Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 03:47 PM

I wonder how the HERBST truck is for towing?....:o
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 05:09 PM

yeah!! Herbst has it dicked!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 05:35 PM

Still love the old sub.

[Edited on 8-11-2006 by Axel]
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 09:39 PM
An Oldie...1989 Ford Bronco...

...has made many 'successful' trips to Baja's interior, and back. However, last week, just after 200,000 'clicks' on the odometer, the old 'gal' had a coronary infraction, or some such malady! It was like 'she' was just hanging on till the 200K milestone was reached...:(

Ordered up an 'High Durability' long-block (5.0 liter, 302) from an outfit in Texas to transplant into the Bronco. Why so much of an 'investment' in such an old rig, one might ask...well, kind of attached to the old gal - plus I've just about overhauled everything else to date; face lift/body mods; hip transplants/new differentials & axles; foot surgery/mag wheels & BFG's; new wardrobe/upholstery updates; boob job/bumper guard; hair transplant/roof rack; and much more, but you get the idea!

Got to add a nice TJ paint job on a trip south some day soon to make her really shine.

Alas, we'll probably now have great outback machine, but we've been looking at some new wheels while the old gal is in the shop - a say in a whisper. Taking a real close look at the Xterra 'Off Road' machine. It's got lots of good features, much more power than before (265 HP), locking rear Diff, and other goodies. A good off-road report by an actual buyer that took his new Xterra into Death Valley can be seen at:

http://members.ispwest.com/oldtrailmaster/xterra.htm

His only Mods, were a set of BFG AT's replacing the STD BFG Rugged Trails that came with the new vehicle.

Does any other Nomad have 2nd generation experience with an Xterra? The new 2007's starting rolling out in mid-Sept, so we're waiting to take a gander at what's going to be offered - can't find the options we want with the existing 06's around Northern Calif, this late in the year.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
ItsBetterInBaja

Mood: Dreaming of Baja

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 11:27 PM
50 yr old military springs

For a real adventure, I prefer Olive Oil. My 1953 M38A1 military Jeep (Willys).
And what better way to test out those 50 yr old military springs than the infamous road from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay. I lost a couple fillings and bruised a kidney (just kidding). The ride home from LA Bay from fun too. Olive only has a bikini top and it started raining gatos y perros somewhere before Catavina. It rained hard all the way to San Diego. When we stopped at Mama Espinoza's they said it hadn't rained like that in 10 years. Lucky me huh?
Well here are some pics of my favorite baja vehicle. Someday I will grow up....but why?

[Edited on 8-19-2006 by ItsBetterInBaja]

Baja
Always an Adventure
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 09:05 AM
Mexray-----

Great article on the Nissan X-terra------------thank you.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 01:03 PM

One thing to remember about a long travel suspension is Maintnence. The more movement the more wear on parts. buggies with long travel have CV joints, CV boots that love to get torn, heim joints and uniballs that all wear faster than a ball joint or rubber joint front end. Bolts that are used as suspencion pivots have to be replased every so oftern. I do prep work on a friends class one car and am horrified by the amount of money that he puts into prep. CV maintainence, wheel bearings, shocks, all things that any long travel prerun or play car has.

I use huge uniballs and heims in my long arm set up on the XJ. I blew it apart after about 2500 miles for a rebild and was suprised at how well the joints held up(teflon impregnated at about $200 per arm x 4), but I put a wrench to them after 200 or so miles off road. I can always give them a quarter turn or so even with clench nuts and red locktite. Long travel is the only way to go, but is more work and more money in worn parts. Just another consideration.

My plan with the Jeep (curently in a million peices spred between Salome Az and San Felipe) is to over build and not beat on it very often. Prerunning will be slow, save the beat down for racing with idiots at the Pete's camp Poker run!

If you dont like tools, arent willing to check things out while every one else is drinking a cold one, stay with a good bolt on kit, they have come along way lately.

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.