Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Taking dog to Baja???
fossilnut

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 07:56 AM
Taking dog to Baja???

We're planning on bringing our new dog with us to Baja. I've read that you need to have an International Certificate of Good Health (Form 77-043) issued by a licensed veterinarian who has examined your pet within 10 days of transport. It will be much more than 10 days from when we leave home to when we cross the border. I've also heard that any problems taking pets to Baja would probably be coming back into the US. I'm wondering if I can get this form from my local vet (probably 20-30days before crossing the border)??? Or do we have to find a vet closer to the border to examine "Princess" and get the form completed within 10 days of border crossing?

Also....my vet said that the rabies shot was the only one necessary for taking a pet to Baja by car. One web site I read said that you also need vaccinations for Hepatitis, PIP and Leptospirosis within the last calendar year. Do we need these other vaccinations?

Thanks!

Sandy
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:06 AM

Been taking dogs to Baja for two decades and have never been asked for papers either direction.
Worst case: They suddenly require papers, you go back (either direction) and get shots and papers, and in an hour return to the border.

Use Search to find many other posts on this subject.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:20 AM

Get the vets certificate. If asked, you will have it. I never been asked for it yet. Just don't let your dog run amuck in Baja---or you might not see her again and most of the other dogs have not had their shots.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:30 AM

Going in and out of Baja, we have never been asked for dog papers. However, we do carry their shot records. For their safety and well being, they need ALL of their shots. Parvo is very common along the border.

We make sure our dogs are current with Heartguard and Frontline, also.

Got an international certificate once, and kept "renewing" it with the computer, and was only asked when returning from Guatemala into Mexico.

Have a great trip
Diane

[Edited on 8-27-2006 by jdtrotter]

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:41 AM

we take our dogs every trip...no problems

parvo and ticks could be a problem but we haven't encountered anything

take your new dog

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:47 AM

I've been asked once, returning to the U.S., showed a Rabies cert. from a Mexican Vet, no problem. Never heard of the "international" form. Never asked entering Mexico.

I've also had a U.S. Customs Agent in secondary offer the gratuitous information that he would shoot my dog if he interfered with their search. He is a somewhat aggressive Chow/Lab mix, but at the time he was on a leash and not growling or exhibiting any kind of threatening behaviour.

It's just the odds. If you cross the border a lot and you don't look or act suspicious, you'll find most agents to be civil and professional. But sooner or later, you're going to have to deal with an ( . )

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:48 AM

Like the others, I have never had to present paperwork for our dog.

A caution...in Loreto, we have had spring and summer problems with ticks. While our dog has not gotten sick, he sure has had a bunch of ticks. This is from email newsletters we get from Lynn Hamman on Loreto events:

"1. Brown Dog Tick --- called "tick fever" or "Ehrlichia" ..... Several dogs have died recently because of this virus. It is common in most animals and is fatal if not treated. Ehrlichia has been present in the Baja for many years but it comes and goes with its presence on a large scale. Well, it's back. Symptoms include fever, lethargy, weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. The dog can be treated with Doxycycline or Minocycline which Juan, our vet here in Loreto, has on hand. If you notice any of these symptoms, you need to take action immediately and get your dog to Juan. Applying a tick preventative liquid, a shot or pills will help to control the ticks but does not control the ticks 100%. The dogs that have recently died and acquired this virus were all on monthly tick medicine. Also, Juan has a pesticide that can be sprayed in your yard to control the ticks that breed."

We take a flea and tick collar called Preventix that we get from our vet. I don't think it's available in stores. Seems to work; ticks will fall off the dog where he sleeps. In my opinion, the liquids like Frontline and Revolution do nothing to these ticks.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:54 AM

Keep a current copy of rabies and other vaccinations IN your car. Never been asked for anything in Baja and asked once when returning into the US for the rabies cert - which of course we did not have with us that one time. He advised just to copy it and keep it in the car - so we do that now.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 08:59 AM
OSO------

-----as a Park Ranger I have been bitten two times as I entered camp sites, and have been aggressively attacked several times when checking suspicious cars----------in my later years I ALWAYS informed the owner of dogs, if present, that I would SHOOT THE DOG if it attacked, and I truly meant it. Getting bitten gets REAL old after a while.

One dog was a Great Dane, and he tore my ear off, and much of my scalp, and almost got my right eye-------costs $2200 to have it all sewed back on, back in about 1975. I had to sue the owner to get the payment.

Get the picture???
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Like the others, I have never had to present paperwork for our dog.

A caution...in Loreto, we have had spring and summer problems with ticks. While our dog has not gotten sick, he sure has had a bunch of ticks. This is from email newsletters we get from Lynn Hamman on Loreto events:

"1. Brown Dog Tick --- called "tick fever" or "Ehrlichia" ..... Several dogs have died recently because of this virus. It is common in most animals and is fatal if not treated. Ehrlichia has been present in the Baja for many years but it comes and goes with its presence on a large scale. Well, it's back. Symptoms include fever, lethargy, weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. The dog can be treated with Doxycycline or Minocycline which Juan, our vet here in Loreto, has on hand. If you notice any of these symptoms, you need to take action immediately and get your dog to Juan. Applying a tick preventative liquid, a shot or pills will help to control the ticks but does not control the ticks 100%. The dogs that have recently died and acquired this virus were all on monthly tick medicine. Also, Juan has a pesticide that can be sprayed in your yard to control the ticks that breed."

We take a flea and tick collar called Preventix that we get from our vet. I don't think it's available in stores. Seems to work; ticks will fall off the dog where he sleeps. In my opinion, the liquids like Frontline and Revolution do nothing to these ticks.

Ehrlichia --- a very nasty disease. We have had pretty good luck with the Advantax (sp) and Frontline---recently we were in tick country---husband two ticks, dogs, none---but I don't trust anything 100%. I had one, but got it before it dug in. I will check out the collar you suggested. (not for us, but for the dogs) :yes:

Thanks for the warning about Loreto as we may be going there soon. Also, thanks for the name of the vet.

Diane

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 09:34 AM
More of the Same

In the late 70s when I began to take my dogs to Baja with me, I checked the "stated" regulations and went to the vet for International Health certificates which I updated for a number of years. I was never asked for them in Baja or the U.S. The first time the U.S. agent asked about the dogs, he told me that they wanted to see ONLY the pets Rabies Certification. Since that time, I have been asked for the information on probably a dozen occasions and each time they wanted ONLY the Rabies shot record.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 09:42 AM

To get a dog licensed in California, they need a rabies vaccination...

The rabies shot certificate was the only request ever made on the many trips with dogs I took back in the 70's and 80's.

Since rabies is not the problem it once was, they seemed to have stopped asking for them from what other dog owners tell me.

Having a big dog is you best security in Mexico, by the way, since we gringos can't have a gun with us (legally).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
-----as a Park Ranger I have been bitten two times as I entered camp sites, and have been aggressively attacked several times when checking suspicious cars----------in my later years I ALWAYS informed the owner of dogs, if present, that I would SHOOT THE DOG if it attacked, and I truly meant it. Getting bitten gets REAL old after a while.

One dog was a Great Dane, and he tore my ear off, and much of my scalp, and almost got my right eye-------costs $2200 to have it all sewed back on, back in about 1975. I had to sue the owner to get the payment.

Get the picture???

I can understand the need to protect yourself and I can understand issuing a warning if the dog is unrestrained or exhibiting aggresive behaviour. In this instance, my dog was on a leash, away from the car, not bothering anyone. It was not necessary to tell me to restrain the dog, he was restrained. It did not come across as a factual, informative cautionary statement. It was not stated in a civil manner. It was pure gratuitous, unnecessary macho blustering. The guy was acting like an buttcrack and was even more obnoxious when he didn't find anything illegal.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 11:52 AM
OSO------

-----a few LE folks do get obnoxious, unfortunately, but I just wanted to give "the other side of the story" less others think that this "statement" about "shooting your dog" is "out of line"-------it isn't. LE officers do not get paid to get bit by dogs---even one's that are seeminly restrained.

I can attest to the value of having a big dog in the boonies of Baja---------our German Shepard has scared off at least one set of visitors in the middle of the night up in Agua Caliente canyon several years ago. We found out later that a Pot Garden was very near by, unknown to us at the time.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 12:00 PM
Ehrlichia

Ehrlichia

Indeed a very nasty disease. Just talking to a friend in TS because one of the pups we
brought back last month is showing signs of enlarged spleen and lethargy. She tells me
that some people treat their dogs with the antibiotics on a regular basis as suggested by
one of the local vets who say that most baja dogs have the disease.

Having said that, we will be bringing our old heeler and baja princess with us in the spring and know numerous others who travel with their dogs. Should not be a problem if you comply with health certificates.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 01:05 PM

I always travel with my big (90lb) German Shephard/Husky mix. I have had him in Baja for months at a time and have never had a problem with sickness or border agents. However, the dangers are out there and it is always best to keep your dogs current with shots. The tick collar, Preventic, works well too.

Now, regarding the international health certificate. I always have one from my vet when I cross the border going south. Sometimes I get one for the crossing north. I have never been asked for it anywhere. But.....come on.....your dog is part of your family. Why take a chance in having it confiscated. Times are changing. With all of our recent political border vigilence and noise, resentment and reprisals are bound to occur. Your pet is as vulnerable as we humans are when hostility exists. Complience can alleviate some of that worry. Without it they have an excuse to abuse.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 01:11 PM

Yes, if the international health certificate is older than ten days when crossing the border, you'd better walk into a vet's office closer to the border and get one. I can't say if that vet would require a full exam. Probably not, if you have current rabies and shot records from your regular vet. There will be a fee for issuing the certificate.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 01:45 PM

Nice to see so many who take their 4 legged amigo to Baja. While many have never been asked for the health certificate, we have. Our dog has spent 8 winters with us in La Paz. Once we flew to Guaymas and they would NOT release the dog from the baggage area unless we had the certificate. Would have been a real pain to get it then. This was not a planned trip. Then we were asked at the checkstop just outside of La Paz another time. Our La Paz vet charges $8 for the certificate. We do get the certificate here in the US also, but combine it with a health checkup. Things are changing in Mexico and authorities becoming more businesslike. A couple of words of caution beyond those listed: Street dogs can have mange and scabies. Your dog can get it from them. Also, certain towns (and businesses) in Baja put out poison to reduce the number of strays. Keep your dog on a leash. Pufferfish found on the beaches can also poison your dog. We thoroughly enjoy our dog in Baja and so will you!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
-----a few LE folks do get obnoxious, unfortunately, but I just wanted to give "the other side of the story" less others think that this "statement" about "shooting your dog" is "out of line"-------it isn't. LE officers do not get paid to get bit by dogs---even one's that are seeminly restrained.

I can attest to the value of having a big dog in the boonies of Baja---------our German Shepard has scared off at least one set of visitors in the middle of the night up in Agua Caliente canyon several years ago. We found out later that a Pot Garden was very near by, unknown to us at the time.

As I said, "you'll find most agents to be civil and professional." I have no doubt this was an anomaly, it just illustrates my point about the odds of having to deal with an ( . ). I'd say I've had about 1.5 to 2 unpleasant experiences per 100 crossings Let's say, for the sake of argument, that all ICE and BP agents have been instructed by their superiors to tell ALL dog owners being inspected that an attack could result in shooting the dog. There's a way to say that to make it a simple routine caution; "Please restrain your dog because..." I'd have no problem obeying those instructions rather than a crude, boastful, posturing threat from Lt. Dangle to efing blow the efing dog's efing head off.

And I'm glad we agree on the value of a good dog for protection. We had a large yellow shepherd/coyote b-tch who may have well saved our lives under similar circumstances.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 10:01 PM

What, I can't call even my female dog a b-tch?:?:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.