Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: VIOLENCE AND CRIMES AGAINST AMERICANS IN BAJA
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 04:44 PM
Recent Events

Wil cause us to re-arm. When we moved to Baja 5 years ago, I sold and gave away apprx 40 firearms. On our way south this season, we will aquire some things that will spoil the day of any that chose to harm us. I liked it better before when I gave no thought to returning to San Felipe @ midnight. This is BS and I hope that the perps are proscecuted and that we can get on with our lives.
kingpin
Banned

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 04:49 PM

Amo must not have read the most recent update.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 04:57 PM
40 ? How Could You ?

It brings tears to my eyes thinking of someone Giving up their firearms. While I have a dozen more than 40, I still have a list of those that I'd like to purchase if only I could convince my spouse. I still regret the "one" that I traded to a friend for a handgun of his. Before my retirement plans changed, I never for one moment considered giving up any. My original plan was to put a couple of safes in at a friend's house, but now that I don't plan to sell my YV home, I can still keep them here.

I hope you didn't give up any that were private purchases and had no paper trail leading to you. I consider those the most valuable in my collection. You just never know when that's going to become important.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 05:13 PM
They do listen...

Guys,

Sometimes people listen, specially if you explain the situation with courtesy and respect.

Here is an e-mail I received today from the Secretary of Tourism in Ensenada (Could someone help translate to english?... I am in El Rosario right now finally installing our Sewage Treatment Plant and I am very short on time at the moment.... thanks).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From HRosas@baja.gob.mx
To info@bajacactus.com
CC amartineze@baja.gob.mx, assistance@baja.gob.mx
Received Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:45:03
Subject Respuesta a incidentes de violencia...

Antonio,

Te comento que sobre la situaci?n de violencia que se est?
presentando, estamos tratando el asunto directamente con el Secretario. En breve estaremos llevando a cabo una reuni?n con autoridades federales y estatales. Te mantengo informado y las acciones a tomar, mismas que difundiremos con los canales adecuados. Te agradezco tu inter?s y apoyo para el manejo de esta situaci?n, que como bien dices, nos afecta a todos.

Te mando un fuerte abrazo y que tengas buen fin de semana !!

H?ctor Rosas
Delegado
Secretar?a de Turismo del Estado
Ensenada, B.C. Mexico
Tel: 646) 172.3022 Fax: 646) 172.3081
www.descubrebajacalifornia.com
www.enjoyensenada.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the weekend my friends... as for me... back to work!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 05:32 PM

Hector says they're working on it.

OK, a bit more than that. He says that as far as the situation of violence that has arisen is concerned, they are dealing directly with the Secretary (of Tourism). Briefly, they will be calling a meeting of state and federal authorities and he will keep Antonio informed of actions to be taken through the proper channels and he agrees with Antonio that the situation affects everyone.

Well, at least someone in Turismo is aware of the problem and Antonio, at least, is among Baja business people helping to raise that awareness.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 05:34 PM
MrBillM

Calm down my friend. I chose to dispose of some of my most prized possesions @ the time that we moved to BSM because I wanted to do it right and comply with the rules of the land. I also was at the point when I no longer wanted to kill anything. I now have a renewed interest in protecting my wife and myself. I hope that the incidents will cease and that our worst fear is that the paving to Cowpatty will not be completed. I'll buy you a pero caliete.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 05:51 PM

BTW, I'm not sure if it's a boast or an admission of guilt but I'm pretty sure I was the originator of the term "pizza insurance", defined as driving a "pizza chit" (the accent is important), paid for and of low enough value as to make anything beyond basic liability economically infeasible. I still own the RRR (Redneck Rolls Royce), an '82 Chevy PU. Right now the reverse gear is shot so it's just sitting in the driveway. Also, the credit union and I are now the proud owners of McGyver's '04 Taco. As this is a favorite among car thieves, it does give me cause for concern. I'll have to make sure any future insurance covers jacking.

Although I can see it from here, I haven't yet moved to Mexico and what to do with my arsenal is definitely a concern when I do. Probably leave them with my son-in-law in NC, I guess. I never have liked the concept of unilateral disarmament and now may weigh some alternate consequences. North of the border, the decision is easy. I'd rather be "tried by twelve than carried by six". Unfortunately it's not the same system there.

BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 06:04 PM

AmoPescar & All

I belive this leter to be a fine/appropriate idea. The letter drafted does not tell anyone "how to do their job", it merely points out a concern (increasing crime) and the possible result (fewer gringo dollars).

Living is San Diego I hear MANY radio comercials encouraging visits to Mexico and being safe. I TRUELY believe that the Mexican Govt. wants to encourage/embraces tourism.

I would cast the net further by sending a copy of this to all your favorite (or the ones you know of) Baja hotels, resorts, any place that thrives on the tourist dollar. Getting Mexican interests involved could help.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 06:24 PM

Just a few months ago over 15 cartel hitmen fired grenades and shot 657 rounds of bullets on Bajas top cop Manuel D?az Lerma's car , and you guys think the goverment can actually do something about criminals? i don't want to sound pessimistic here, but the governor is scared, the mayors are scared (except one), and cops are scared. If both Mexicans and Americans keep thinking things are not that bad, the goverment is in control, and things will change (for the better), they are in for a big surprise.

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 07:57 PM

KINGPIN

What is the most recent UPDATE I must have missed????

AMO :?:
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 08:10 PM

JESSE

When you are talking about the CARTEL, you are talking about a different class of criminal. They're NOT the ones who are pulling off robberies on the toll road. Maybe stealing some of the cars, but probably not doing that either.

That's like comparing a pick-pocket to robbing a Federal Reserve Bank of millions.

The cops are scared of them, and with good reason. They've got more, and better firepower than the police, and enough men to field an army capable of running over many opposing forces.

Amo :?:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 08:14 PM

jesse....where was this shooting at...?
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 09:00 PM

Oso---Very good translation. I am impressed. I got the jist of the letter---but you got it better. Muy intelligente. Jesse, you are partially right. What happened in Central America is that the cartel became stronger than the government. Finally, the police and the people themselves had enough and put the head of the cartel in a real jail. If Mexico does not move quickly against the drug cartel, they will lose control of the country. The violence is not just against Americans----Mexicans are being killed too. Drugs bring in a lot of money and money can buy a lot of influence and power. It is just possible that it is too late for Mexico to turn this around. We will have to wait and see what the new President does about the cartels operating in Mexico.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I'm pretty sure I was the originator of the term "pizza insurance", defined as driving a "pizza chit"...

A quick search of this board yields Oso first commenting on "Pizza Insurance" 05/22/05:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10601&pag...
(or)

And Dave first commenting on a pizzachit vehicle 05/10/04:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3354&page...

(well... SOMEONE had to go look it up didn't they?)

;)

--
Doug

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 03:52 AM

To All Nomads;
Thank youall for your input and actions directed at the Mexican and American Govt.
Your efforts should be Doubled toward the California and Washington Officals. Contact all of them with your Concerns. Start an Email/Telephone Tree.
These Criminal Actions will sooner or Later be taken care of by the People of Baja as they have been in the Past .
Example: The closing of Hwy 1 for 48 Hours at Loreto.
The dissapearance of a "Bad Cop" who beat and nearly Killed a Local Youth
in Loreto. It is reported that his body is in 1500 Ft. of Water somewwhere off of Carmen Island.
When enough pressure does not do the Job,locals whose pocketbooks are affected will take care of things in their own ways.
In the Meantime, keep up the pressure on both sides of the Border.

I will still suggest that the American Govt. Close the Borders at TJ, Mexicali, El Paso for a period of 1 Week-No One Crosses.
Travel in the Daylight, stay off of the Toll Road, Slow down be Aware of your Surroundings..
Send those emails directly to President Bush, John McCain, Arnold and all Senators. Notify all the Newspapers in Texas,California, Arizona.

Keep up the Pressure!

Anon The Preacher
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
JESSE

When you are talking about the CARTEL, you are talking about a different class of criminal. They're NOT the ones who are pulling off robberies on the toll road. Maybe stealing some of the cars, but probably not doing that either.

That's like comparing a pick-pocket to robbing a Federal Reserve Bank of millions.

The cops are scared of them, and with good reason. They've got more, and better firepower than the police, and enough men to field an army capable of running over many opposing forces.

Amo :?:

Its all linked pescar, its not separate as many want to believe, those robbers are drug addicts, who buy from cartel tiendas, and the tiendas are protected by local cops, in other words, why would the cops jail their own customers? and when you have 70% of the force under the payroll of drug cartels, they spend their days protecting their bosses, shipments, or doing surveilance against other cartels, they are not going to waste their time investigating a robbery if they have a REAL job doing something illegal.

If the cops wanted to do something, they could, they know who these people are and they know where they live, problem is, theres a big conflict of interest, they are paid to protect the drug trade and they are paid to protect us from criminals, if they turn a blind eye against petty criminals nothing happens, but if they hurt the very drug business they protect, they can end up dead wrapped in a blanket in a ditch.

The problem is one and the same

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 08:55 AM

Kingpin.......just exactly what do you remember about this????...........what are the "same" characteristics????

Quote:
Originally posted by kingpin
Contacting the US media would be the most effective. As it relates to this one case. Anyone remember the two guys from Reno 10 or so years back? This case is taking on the same characteristics.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 09:14 AM

There is a story in the San Diego Union today---posted and copied in the Baja News area, and here is a link. Report in San Diego Union

Of course what happened to the Fifes was confirmed by officials in Baja, but what happened to Tom was only confirmed by the San Diego Police.

Quote:

Lorena Blanco, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana, said she knew of the incident that claimed the life of Raquel Duarte Fife, a naturalized U.S. citizen, but not the other incidents.

Quote:

Monica V?jar, a spokeswoman for Baja California's tourism office, said she only knew of the Fife case, as well. V?jar said tourism officials have been meeting with law enforcement in the southern part of the state where the killing took place to beef up security.

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by jdtrotter]

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by jdtrotter]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kingpin
Anyone remember the two guys from Reno 10 or so years back? This case is taking on the same characteristics.
Sure. Alan Swan and Herb Dohr. Almost 9 years ago: Nov '97.

I don't see "same characteristics" with this though.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I'm pretty sure I was the originator of the term "pizza insurance", defined as driving a "pizza chit"...

A quick search of this board yields Oso first commenting on "Pizza Insurance" 05/22/05:
(or)

And Dave first commenting on a pizzachit vehicle 05/10/04:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3354&page...

(well... SOMEONE had to go look it up didn't they?)

;)

--
Doug

With all due respect, Doug, the term predates this board. You'd have to see if the Robitailles have archives of the early Amigos board. Where does Dave say he first saw it?

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by BajaNomad]
:spingrin:

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.