Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Glad and also sad to be a Nomad
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:39 PM
Glad and also sad to be a Nomad

Because regardless of our petty disagreements and differences in Baja philosophy all of us here share the desire to cohabitate and coexist. I hope that statement is true.
Sure we go off on each other occasionally. Voicing one's differences is healthy in my eyes. It certainly does not reflect the hate as we are all seeing lately in Baja Norte. Our passion south of the border is our common denominator and it is a strong one.
With all the phooey, silly stuff that crops up, it now comes to mind that we Nomads are a target but not to each other. Philosophically, we may find ourselves at opposite ends of the spectrum but we coalesce in times of tragedy.
That is why I am glad to be a Nomad.

but that's not the only reason I reside here.....

Sad when we hear of fellow Nomads' grief.

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:44 PM

Amen!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 02:39 PM

Well said Sharksbaja!

I truly appreciate all of the opinions, facts, stories and information that is shared on these pages. This forum is a wealth of information!

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 02:54 PM

you got it sharks
i think at these times we really need to pull together and for the good of all be heard
im not sure how we can do this?? but it seem that owr spending or lack of might give us some power and of course the power of the pen
its way too important to just let it pass by

jerry and judi
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:12 PM

I have been much more of a lurker than a poster---sometimes the banter seems a little intimidating---my problem---a little thin skinned at times. However, I love Baja, I love reading this forum, and I have received lots of good information, and answers to my questions.

Seeing the response to the current problems has really made me glad I found this forum---people want to be a part of the solution. My e-mails have been sent.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting any of you. But, while we have always traveled alone, we may be looking for some of you to follow.

Diane---still a Junior Nomad, but happy to be here

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:18 PM

I know animosity must exist towards our obvious proliferation of expensive vehicles and toys in Baja. That exists everywhere but given the scope of the traffic and opportunistic approach some are using leads one to believe that the thugs and criminals responsible for recent events are seriously desperate. I doubt any serious drug dealer or any other"important" black-market player(s) would ever compromise their livelyhoods by such blatant unplanned crime sprees. These are slime who do not even consider the consequences of getting nabbed or worse. The latter being my choice.
In the U.S. a shooter would be shot dead if he tried that car-jacking approach much. I know if someone shot at me and I had a loaded gun I would take careful aim back. If it's a question of "me or them", I choose "me"! Shame that deterrent can't happen in Mexico. One thing for sure tho.... those guys with the guns are getting thru the net.
I wonder if the recent relaxed military chk points have anything to do with the brazen moitis apperandi.

Jerry the good is that our eyes are wide open and with sharing first hand info here hopefully some important entities in Mex will take notice. Or perhaps allow permitted guns.Right......

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:23 PM

Sharks, I'll hoist a cold Pacifico to your post. And remember, we don't need to shoot back....a well placed pick-up truck or SUV will flatten just about anybody I know....just remember to by your Mexican insurance.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:43 PM

The vehicle as protection -- I hear that. One of my reactions to this series of posts has been to rethink my plans to get rid of the 2001 SuperCrew and go to a smaller vehicle. Tighten some bolts, give the drivetrain a thorough going over and spend a few bucks where needed, and it ought to be good for another 80,000 miles. It's getting a bit scuffed up, but that's probably a good thing.

As for the Nomad thing, I use this board to find and, hopefully, to provide others with timely and useful information and resources about a place I will continue to love and spend time in until they stick a fork in me or close the border. I'm also here for the comedy, of course.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:56 PM

Dan-O...crash/push bars mounted to the front...bolted to the frame, strengthen the rear bumper, insure it's bolted to the frame, window tint film on the side and rear windows....and don't forget big, bright lights for the front and back...........
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:11 PM

When we tried to get my in-laws to come to Baja they asked "What would you do if something bad happened down there ?".

I have no doubt that I could post a message requesting information or help and get it from a Nomad in quick order from anywhere in Baja.
I have already been invited to visit (and have visited) some Nomads that I'd never met before.

Not that I wouldn't keep going to Baja for another 25 years without you guys, but as we get older or bring our fragile children with us, it is good to be a Nomad. I hope to meet many more of you like-minded, good-hearted souls in the future. Good knowing you all !!
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:17 PM

"All of us share the desire to cohabitate"...hmmm

Cohabitate (cohabit)
1. to live together as husband and wife, usually without legal or religious sanction.
2. to live together in an intimate relationship.
3. to dwell with another or share the same place, as different species of animals.

Cool! I'm definitely paying more attention from now on. Brings a new meaning to "passion south of the border"!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:52 PM

Good post, Sharks!

The tendency by just a few Nomads to sling personal attacks really seems petty when we are confronted with the danger and tragedy that is occuring this week on Hwy 1. I personally enjoy reading peoples opinions even if they are different than mine. The humor is also very entertaining. I throw in some of my own at times. I'm sure that sometimes it falls flat, but I try not to offend or be inappropriate.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 05:13 PM

The more Nomads the greater the wealth of shared experiences and knowledge...

When the mud slinging, childish name calling and fighting are abscent then many more people come, stay and contribute to this otherwise fine forum.

We can and should be friends or at least friendly, as the reason we are here is our love for the California peninsula or desire to learn more about her.

For those of you who have not met others from this web site, I say fear not. Your life will be better because most of us want to help you find your brand of adventure in Baja California. It is a magic place...

Before the Internet, my dose of Baja came from periodic trips... Since I got 'on-line', I have met so many great people that share my excitement for the peninsula.

I started my web site to share photos of places and people that make Baja fascinating and fun... Originally it was Amigos de Baja (bajanet.com) where we got to first know each other. When that site retired, Doug was already ready with his new Baja Nomad forums.

THANK YOU DOUG, 'BAJA NOMAD' for your work giving us this place to share and enjoy so much of the place we all love!

Doug at Viva Baja #3 in 2002

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
THANK YOU DOUG, 'BAJA NOMAD' for your work giving us this place to share and enjoy so much of the place we all love!

Doug at Viva Baja #3 in 2002

Bravo! I second that!
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:19 PM

hea DAVID YOUR WORDS ARE GREAT BUT MORE BELIVABLE IF YOU MOVE TO THE SIDE JUST A LITTLE SO THE POT OF FLOWERS ARNT ON YOUR HEAD
all things aside thanks for your info

jerry and judi
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:37 PM

Jerry, that is Doug, not me in the above photo... I am not nearly as good looking! :cool:

This is me, below, eating at the Half Way House...:spingrin:

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:51 PM
Thanks Jerry:lol:

Ok David, leave room for others.:lol: I know you can't resist!If you hadn't noticed, I haven't generated a whole lotta threads lately.........hmmmmmmm????? :saint::cool:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:54 PM

Well Corky, it was all in the spirit of good fun and keeping the facts straight for Jerry. I must commend you and a very positive thread, thank you.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 09:02 PM

Thanx David, ya know summer is a very busy time for us, that is until tonight??? Go figure?? Beautiful weather etc. but hardly anyone on the Bayfront?? God I love this biz!! No really, I do! :biggrin: I kinda figgered everyone this side of Dallas knew what you looked like. In a way, that is pretty cool itself.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 09:32 PM

sorry david:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::yes::yes: ppl look different with a flowerpot on the heads:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

jerry and judi
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.