BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fly Rigging?
BeBop

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 01:14 PM
Fly Rigging?

Living in British Columbia and being primarily a steelhead fisherman I have never used a wire trace on my fly leader. What is the best wire to use to make these? I'm heading to the Baja for three months on Jan 2nd (I can't sleep at night thinking about it) and I intend to do a lot of kayak fishing.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 06:33 PM

Tie a small black swivel to the end of your class tippet and use a haywire twist to attached the wire to the swivel and fly.Use a short piece of wire,5 inches max or the fly won't turn over.Use single strand wire,probably nothing heavier than 32 lb.Go as light as you can go.You might get a lot of refusals from leader shy fish.Most baja fish,use straight mono for your leader and maybe a short mono bite tippet.
BeBop

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 07:22 PM

Thanks anon.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-6-2003 at 05:09 PM

Hi bebop,
we plan on crossing into baja right about the same time as you (depends on the new years in vegas).
anyhow, I too plan on trying my hand at fishing down there as well, should be quite different than Ab, and B.C.
what are you driving,or pulling? we'll keep an eye out for you, maybe we can fish a time or two together. departure time is getting close and I still haven't tied up any glousers!!

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 12-9-2003 at 08:20 AM

Bebop, "Sevenstrand" is a good brand of wire. Anon is right on when suggesting light wire. In my experience if the sierra are really snappin' heavier wire can be ok but for the most part heavy wire has equaled less bites for me. In addition to the swivel rig mentioned, you could use crimps to form loops in the wire and go loop to loop. Seems like if I use a swivel the damn sierras attack it and fray the leader. Have fun down there...maybe I'll see you on the beach!
BeBop

[*] posted on 12-9-2003 at 02:53 PM

Once again, thanks guys. I'll be driving my blue 83 Ford Pickup and pulling a Wilderness 18' fifth wheel. I'm a big guy with an Irish accent and I don't think there are too many of us travelling down there, so stop and say hello.
bajafly
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 04:38 PM
Wire

There is a new product called Tyger wire that is knotable and can be purchased in a variety of line strengths. Try two handed retrieve for better results.

Gary

http://www.tygerleader.com/
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-20-2003 at 07:28 PM

when using a two handed retrieve does one haul in rapidly or is this just for control. If speed was guages as slow, medium , or fast what do you recomment?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-20-2003 at 07:31 PM

oooooooooops sorry for the mis spelling
i mean gauged and recommend. I'm not illiterate just sometimes my fingers are two fast.:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.