM
Tipping in the U.S. ?

I never tip at a U.S. Gas Station because I pump my own gas, but back in the days when I was still filling my propane tanks at the Chevron station, I always tipped the kid that filled the tanks and let him (her) know that I appreciated the service. The same story whenever I had my car worked on.

I've said before that I probably tip more than normal in Baja, but what to me is an insignificant amount, is appreciated (usually) by the clerk or worker in Baja. Earlier in the week, I had eight 3-gallon water jugs filled. 40 pesos + 20 pesos to the old man who unloaded/loaded the truck and 10 pesos to the kid that filled them.

I usually get my gas at the "Glorietta" self-service Pemex in San Felipe so no tip there, except for the window washers. I usually give them $1-2 U.S.

Others we tip are the clerks in the mercados and, of course, the waiters in the restaurants, usually around $10 for dinner, $5 for breakfast.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2006 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I used the full service side at a station in the states. If you're one of those people who use that service, you're paying extra for it right at the pump, so there's no real basis for a comparison.

The guy who pumps my gas usually does the windows as well, and I tip generously, around 10% (my windows get real dirty, y'know). The old guy or little kid who bags my groceries at the market gets a buck or two depending on how big the bill is (retail clerks in the U.S. are members of one of the most powerful unions in the country, with the ability to collectively bargain substantial wage increases and benefits, but I'm guessing that the 9 year old bagging groceries at Gigante isn't in the same situation). I tip waiters and bartenders the same as in the U.S., around 15% (more for great service, less for bad).

I made my living waiting tables for awhile, and I got a paycheck as well, but it didn't amount to much. People who provide these sorts of services depend on tip income, whether it's in addition to base pay or not. Means a lot to them and it's not that much skin off of my teeth.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.