Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: first timer question
whiteelephant

Mood: getting excited

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 10:26 AM
first timer question

my companion and I (seniors) are tenting our way down probably as far as Mulege. Main interests seeing whales, snorkeling, meeting caring people, enjoying the quiet beauty of nature. We are truly tenting - no sleep-in rig. Any suggestions about anything will be appreciated. Camping, cooking, socializing, what not to forget to bring, etc. Paz:D
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 02:29 PM

Everything depends on what you are driving. So ?????

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 04:31 PM
My top three "must haves" would be:

2 self inflating mattresses
shelf stable milk (available at any Mexican supermarket)
and, a can of mace (just in case).

Make sure that anything worth anything stays locked up in your car. - Stephanie

Oops, one more thing. If you're going in the winter or early spring, I would also take a couple of "shorty" thermal diving suits. They'll keep you a lot more comfortable in the water this time of the year.

[Edited on 12-4-2003 by Stephanie Jackter]

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
BeBop

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 07:25 PM

Mace! Are you allowed to carry mace over the border?:O
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 10:10 PM
No,, best make it pepper spray

They have looked at mine at the check points and are fine with it
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 11:06 PM
Oops. Anything that sprays off a keychain, I call mace.

I'm sure what I use is pepper spray as well. - Stephanie

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:30 AM

There's a new mace-like spray on the market now called "Cobra Spit". Said to be ten times more powerful than any other brand. Seems that it debilitates an aggressor by affecting the nervous system. The spray is directed toward the eyes, and travels to the brain via the eyes and paralyzes the attacker within five seconds. The only drawback with the product is the difficulty in aiming while the cobra is wriggling in your hand. Please do be careful and have a grand time in Baja!....."El Mochilero"
whiteelephant

smile.gif posted on 12-5-2003 at 10:03 AM

Mace? for whom? and that aside, is it too cold to go in the water with just a swim suit? we driving small 4wd. have inflatable mattress (thank the goddess). Is there a bit more information to share about the up side? Gracias. I couldn't find "el mochilero" in my dictionary. Perhaps it means "backpacker"? Oh yes, that is another interest - speaking Spanish with patient people, lol.
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 10:28 AM
what to bring

Hi, If you bring a couple of good smiles and plenty of good manners your trip will be greatly enriched. The Mexican people are friendly, patient, helpful and just plain wonderful in my estimation. As far as camping goes: don't camp alone near the road(that is just too tempting a scenario for some), carry some water and gas, spare parts for your vehicle (belts, tires, etc.). There are lots of places to camp; near San Quintin, Catavina,San Ignacio, and Mulege on Highway 1 and many more places if you take secondary roads. We've never carried spray-cobra or other- but, it can't hurt to be prepared. Also, get a AAA map and then read some of the previous posts here and on Fred's board about places to go. Do stop at local roadside restaurants, you can get some good food that way. Throw your schedule out the window and have a really good time. Annie T.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 11:12 AM

If you have the room, I prefer a cot and foam pad for the tent. It won't lose air after you drag that cactus spine in on the sole of your shoe...

[Edited on 12-5-2003 by bkbend]
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 11:36 AM

"Wide Elephant", If you happen to be near Catavina when you decided to camp for the night, then I suggest that you camp at the Santa Inez/ Ines ranch. It is about a haf mile south of the La Pinta motel at Catavina. The turn-off for the ranch will be on the left side of the highway. You can either set up your tent for five bucks or rent a no frills room for about twelve bucks. They serve meals at the ranch also. If you want to practice your spanish, the owners are very nice and will do their best to converse with you. I never miss a chance to camp there if the timing is right. ..."El Mochilero" (The Backpacker)
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 11:55 AM
I agree wholeheartedly, bkbend.

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend
If you have the room, I prefer a cot and foam pad for the tent. It won't lose air after you drag that cactus spine in on the sole of your shoe...
Quote:

The blow up bed idea can easily wind up being a "bust". It would be good to go to a camp store and look at some of the other options. I really like the self inflatable camp pads. They're a little more resilient than plastic blow up beds and way more portable. With a dense pad underneath, they can be quite comfortable. But your cot idea (kept covered during the day with a plastic tarp), would probably be even better.- Stephanie

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:27 PM

Since you are driving a "small 4wd" You should have The Baja Adventure Book by Peterson and the Baja Almanac (maps showing most of the dirt roads).

Peterson's book covers many interests and places - the best of the guide books for anyone driving a 4wd.

Take spare fan belts, tire patch kit, water, and general tools (if you don't know how to use them, someone will).

Watch out for Baja Fever - it pulls you back there over and over. :lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
whiteelephant

thumbup.gif posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:28 PM

gracias a todo. Our tent is teeny weeny so we will be doing the airmatress and make sure we have patch kits. We are certainly coming with big smiles and big respect. Thank you backpacker for information on Catavina Santa Inez ranch. Any good suggestions for a nice spot between border and Catavina? Wish list includes: seeing whales, snorkeling, experiencing local culture, spending time with caring people, (an occasional bridge game would be a plus for one of us), basking, eating fruit. Is this a fantasy?
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:40 PM
Heres a few ideas....

Camp Spots
Lajolla Campground on the beach just south of ensenada near La Bufadora.Check out the blow hole, $1.50 breakfasts at the El Dorado and rattle snake tequilla at Gordos.

Old Mill Campground in San Quintin or camp at the dunes on the beach just south of SQ

Gonzaga Bay. Stop in at Alfonsinas for a great shrimp dinner. Stay at the hotel or camp on the beach under the palapas.good snorkeling out in front of alfonsinas along the rocks.

La Gringa,Daggets,or camp gecko in La Bay. Great snorkeling at La Gringa. Check out the Museum in town and try a sea food combo and a grande margarita at Las Hamacas.If the whale sharks are still around hire a panga and snorkel with them.

San Lucas Cove just south of santa rosalia. Palapas and bathhouse/toilets. good snorkeling just inside the mouth of the cove,old shipwreck there with a very friendly eel!

Punta Chivato. good snorkeling and shelling.

Conception Bay. find playa coyote just south of santispac,its a nice white sand private beach with a few palapas very quiet/peacefull place to camp.

While in Mulege drive out to the point and eat at La Almeja at the end of the road on the left. Take a guided day trip to the cave paintings its an awesome adventure.Get fresh tortillas at the tortilla factory and check out the taco shop on the right side as you enter Mulege(cant remember the name but their the best)

Aside from your normal arsenal of camping gear make sure you bring a pot for cooking clams and oil/flour/spices for frying fish. I bring canned meat for sandwhiches and canned veggies but buy everything else at the local mercados. Fresh quality meat is pretty scarce down there.

Many of the places I mentioned you may not even need a tent. I have always just plopped a sleeping bag down on an air matress just above the high tide line and enjoyed all the stars.

Fuel up before San Quintin around Camalu, avoid the gas stations in SQ. Top off at El Rosario, the La Pinta in Catavina, Jesus De Maria, Vizciano,santa rosalia, and Mulege. these gas stations are about 3/4 of a tank apart.

Have a great trip. I just visted all these places (in my mind) while typing this...its just not the same as really being there!

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:55 PM
Almost forgot....

Go to the Serinidad Hotel in Mulege and see if they are having the pig roast fiesta. Its a must if they are having it and your schedule permits!
whiteelephant

thumbup.gif posted on 12-5-2003 at 01:04 PM

we will check out the hotel but not meat eaters. Fish though sounds wonderful. (sent you a u2u)

after the chess game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 02:21 PM
One draw-back on Santa Inez

Don't know what happened, but, the food prices have gone sky-high! It has always been a 'must do' stop for lunch, the family is very friendly and it's a great rest stop on a hot day traveling from San Quinten to Bola for a cold cervesa....

For GREAT food......try the 'truck-stop' at the juntion of Mex 1 and the road to Gonzaga.....the Machaca is fantastic!

PS: No it won't be too cold to swim, I've swam in the Sea of Cortez in Dec. in the middle of the night and it was great! Have fun!

[Edited on 12-5-2003 by Debra]
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 06:41 PM

Several years ago there was a restaurant in Catavina on the opposite side of the highway from the Las Pintas motel. I had checked the meal prices at the motel's restaurant and they were too expensive for this old boy, so I asked a local if there was another place to eat close by. He pointed to a dilapadated wooden shack just across the highway. I took his word for it and zipped over to the shack. I entered the door which was at the backside of the place and it was exactly what I was looking for. A little funky, down-to-earth, no doubt about it , seedy looking hovel, full of local clientele. Nothing but spanish and hand gestures for communication. The food was so good, and the price so resonable, that I ate both lunch and supper there during my wait for the Santa Rosalia bus. The Juevos Ranchero were mouth watering delicious! I wonder if it is still open for business? If it is, check it out "White Elephant". Could be your kinda place!..."El Mocilero"
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 11:33 PM
Catavina

That sounds like the little place in Catavina where we ate just a year ago. The food was delicious and the price was perfect. Annie T.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.