Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: My Baja Expedition Vehicle
G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 09:39 PM
My Baja Expedition Vehicle

My first post . . .

Here's my Baja-mobile with 14-ply tires. Problem is it doens't have any spare wheel/tires other than the 5th and 6th wheel wheel/tires. It's equipped with ARB switchable differential locker. Will it survive the washboards/sand dunes?

[Edited on 8-20-2006 by G35Vortec454]
G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 09:46 PM
Another pic

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 09:55 PM

Nice setup. Looks like all you need to have a lot of fun in Baja. Lots of ground clearance and the duelies should float on the sand. Is it 4wd?
G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 09:59 PM
Is it 4wd?

4wd, only because it has 4 wheels in the rear :lol:, and it has rear lockers :D and it even has a transfer case for underdriving/crawling.

What it doesn't have (yet) is a front drive axle (it still has the orig IFS in front)
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 10:01 PM

Welcome.
Did you make it or buy it amd what's inside ?
You still need a spare and 4wd if you want to go solo offroad.
Washboards should be no problem but you will rock and rattle with those 14 ply tires.
Looks like you will need a super-vent and have the power to run it.
Hope it has a VERY large gas tank ! :lol:
G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 10:11 PM

Diver, it was a restoration/customization project (79 van with 98 powertrain). Inside is a bed, kitchen /microwave /propane stove, restroom, capt chairs and table, water heater - all powered by a 5KW inverter / bank of 4 house-batteries / dual alternators, and of course, DTS/Dolby-digital theatre/music system.

At 8 to 9 MPG, the gas tank leaves much to be desired - I tote a 14-gallon fuel caddy in the trailer-hitch carriage.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 10:23 PM
It "looks" great, and probably really is-----

my guess is that it will survive the Baja roads just fine, if you take it easy and don't pound it to death.

Before you go to changing the front suspension (i.e. 4 wheel drive) I would take it into the sand and see what it can do-------You might be surprised at how well it does. Also, a 12K winch and a pull-pal might be a lot cheaper, and that will get you out of many a "stuck", especially the winch that goes into a trailer reciever, which can be used both front or rear.

It is truly a beautiful looking vehicle, I think.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 11:20 PM

nice...but i'll bet they send you to secondary....just to look:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 11:53 PM
Secondary?

secondary . . . is that a checkpoint/inspection lingo?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 12:45 AM
G35

Have you taken it out on the dirt at all. I don't know how duallys work in sand with 2X4. Anyone??

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 06:02 AM

My experience is that duallies don't work well in sand. That's one of the reasons I converted my F350 to SRW.
G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 06:07 AM
sharks,

Yes, it's been to dirt and sand and rivers (but not mud). I've seen it struggle (even with the locker on) moving forward through deep soft DRY dirt or sand - that's with full 60psi highway air on the tires. But each time, it had no problem getting out IN REVERSE easy. The problem I see is the front tires gives enough resistance to give even the dually rear a hard time.

This PM, I will try thru deep dirt nearby, with the tires deflated to 25psi.

G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 06:10 AM
Roberto, do you have a rear locker?

Mine does get out of the stuck situation easy in reverse, when the rear locker is on.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by G35Vortec454

Dunlap makes some tires for armored trucks that are bullet proof. they laughed at me when I wanted to buy a spare. they told me that if one ever went flat for any reason they would come and rescue me, even in Baja sur. they are quite pricey but mine are 17 years old and I have never had to add air.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 06:56 AM

our dually doesn't have any problems in the "soft stuff"....

of course it's a dodge:lol:

secondary is at the border on the USA side where they really "check you out"...

everyone gets a chance to "visit" eventually:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 08:05 AM

Looks great.....where do you plan to go with it?
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 08:33 AM

..."of course it is a Dodge"...

GOOD OLE DODGE...

This vechicle demonstrates a striking resemblance to a 1942 1/2 ton WW11 surplus Dodge ambulance that I used in the period 1956 to 1961 to explore the then wilds of Baja from the border to Punta Baja below El Rosario. It was called the Mexican Mercedes because of it's silver paint job

Actually your vechicle probably more closely resembled the 1943 3/4 model Dodge which was owned by my travel companion. Joe Bob McCabe ( yes with that name-he was a Texican) It was called the Red Rocket because of it's red zinc oxide paint job.

Both vechicles had roof racks storage contructed from bed frames, the forerunner of the Yakima racks and Jerry can racks welded to the Front fenders. They had a top speed of 40 MPH and got horrible gas milage but once they were startedwould run on any fuel; gas, white gas, and gas mixed with desiel, which was great for Baja at that time frame.

So, Sir I commend you for a truck well designed and well executed. And most importantly for restoring memories of the good times past. Enjoy Baja as we did over 1/2 century ago when it was a true unexplored unpopulated wilderness visited only by a select few. At that time in history the term "Baja" had not been incorporated into the American advertising lexicon nor had Baja been created as a travel/retirement destination.

So point you truck south, drive off road and explore the still unexplored of Baja-- It is an exciting place with still much to be explored and discovered...

DM
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 08:39 AM

Very nice rig Vortec.

I'm sending you a U2U regarding another forum that you may wish to visit w/regard to your specific question.

G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 08:47 AM
Bob and Susan

Bob and Susan, it's good to know your dually is fine in the sand. Is it 4WD?

Dean/SutferJim and all, thanks for the compliments. I'm planning for a first trip - south to as far as san felipe/puertecitos/calamajue then cross over to the pacific side and back up north to southern ca. still learning how to use this gps stuff, so no specific routes yet.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 08:49 AM
Dean Miller-----

I too went on several expeditions into Baja in a Dodge WWII ambulance that was dark gray in color. This was in the late 50's and early 60's, and we were out of Coronado, CA. and the veh. was owned by a guy named "Chips". The funny thing was that "Chips" did not drive, so he always recruited someone he trusted to drive the ambulance----and that was me. The ambulance was all you say, and I loved that vehicle, tho it was terribly under powered (or under geared). The Mexicanos loved it, tho. Our trips were mostly below San Felipe, and up in the Sierra Juarez.

Good times!!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.