Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
I am headed down to Ensenada TODAY! I'll give you a first hand report upon my return.
:rolleyes:
Bob H

There was a lot of traffic on the toll road both ways but not too overwhelming. No problems - more law enforcement visible than before. Came back via Tecate with a 10 minute wait to cross back. The Guadalupe valley area was just beautiful. Lots of wine brewing!
Bob H

Did you drive your late-model Ford truck? :lol:

Hook, didn't take the camper. Drove down in our 2002 Ranger - 4banger. Just a quick trip down and back.
When ya goin' down again?
Bob H

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Quote:
I am headed down to Ensenada TODAY! I'll give you a first hand report upon my return.
:rolleyes:
Bob H

There was a lot of traffic on the toll road both ways but not too overwhelming. No problems - more law enforcement visible than before. Came back via Tecate with a 10 minute wait to cross back. The Guadalupe canyon area was just beautiful. Lots of wine brewing!
Bob H

Did you drive your late-model Ford truck? :lol:

I meant Guadalupe Valley.... not canyon. :biggrin:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 10:57 PM

I'll be heading back down sometime after the 15th of sept. Been north for an operation and other assorted things. I like many others am concerned about the seemingly increased violence at the border. I suspect that if you kept a log of the violence in LA or any other big city and compared it to Baja, baja would pale in comparison. God knows how many times I've traveled up and down baja and never had an incident. Its possible that the plane you take to that destination thats so safe will crash also, but not likely.

I just think that everyone has to keep a proper prospective on this. There has been a lot of good advice on this board. Follow it and you'll be fine. Your more likely to be struck by lightning than gunfire.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 11:38 AM
Bob H.

I dont know when I'm going down next. This does not seem like a good time to head down right now.

Yet, the lure of October weather is strong.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 12:00 PM

Last year my wife and I took a trip to S. Africa. What an eye opener. there were signs on the freeways at various offramps that shouted "Hijacking Hotspot". When we were in the grocery buying some water and snacks we saw several ordinary looking folks who were packing large sidearms in shoulder or underarm holsters. These were not police.

We got a little lost coming back to Cape Town from the Cape of Good Hope and what with driving on the wrong side of the road and the wrong side of the car I hit a curb and blew the tire. We found a place to pull off and were changing the tire when a couple of good samaritans pulled up and got their own jack out and the tire changed in pit stop time. My wife commented she had hoped on of the several cabs that had passed us would stop and help.

The two young men- both armed- looked at her and calmly said if a cab had stopped you should have gotten in your car and driven away on the flat as they would steal everything you had and maybe kill you to boot. Needless to say we didn't drive at night any more and because the next day was a national holiday in S. Africa I stayed in town until I could get a replacement tire before driving to the wine country. I had read up on driving in S. Africa and thought I knew of the dangers and what parts of town to avoid etc.- Not

I felt like a guardian angel had come to our aid that night and the young men would take no money and followed us back into town to our hotel.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 12:12 PM
Societal Changes

It has been mentioned for years now that the street crime in South Africa has skyrocketed since the Afrikaner government yielded to ANC domination. I've read it is common for Four-Star hotels to have guards armed with Automatic weapons and the guests are warned to avoid walking the streets.

Progress ?
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 02:34 PM

Bedman, well said and thoughtful among the chaotic replies. Vortech, do what you need to do and I hope that you grow comfortable enough again to venture south.

Now ... I see the common, biased comparison of US crime stats vs Mexico's.

Well, at the end of the day, being a Police Chief, Newspaper Reporter or District Attorney in the US is not considered a "death wish". And folks, that is a pretty stark comparison.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 04:58 PM

PJC - great comparison
G35Vortec454

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 05:36 PM
Who would want to . . .

Who would want to go to South Africa on a safari, knowing all the risks involved . . .

Who would wants to skydive, knowing that's putting ones self in danger . . . and who would want to fly a small plane, knowing all the risks involved . . .

Who would want to go to Baja . . .

Since this is MY thread, I'd like to thank everyone for contributing. I just needed to hear all those who concur as well as the rebuttals.

I think I'll take a chance, but I'll make my moves and err on the side of caution.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by G35Vortec454
Since this is MY thread...

Thread ownership? Interesting concept which has been expressed here multiple times and which I'm still unclear on. Isn't that kinda like saying "MY conversation"?

--Larry

Larry, interesting response... but Vortec does own the thread. He is the only one that can delete it besides the administrator.
Just my 2-centavos.
Bob H

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
He is the only one that can delete it besides the administrator.
Point of clarification: the older board software would remove the entire thread if the original poster removed the first post. Now (with the updated versions of the board software), not so. If the original poster removes their first post - everything else is left still intact.

This is what is provided with the board software - I am not given an option that can be changed.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
He is the only one that can delete it besides the administrator.
Point of clarification: the older board software would remove the entire thread if the original poster removed the first post. Now (with the updated versions of the board software), not so. If the original poster removes their first post - everything else is left still intact.

This is what is provided with the board software - I am not given an option that can be changed.

Thanks, Doug, for the clarification. I didn't know that.
Bob H

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.