Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Cancelling First Baja Expedition plans
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 10:55 PM

Well, not like the one in my avatar, but one like what I actually drive.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 12:16 AM
V-tec

You should not let yer fears of travel stop you from experiencing the world. If you think Oregon is the place to go....well, it is beautiful, the sky is clean and the tourists are thick on the coast. That is in the summer.:lol:
In the winter ALL the Calif folks retreat;they've never SEEN so much crappy weather. Why the heck do you think it's STILL beautiful aqui?:smug:

My friend.....take a chance. :yes: Just roll up the windows on that thing....you'll be safe!:yes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 02:49 AM
BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by G35Vortec454
With all these reported violence and lawlessness in Baja, who wants to put themselves in a helpless situation? Is the Baja adventure worth it?

I'm seriously thinking of bringing my tourism money up north in the continent. At least in Oregon...

Beware! Beware! Beware! Reports in the last two days from Oregon:

Armed and Dangerous Fugitive On The Loose!

Armed and Dangerous Drug-Growing Operators!

Increase in Dangerous Wildlife!

Felons from Prison On The Loose!

;)
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 06:24 AM

Seems the crime wave has reached all the way down here to Baja Sur. Couple of days ago some criminal drew graffita in the dust on the window of my Izusu Trooper. It said "Lava Me". I don't know what that means. Probably a local gang thing. Maybe they call themselves the Volcanos or something. Probably just marking their turf. I'm gonna report it if they do it again.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 07:21 AM

Do what you must do. But starting Nov 15 thru the 29 I suggest you all stay up north and out of Baja. It will be too dangerous down there. Please spread the word. I don't want to see any of you in trouble or hurt.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 08:47 AM

I am headed down to Ensenada TODAY! I'll give you a first hand report upon my return.
:rolleyes:
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I am headed down to Ensenada TODAY! I'll give you a first hand report upon my return.
Bob H

I am heading to Ensenada today also. Ill see you there.:O

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:
Bob H

I am heading to Ensenada today also. Ill see you there.:O

Bruce, I hope to be having lunch around 1pm at c-ckteleria Mazatlan right across the street from the bus depot on 10th ave.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:40 AM

As Bruce has a 600 mile drive to Ensenada vs. your 90 mile drive, I think maybe you guys won't see each other?:no:

Have fun Bob!!! Post a photo of you eating an Almeja al carbon with your new hat on!;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:48 AM

At least you can cross the boarder without unloading all your water bottles, fingernail clippers, gels, etc. I can't remember seeing a single raghead in Baja. I haven't seen any camels parked along the road. The only car bomb I know of is after having eaten mucho beans with my tacos. On the other hand, I hear Iraq and Iran are lovely vacation spots in the fall. No, I'll still take my chances in Baja Sur---land of peace and quiet---on the Mar de Cortez.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 10:10 AM

tw....sounds like pre-run/ race days to me!!!!......
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 12:19 PM
Relax and enjoy!!!

Hi guys... I think anywhere we travel around the world, if there are humans present, we will always be exposed to those few bad people who are always on the look to take advantage of the good ones... no matter the country.

The best advice is to use your common sense.

You know, it is funny... I have live in Baja for 35 years... and I have never ever been mugged, or assaulted, or anything like that.

Well.. only once... someone broke into my car... they forced the door and went in for the stereo.... and this was in Spring Valley, San Diego, CA.

Enjoy life my friends!!!

BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 8-22-2006 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 03:30 PM

The Ensenada police are looking for a new paddy wagon. Slap a couple of cop lights on that rig and you're there.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 06:35 PM

ssshhh surfer jim don't tell anyone.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 07:09 PM

Vortec,

Don't let these guys get to you. We all have our comfort levels when out of our realm.

While I don't think Baja is as safe as in past years, I also don't think it's any more dangerous than a few other places. I'll refrain from posting specific places either here or there.

There are always a few rules that I try to follow when travelling.

Little or No night driving.
While it might be nice to miss some of the traffic, you dont get to see much of anything and the later you travel the higher the risk of encountering all kinds of less desireable situations. Who wants a flat at 2:00 am? Who wants to encounter a Semi's headlights on that dark and lonelly stretch of highway? Who wants to meet that Steer (up close and personal) that was sleeping on the road? Anything missing in the "Who Wants to" category fill in the blank________

Travel with a Buddy when possible.
Theres nothing better than to park in that perfect camp and share a cold beer with friends. If you do get that %#^* flat tire, help is there. If you battery dies, your buddy will give you a jump. No worries about being out on that road all alone.

Be prepared (for anything) Have a plan.
Take spares, extra fuel, communications. And don't think being prepared is when you didn't forget something. Be prepared to encounter. Good and Bad Encounters. I've had WAYYYY more Good Encounters than Bad ones. I have met more good people South of the border than I can count. Almost 40 years of crossing the border and I have had one bad encounter. Lastly, I will take a life to save my family or myself, No hesitation.

Bedman
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:29 PM

Life is the leading cause of death.

I've been robbed at gunpoint walking down the street in Eugene, Oregon. (No I'm not kidding, I've also been shot at by a pocher in a public forrest in Oregon too!)

I traveled all over mainland Mexico for years and never had a problem. I walked through some of the most notorious neighborhoods in Mexico City, been in towns in Chiapas where indigenous rebels had been at war with the army, ridden on a train that had been robbed three days before, and wandered down unknown paths though the jungle watching for snakes and jaguars.

In my experience it is much safer in Mexico than it is in the USA. Leave something of value unattended for long and it's gone; but, you should be fine otherwise. Just be aware, keep your guard up until you know when it is safe to let it down, and the crooks will go find an easier target.

The first time I went to Mexico I walked across the border at Mexicali. I could barley speak any Spanish and I had no car. I was just a silly gringo with a backpack and a dream. I walked all over town looking for a hotel and nobody messed with me. It took a few days; but, when I got away from the border, started to relax, and learned how to get along.. everything was great.

Mexico is a funny place. Some things will shock you, many things will surprize you, some things you will love, and some will confound you; but, you will never know unless you go.

Anything or anyplace you can imagine...you can find in the world.. you just have to go find it!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:01 AM

Yes Mango, what you say makes sense. However, many will be less willing to place their families at such a perceived risk by engaging in independent travel into the Mexican countryside. Instead, they would rather fly to a know destination with a pre-arranged transfer and stay at a safe resort without setting foot off the property. The losers in this instance are the non-megabusiness locals and the would-be independent traveler. I would imagine that the mega resorts represent such a huge percentage of tourist dollars into Mexico that there is little incentive for authorities to take effective action against such crimes and other abuse. If the reports are indeed accurate, then the ball is in Mexico's and its people's court. If they choose not to protect the independent traveler, I really won't be in the mood to hear them carp about how gringos don't take the initiative to experience and learn the real Mexico and its culture instead of indulging in the Melia and Riu's bottom line extraction methods of a one-week, blow-it-all Mexican vacation. I remember myself feeling such shame back when the German tourists were targeted in Florida.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:22 AM
Paranoia

is the leading cause of fear. I have traveled and lived in urban communities like San Pedro and an island, in the country, next to the beach bla bla and worked in places like Harbor City, Compton, Rosemead and Culver City to mention a few.
I maintain at least one home in another country and have traveled this country and parts of of others extensively.

I have never been mugged, robbed, held-up or physically harmed while traveling in my entire life. I did end up in Ensenada jail tho thanx to a biligerent friend. Other than that I have never had a problem in Mexico and that was 35 yrs ago.

With that said.... ALL those places experience(d) bad crimes at one point or another. It's really a matter of wrong place/wrong time usually. I have obviously been lucky to a certain degree. This new rash may be something more however.
Like life is; some things YOU can control, some you can't. If driving a night gives you the Willies, then you are smart to adjust your methodology about traveling. :!:

[Edited on 8-23-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Bob H

There was a lot of traffic on the toll road both ways but not too overwhelming. No problems - more law enforcement visible than before. Came back via Tecate with a 10 minute wait to cross back. The Guadalupe valley area was just beautiful. Lots of wine brewing!
Bob H

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by Bob H]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bob H

There was a lot of traffic on the toll road both ways but not too overwhelming. No problems - more law enforcement visible than before. Came back via Tecate with a 10 minute wait to cross back. The Guadalupe canyon area was just beautiful. Lots of wine brewing!
Bob H

Did you drive your late-model Ford truck? :lol:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.