BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good notary in Ensenada area?
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 05:53 AM
Good notary in Ensenada area?

Hi all,

My wife and iare in the process of purchasing a ranch in the San Pedro Martir area from a private individual. It is currently in the process of being severed from a much bigger ranch, it falls just within the restricted zone for ownership. Question is soon we may need to find a reputable lawyer perhaps in nearby Ensenada for the next step in the process, does ne1 have a name for a good contact?
Also anyone gone through this process before? How long does it normally take (I know all bets are off when it comes to gov't in Mexico but...) I know at some point we will need to go to the Mexican consulate here in Canada to apply for a permit to own property as a foreigner.

thanks

Astrobaja
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 06:34 AM

what is the permit to own property as a foreigner?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 09:54 AM

Ditto Bruce's question, and are you looking for a notary or a lawyer? They are not the same thing.

BTW, is this the same property that was advertised on the net and discussed on this board awhile back?

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 10:34 AM

You say it falls within the restricted zone, then you will need a Notario & Abogado, and bank for the Fidocomiso.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
My wife and iare in the process of purchasing a ranch in the San Pedro Martir area from a private individual. It is currently in the process of being severed from a much bigger ranch

Obviously, this needs to be done first. Make sure you will have crystal clear title. No liens, public/private against the original owner and heirs of the original property owner signing off.

Done right, subdivision can be both a time consuming and expensive process. Is the seller assuming the costs? Needless to say, your attorney will need to double check.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 02:56 PM

I am also looking for a Good notary in Ensenada area. we have interviewed 2 already and will be checking a few more. I would appreciate and guidance any of you Nomads can give me. I will give a report as soon as I decide.

this is not the person to just pick out of the phone book. I plan on at least 4 more weeks of work before I make my choice. these notary's can make or brake any deal you can put together.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I am also looking for a Good notary in Ensenada area. we have interviewed 2 already and will be checking a few more. I would appreciate and guidance any of you Nomads can give me. I will give a report as soon as I decide.

this is not the person to just pick out of the phone book. I plan on at least 4 more weeks of work before I make my choice. these notary's can make or brake any deal you can put together.

For me, far more important is a premiere attorney that can be trusted implicitly. Once found, they will make sure the notario's job is done properly.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 04:25 PM

I have found that once you have a good Notario that many times on land closings I don't need a lawyer at all. how ever I don't recommend this to people that don't have a lot of closings under there belt.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 05:49 PM
Penny-wise, pound-foolish

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I have found that once you have a good Notario that many times on land closings I don't need a lawyer at all. how ever I don't recommend this to people that don't have a lot of closings under there belt.

I don't recommend this to anyone except a National who fully understands the risks involved.

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 05:55 PM

if anyone finds one in Ensenada (abogado or notario!) please post!
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 06:23 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the input thus far! Just to clarify a couple points

1) this property is just outside of the restricted zone (more than 60km)

2) on its not that land talked about in another thread its a private sale near Meling ranch.

3) its waiting to have a new survey completed this fall by the officials. Then we will apply for a new title...

I dunno about the permit to purchase as a foreigner, my Wife read about it somewhere in a book about Mexico and living there.

Most who own land in Baja do it through a bank trust since most land lies inside the restricted zone, this does not apply here.
Perhaps a lawyer would be the better way to go, I don't care either way and if it saves headache then I'm for it!!

--Astrobaja
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja

I dunno about the permit to purchase as a foreigner, my Wife read about it somewhere in a book about Mexico and living there.
--Astrobaja

I think it might be the FM3??? You can't sign a contract legally without one...well, you can but you won't have any rights if things go awry.
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 10:51 AM
notarias

to the best of my understanding, there are 5 notar?as (ie the offices of the notarios) in ensenada. and they are known by number, i.e. notar?a p?blica #1, notar?a p?blica #2...etc. actually, one of them died recently and i don't think he's been replaced yet. the one who's handled a couple of our issues is licenciado angel saad said, notar?a p?blica #4. i had heard really good things about him, but in a recent transaction one of his employees provided inaccurate information about the cost and that has resulted in some problems. fortunately, the attorney involved is "handling it." but it's in progress, so don't know how things will work out.

i agree with dave that you ought to have your own attorney in ANY real estate transaction to ensure your rights are protected. do not rely solely on the notar?a.

lili
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 03:34 PM

It seems at least some of them charge quite a bit more than they do down here in Mulege. dose any one have a figure on this. one told me 2% of the transaction. Here it is about 1/2 %.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.