Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Vehicle leasing vs. buying
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonora Wind Oh my 2sents Buy a low mileage used vehicle from someone who just refied the equity in their house, and now wants a new ride.:cool:

Damn straight! Refi Fools are a dime a dozen in this economy.

Then, there's my next door neighbor. He jumped at the chance to get a new truck when Ford announced their new "6 year, no interest plan for people with less-than-perfect credit." I guess he got tired of all the other husbands on the block with trucks. :lol:

Anyway, I guess he figured he didnt need to negotiate price, with the financing deal. BAD MOVE! He comes home with a four door F-150 2wd. Yeah, it's the Lariat package with the leatherette interior. But the thing ran him 38k, out the door! :o Obscene!

Now, he's talking about another 2k in new wheels and tires and another 500.00 for an exhaust.

Never can seem to find any money for a down payment on a house......just keeps on renting, even though he's been with the same outfit for 10 years.

Paul Lynde said it best....."What's the matter with kids TOOO-DAYYYYYYY !!!!!!
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:22 PM
I'm off to see the wizard

I need a brain and an equity loan. $40,000 plus PU. Where does the the line start? :cool:

PS: What do you do with an F150?:cool:

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by Sonora Wind]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonora Wind
I need a brain and an equity loan. $40,000 plus PU. Where does the the line start? :cool:

PS: What do you do with an F150?:cool:

You drive around and pretend it's a REAL truck while you're doing all the things the sedan you traded in could do'like dropping off the kids at school and dropping off the kids at the beach.....:lol:

Seriously, you can get a helluva lot more truck for 38k if you negotiate in this climate, IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE A NEW TRUCK! The Big Three are desperate right now.

I'm not that down on the F-150. The newer version is an improvement over the one they dumped around 2003-4. That one was a truck body on a mid-sized sedan or something.

Personally, I'd look for someone dumping a late model Dodge Diesel 4wd.....someone who is out of work, due to the housing slowdown and who bought it during the housing boom. The newer Ford diesels have issues......

Or, you could wait for the new Tundra that is supposed to be out in January, if you're going new.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:02 PM

[
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Skeets thinking is from 1940's
Welcome to the 2000's

If everyone followed his plan we be in a depression again.

3 year old cars start to break down and repairs need to be completed...
and the smell....

Davik K has the right idea...nicer car for less monthly payment...

Buy buy buy...lease lease lease...
The economy and the USA will thrive.

I disagree.
Buy a car and keep it for a long long time.

The economy is not run on cars. But if you have to choose between buying and leasing, go with buying.

My 10 year old Toyota Tacoma has yet to break down. Simply minor regular maintenance.
And what is my monthly payment after buying it 10 years ago? $0.00 (Priceless!)
What is my yearly "car tax"? a measly $100

If leasing were so good why not lease everything like houses?, furniture to go in the house? computers? CD's?, MP3's?, videos?, DVDs?, clothes? All we should have to buy would be food, since the leassor probably would not want it back at the end of the brief lease period.....:lol:

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by Taco de Baja]
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:13 PM
As I reflect

I took it in the shorts with several vehicles I bought in the past. So I guess the young one you spoke of may still have some growing/learning to do. If I had a $100,000.00 for every mistake I made. I Know ( I'ed buy Baja ) Notice how I got back to the Baja topic. :lol::lol::lol: :cool:
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:19 PM
So Taco

Let's say your ten year old Toyota stops running, say in Cardiff on your way to La Fonda for a great surf trip. You open the hood! Discribe what you see, and what you do without your TYNR-4530-4 engine analizer:cool:

Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:22 PM
I know what I would do

Call AAA:cool:
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
quote]Originally posted by Sonora Wind
Let's say your ten year old Toyota stops running, say in Cardiff on your way to La Fonda for a great surf trip. You open the hood! Discribe what you see, and what you do without your TYNR-4530-4 engine analizer:cool:

Well, I'd...Ummmm...Wellll.....I'd guess I would have to unpack my TYNR-4530-4, plug it in and see what it said to do. ;D

In reality though I would have a better chance of fixing my partly mechanically controlled 1996 Tacoma, or finding parts for it, than I would knowing want to do with a completely electronically controlled 2006 Tacoma.
I have done a lot of the maintenance on the truck myself and could fix or replace many parts that might break. If a circuit board gets fried though in either the 1996 or 2006....Well then I am back to the TYNR-4530-4 telling me there is a failure in the com-link between the wizzy-hoot and the muffler bearings. And that I can not fix! :D
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:41 PM
Dont get me wrong, SW.....

...if you are looking at 3/4 ton and up with creature comforts, 4wd, and an engine that will tow, you are talking at least 40k new.

But not for an F-150......:rolleyes:
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:50 PM
No

Check with Kelogg Idaho:cool:

Or someone who just refried: ouch! refied. :cool:

GMC Chevy or Dodge. In Kelogg. Sorry no F 2 or 350. But check Galager Ford in Elko Nv or St George Ut Or Canada as in BC Ford. Great prices. Airline ticket Doc signing lunch, long but interesting drive home.:cool:

Did I mention no sales Tax. Most States charge when you get the plates : ( :cool:

[Edited on 8-30-2006 by Sonora Wind]

[Edited on 8-30-2006 by Sonora Wind]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 08:10 PM

Hello?
Wow, some real good advice from some very different Angles.
Bob and Susan- !940's??????

I was 40 years old and always had worked for someone else,had bought a House in Pleasanton Calif. Made $16,800 net Cash. First time I had ever seen $16,,000 in Pile.
Bought a Ford Van, Full of Tools and Accounts{Snap-On Tool Route} in 1972- In 1983 I Sold out as I had 1 million Dollars! Married Virginia and Moved to Baja and Built Rancho Sonrisa and went fishin every day I wanted.
I am now employed on a Partime basis as a Buyer for the Dealer Banker of 6th St in Amarillo, Texas-Go to Oklahoma City where 14 Lanes of Cars are Auctioned every Thursday, and to Lubbock Texas Auction for 2 Auctions on Wed. and Thursday.

Bought a New 1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 Cylinder, put 167,000 miles on the Baja Highway-Purchased for $20,000 sold 8 years later for $10,000.
Bought a used Jeep Cherokee in Arizona for $15,000 drove it for 5 years ,sold for $10,800. Put about $700 in rear Bearings.

All the money I saved on not buying new Cars or Leasing I put into Pro[perty and made another Million!!Right. now if anyone is interested I will loan out what you need at 10%- All it takes is a Warranty Deed on your Home .

Let me Know.

Skeet/Loreto
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 08:48 PM

HA! Skeeter, you can have a deed to my home anytime! (well, maybe just a LEASE on a room!)

I have to say, again......I'm with the 'pay it off people' ....a car note gives me hives, I've had 2 car notes in my life.....couldn't wait to pay them off, and did in short order. I really have no idea how high finance works, all I know is that the less debt I have (except my home loan, which is tax deductible) rent and just put a match to your living expences, tax wise) the better off I am......If you are still working people, buy, BUY, BUY! Especially if you live (well, on the Planet Earth) every dollar you spent on Rent, you might as well just put a match too, much more fun I would think would be to deduct every dollar that you spend on interest, which is most of your home costs. If you rent, you are paying your landlord's taxes and mortgage. MHOP

Mean people suck!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 09:06 PM

That has been very true historically. It is less true in certain parts of the US today where the increase in rents has not matched the increase in housing prices. Short-term renting can make more financial sense in the current state of affairs in certain locales. But you are right regarding longer term purchases.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 09:41 PM

JZ,

Is there some part of the USA where rent is tax deductible? (that is federal) And I have to wonder, where is renting, short term or otherwise making more financial sence, not doubting you, (or maybe I am, I really want to know.)

Mean people suck!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:08 PM

Let's take an example. I have a friend that was just looking at a Condo in LA. They think they want to be here for at least 2 years, but not sure after that. A 1,100 sq place in a nice neighborhood runs maybe $480K (+ closing costs). Even putting 20% down ($100K), you are looking at payments of close to $3K per month including mortgage, property taxes, and hoa.

The same place will rent for maybe $2,000-$2,300. There are no other payments for the renter except a security deposit of probably $4-5K.

If the buyer is thinking about moving in say two years, they face two possible negatives, 1) there is real possibility housing prices in LA could dip short term and 2) they need to pay sellers closing costs on the re-sell.

The renter can put the $100K in some other investment and pay less per month.

In a short term scenario renting may be best.

[Edited on 8-30-2006 by JZ]
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:15 PM

by the way the $100,000 wright off doesnt need to be a new rig

and i hear ya skeet my first home was $13,500 and i still never lived in it 2nd was $17,000 3rd $27.500 4th was 2 and a half acers and a 3 br for$42,000
i had all of them for over 30 years still own 2 just sold the 2 and a half acers there tearing down the house and building 30 condos

i have never bought a new car but had 1967 camero ss rs 1969 LT1vett
1952 fl ridgid chopper, 1963 reno police special 80 incher 1969 sanfransisco trike 45 ci.in and a bunch of otheres and i been simi retired sinice was i was 42 guess were doing somthing wrong?? time and money can make sweet bedfellows it eather works for ya or against ya

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:17 PM

ps and still dont waist my time on spelling and typing lessons:lol::lol::lol:

jerry and judi
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 05:04 AM

It is difficult for the "Youngsters that have not been trained properly" to understand basic "Make and Spend, Save!
I know several places and ways for anyone to Make a Million Dollars in the nexr 5 to 10 years.
One example:
Seek out an area away from California{Because of the Heavy Tax Structure} Go into a Neighborhood of Older Homes where the Townhas a Community Development, buy a House say for $65,000, Apply to Hud for a One Half Payback on cost of Repairs in exchange for Renting to a Sec. 8{Guaranteed Rent Check} for 2 years.
Selcet the Renter who is looking to buy a House, is working, rent for the 2 years then sell him the House, take a Note for 30 years at 10%

Buy a 3 year old Car with less than 36,000 Miles, leave your Cash, say $20,000 in a CD, borrow aganist your own Money, usually costs you about 2 %.

Did the Lessors every wonder why the Car Dealership can afford so many Sales People to Greet you, then take you to a "Closer" then to a finance Person????

Stop , Look. and Listen. Make your next Car Purchase a Need, not a Want!!

Anon The Preacher
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 06:03 AM

10%...that's usery...

when you talk about cars and realestate you are talking about "apples and oranges"

a car deperciates the day you drive it off the lot....realestate historically does not.

Owning a car 10 years...technology makes cars better and better each year.
Most people keep a new car 4 years...the next guy can repair it:lol:

David K needs a newer car...he travels long distances all the time.
A 10 year old truck would just put him and his family at "risk"

He pays for 1/2 the truck and lives a better life.
so what's wrong with his lease...
you can't take it with you...and he is having "fun" while he's still young.:bounce:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 07:06 AM
Bob and Susan

Not usery--Don't believe it exists anymore. Pay Day loans charge up to 300% some more when the fools can't make the payments and have to re-fry (thanks Sonora Wind) the rate can hit 700%. Look ar what banks charge when they guaranty overdrafts.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.