Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Raquel and Larry
jeanie

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:01 PM
Raquel and Larry

Word out of LA Bay is that Raquel and Larry Fife of Raquel and Larry's Motel - were on their way to the states. There was an attempted robbery and Raquel was shot and killed. No word yet on Larry. Happened near Catavinia.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:28 PM

God, I hope not!:no::no::no:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:44 PM

Tragic beyond description. I didn't stay at their place but I stopped by. They seemed nice. If this is indeed the case, that's proof that something is definitely screwed up down in Baja. I'm with David - let's hope this is a false alarm.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 10:36 PM

Raquel made dinner for my kids last February. Even with the 5 year old running into her kitchen. She has the calm smile of a grandmother.

Larry seemed to have an answer to everything.
Let's hope it's not true.
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:34 PM
Please no

That would be F*(#@ up. I will check with a friend.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:57 AM

OH GOD NO!!!! Please, somebody that knows their phone number call and make sure that they are okay!

Mean people suck!
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 06:35 AM

I sent an email to Bob. Hopefully he will get back to me today. I am leaving early in the morning for a bullet run. I will keep my eyes open:fire:
Porky Pig
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 07:10 AM

Our local San Quintin paper reports 9AM yesterday a green Ford Explorer was northbound near Catavina. A white vehicle overtook it and fired 9mm rounds into it. An American couple was in the Explorer. The paper identified them as Franklin Fife and his wife, Raquel Duarte Fife. Raquel was hit by the gunfire and later died.
No arrests as of the report time.
HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 07:46 AM

What are the odds that it was a White Toyota Pickup. Somebody needs to blast these scumbags.
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:01 AM
Who are running the white toys?

Quote:
Originally posted by HotSchott
What are the odds that it was a White Toyota Pickup. Somebody needs to blast these scumbags.

I stayed there a couple of years ago. A really nice couple.

Neil
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:02 AM

I have never been to BOLA, and I don't know the people who are certainly friends of many of you. Even for me this is a black day and has me seriously thinking about my relationship with Mexico. It is tragic beyond the norm. Someone please suggest a way that I and others can express our rage over the lack of legitimate law enforcement in a way that might make some difference.

If people in the tourist industry thought things were bad after 9-11, I think they are about to experience it all over again. It is time for the Mexican people to stand up on their own hind legs and demand justice for themselves and for foreigners who love their country.

I HATE having to cry this early in the morning.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:13 AM

:(

Black day indeed.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:37 AM

Just went and talked to one local policemen here in Bahia. Sad to verify that it is true; Raquel was killed. He did not know what Larry's condition was.
HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:39 AM

The white Toyota comment was in reference to the fact that the vehicle in this thread: http://www.bajanomad.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=18869

and the report above were both white. Also 9mm seems to be the weapon used in both cases.
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:43 AM

This is so scary! My prayers go out to the family, how tragic! We need to get the Baja english papper's to put warnings on the the front pages so the mexican goverment can see that thier tourist trade is threaten. It would be good to also say that the police seem not to take this too seriously. This might change after yesterdays report. Sounds like the bad guys were driving the the white SUV that was ripped off. That might be an over reaction but crap! If theres anything we can do as a group to curb this let us know.

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:51 AM

:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

Condolences to the family. A very sad day indeed.

Royosbaja

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:57 AM

Disturbing / heart breaking news...

Although my posts have been very few, I do keep up to date with the posts of others.

We own a home in BOLA and Larry and Raquel were a big influence in our decision to own there. Their open arms and heartfelt hugs were always a warm welcome. The many meals, c-cktails, and lively discussions shared with them will forever be with us and the loss of Raquel is numbing.

My wife and I were planning on a trip to BOLA leaving Friday morning. With this tragic development we will not be leaving. One reason is because we do not feel excited about going, another reason is due to the sudden increase in attempting to travel safely south of the border. I do not know what can be done to reverse this trend or will time just mend itself. I do know that time will not erase the friends we have made in Baja.

Our thoughts and love go out to ALL that met Larry and Raquel because to have met them, you were trully touched.

If there is any information about services, please post so that we can pay proper respects.
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 09:54 AM

Unbelievable - my whale shark trip in October is officially off.

Does anyone know if this is a random event, i.e. did they think they were carrying money or ??

:no:
Royosbaja

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 10:08 AM

I am in total agreement with Soulpatch.

These things happen. The difference in my limited perspective is that most other places afford a certain level of protection, whether assumed or real. These can be a simple as the local law enforcement agencies, other travelers, cell phones, 911, or your own personal method of protection, (i.e. .357), etc.
HWY 1 can be very crowded and frustrating at times especially when following a large transformer or local ranchero. And then again it can be a very lonely road. Cannot imagine how lonely Larry and Raquel, (God bless them both), felt yesterday morning, or that other traveller on another post who was shot heading north on the toll road.
After my pain, disgust, sorrow and grief subside, we will be returning to a place we love. Probably will be looking for others travelling the same direction as I cannot think of anything else to do other than travel in numbers.

Viva con Dios mi amigos
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 10:35 AM

Very sad and upsetting even not knowing the couple as they look like the most friendly people you'd ever want to meet. Will the local authorities EVER get their resources going and try to eradicate the scum?

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.