BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Puerto San Isidro area ( Erendira)
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2006 at 10:07 AM
Puerto San Isidro area ( Erendira)

Ok, its been way too long since we've been to Baja and for obvious reasons, we are electing for a Pacific side trip for Labor Day weekend. We are thinking about going to the Puerto San Isidro area, but have never been there and were wondering if anyone can give us any information. I am looking in my "The Magnificent Peninsula" book to get some info, but thought maybe some of you nomads may frequent the area more often, it talks about Malibu Beach Sur campgrounds, anyone been there? or can we camp right at E.J Erendira? is there anything there? Are these areas usually really crowded on Labor Day weekend? What about the area by Castros?Sounds like there are some nice camping areas further north from there, anyone know about them? I know its a lot of questions, but basically I just wanted to get anyones opinion of a nice place to camp ( tents) and we will be driving four wheel drive, and we love to surf fish! Thanks in advance!
bajagato and bajaddict

[Edited on 8-14-2006 by Bajagato]
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-14-2006 at 12:54 PM

Hello Bajagato,

I was just down there about a month ago. There is good camping about 15 minutes north of Erendira at Punta Cabra, and you can either stay on the south side of the point and camp at the cove, or take your four-wheel drive into the dunes and camp on the north side of the point at Long Beach. I am not sure about crowds on Labor Day, but Long Beach is pretty huge, so you could probably find your own secluded spot to pitch a tent if you want to. When we were there, most of the people were at the cove because it is easier to access.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 05:21 PM

There are many great camping spots both north and south of town...maybe within 10 or so miles....easy roads to drive....I would expect crowds for the holiday weekend all along this area....I'm sure it would be a good weekend no matter what.....
jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 08:10 AM

This is a warning about camping alone on the shore to the north.I was involved with a bandit who wanted all my money,I grabbed the barrel of his rifle and he shot me in the chest.Luckie for me it was a .22 with rabbit shot.The red cross gave me and my wife a quick ride to Ensenada where I was kept overnight. Beware

:mad::mad::mad:
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 08:18 AM
what an ordeal!

When did this happen? How far north of Erendira were you camping? That sounds terrible, I am glad you are ok! I think there will be lots of folks down that way, but that sure sounds scary!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 08:35 AM

See some photos taken at Punta Cabras, which is north of Erendira (at the 'long beach' just north of the actual Punta Cabras) are at http://vivabaja.com/cabras (8-2001)

A photo of the beach at Baja Malibu Sur RV Park, south of Erendira, is at the end of http://vivabaja.com/david_lorenzo (7-2000)

The Punta Cabras area is your best bet for a Pacific sandy beach/dune camp I would think. Castro's Camp is a motel and fishing by panga operation... great bottom fishing! Just north of Castro's along the road to Cabras is Coyote Cals Hostel see http://www.coyotecals.com

The next option for beach camping might be near San Antonio del Mar, west of Colonet... big beach and big dunes... You find some neat stuff on the beach near Cabo Colonet as it catches some of the Pacific current like Malarrimo.

Have fun... hope the Tacoma is still going strong for you!

Looking south to Punta Cabras

[Edited on 8-16-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 05:11 PM

This happened Jan 12 2006,there is a rural Dr. there who was great and pached me up for the hospital, also the red cross from Santo Thomas, beware bonfire wood sellers
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jim janet
This happened Jan 12 2006,there is a rural Dr. there who was great and pached me up for the hospital, also the red cross from Santo Thomas, beware bonfire wood sellers

Are you saying that the attempted robbery was conducted by a guy selling firewood on the beach?
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 12:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Jim. I have had clothes and food stolen from camp but never experienced something aggressive like this. Was there ever any attempt to report it to the local authorities? As scarcely populated as that area is it seems like it would be fairly easy to track down the suspect. I would also imagine this is not the first time they have done this sort of thing to people camping in that area of the beach.

jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 01:42 PM

The local police and later the federal were involved Lots of paper and reports but who knowes how the Mexican system works?
I think we were checked out by a fire wood seller arouns 330 that afternoon but it was dark when this happened and the bandit had amask over his face and apoached us as we sat around the fire enjoying our first night in Baja.The wood seller told us not to woory as trere were no bandits in the area,Really safe he said.
This was the 4th year we camped in the area and will probally be our last.

PS the hospital in Ensenada was great

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.