Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Does anybody know
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 05:19 AM
Does anybody know

If it is possible to get data off a broken floppy? The metal spring that controls the slide plate on the disk came out and the plate off. Can't put it together and can't get my data. Any ideas?
M
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 07:11 AM
Hey Folks

I don't know the answer to M's question--but--I do know that it is important because all her stories are on that floppy and they need to be unlocked so that we can all enjoy some of the best stories written about Baja.

I know one of you knows the answer.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 08:32 AM

Hi M
I removed the door of a floppy and it still worked fine.
I am concerned that the spring( and it DOES have one) may have damage the disk. I then removed the spring and the disk still worked fine.
The spring is about 1 1/8" long. If your spring is shorter there may still be part of it inside. Take a stiff razor blade and at the corner where the spring was and pushing away from you break the corner glue joint. Then spread it about 1/2" and see if the rest of the spring will fall out. I did this and the disk still worked fine.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 08:34 AM
Wonderful Help from Concord to Cairo

Anyone else--remember you are contributing to the recovery of some very fine jewels.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 08:46 AM

I also pulled the metal plate off of an old 3 1/2" floppy with Word docs on it and it still worked fine as the Wikipedia article mentioned by morgaine7 indicated.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 08:52 AM

I forgot to say, yes you should try a known good drive, but try a known good floppy first.
Also I cut the opposite drive door corner too and was able to lift half the plastic case front and back and inspect the disk, then close and rotated disk and inspected the rest. Your are looking for a bad scratch. If there are no bad scratches then a professional can repair the disk by putting in a new case. If you say there are no scratches on yours I will attempt to change out the case here, as I think it would be easy.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:03 AM

I have successfully removed the disk and put in another case and it worked fine. Be careful not to touch the disk except at the metal center.
Remove the disk from another case first so the important disk is exposed the least.

Albert G

M
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the help.

Now I am really concerned. I did try running it without the slide and an error message came up that said 'the disk is not formated, would you like to format it now?'
I know it used to work.
I think I will check the yellow pages for a genie granting wishes, or, at least a data recovery service of some kind.
Again, I appreciate.
M

[Edited on 28-8-2006 by M]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:26 AM

i just put this picture on a disk without a metal sliding cover...

worked fine...

it's probably your drive..$10 replacement
no software required...just a screw driver

open the door and blow air from your mourh inside...
this works about 50% of the time.

alos try opening the file from windows explorer...sometimes the back door is better:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:30 AM
Floppy

You can also purchase an external USB Floppy Drive for $20 or less.
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 10:27 AM
HOORAY!!! sort of...

I found a hard copy of my 'claim to fame'. That's the story where I managed to flip my boat, then completed my humiliation by emerging naked from the surf to then be locked out of my van....
I am still going to try and find a proffesional to recover the other stories. I will mostly miss the diary of BHL's and my first trip to Baja together.
Regarding the other great info in this thread, I will also add that I did successfully use that A drive to copy other floppy's so I know the drive is ok. When I put the disk in the drive, I get the message 'The disk is not formatted, would you like to format it now'? I know the info is on there because I have used it before. I tried opening the disk a few different ways and back doors, still the same message. Sigh.
Thank you all for tolerating my off topic post. It does go to once more demonstrate that no matter the crisis, If you just ask for help, a dozen Nomads will be there within the hour. A special thanks to Bernie for tearing his house appart looking for copies I sent him. BIG hugs to you all,
M
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 10:43 AM
M

sent the stories to me because I was trying to get her to write a book. She is a wonderful writer and being a woman with a unique outlook on life it would sell like hotcakes.

Now, perhaps she will and we all will better understand a Baja that is seen through a much different lense than the normal 'guy' stuff. Her stuff is open, honest, hard hitting, and at the same time 'womanly.' (Notice I did not say 'Lady like').

M you just might try Kinko's they have been very helpful to me in changing floppies to CD's etc. Just a thought.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 10:44 AM

M..
Try this:
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Disk_Maintenanc...
Bueno Suerte

Albert G

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 01:01 PM

Busted Floppy?, That's a serious condition. Got to watch 'em! If they start flipping you better run!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 04:23 PM

two outfits who can do this for you are the FBI and CIA. Also the NSA has good techs for this.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 04:31 PM

M...BE VERY CAREFUL!

Quote:
Busted Floppy?, That's a serious condition. Got to watch 'em! If they start flipping you better run!

Cypress is RIGHT. I had one of those little boogers start flooping around on me one time and flopped right off of my desk. It was flopping REAL hard and then just laid there. I wasn't sure what to do...scared the h_ _ _ out of me!

AMO :saint:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 04:53 PM

Still waiting and wondering when the films of the 'surfing event' will be made available....:lol::lol::lol:
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 07:26 PM
LOLOLOL

You guys are SOOOO funny! Thank heavens I know where to turn during a crisis. If it can't be fixed I can still count on you all to put things in the right perspective again. Thanks. I'll start typing and start posting a bit at a time. Seems the 'naked' part has these guys facinated. :lol::moon::rolleyes:
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:54 PM

M --- if this is the story with the 'prota bote' then you posted it here on "nomads" a couple of years (??) ago. I Just did a search using your register name (M) and 'porta bote'
ps the story intrigued me enough that I am now an owner of a porta bote (12') NOW just need time to get it WET.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reefrocket
M --- if this is the story with the 'prota bote' then you posted it here on "nomads" a couple of years (??) ago. I Just did a search using your register name (M) and 'porta bote'
ps the story intrigued me enough that I am now an owner of a porta bote (12') NOW just need time to get it WET.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Must be a funny night

Albert G

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.