Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Stuck in Baja again
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 11:14 PM
Speaking of expanded metal as an 'unstuck'...

...what's the wildest kind of stuff you've see thrown under the rear wheels to try to get unstuck?

Many of us have probably used boards torn from a nearby fence, or stalks of corn from the field we've been 'wheelin' through, or maybe plastic Wal-Mart bags we collected from bushes in the area.

In the old days, you could use unfolded cigarette cartons, Burma Shave signs, and grandpa's overalls.

These days, one has to be more creative...like, laying many flattened Tecate cans along side each other - be sure to empty first! Or, if it's election season, politicians signboards can be helpful. Desert tanned animal hides could be utilized if they are sufficiently dried - the fresh road kill ones are too soft and squishy!

So...What's your best 'unstuck' stuff you've used?

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
...what's the wildest kind of stuff you've see thrown under the rear wheels to try to get unstuck?

Many of us have probably used boards torn from a nearby fence, or stalks of corn from the field we've been 'wheelin' through, or maybe plastic Wal-Mart bags we collected from bushes in the area.

In the old days, you could use unfolded cigarette cartons, Burma Shave signs, and grandpa's overalls.

These days, one has to be more creative...like, laying many flattened Tecate cans along side each other - be sure to empty first! Or, if it's election season, politicians signboards can be helpful. Desert tanned animal hides could be utilized if they are sufficiently dried - the fresh road kill ones are too soft and squishy!

I cannot figure out why I am laughing so hard, because that is alot of good info. Cannot type anymore for the tears!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 06:47 AM

I had carpeted a 1972 dodge van and had put carpet in it and pulled it out to get unstuck had to move it 4 or 5 time so never put it back in , so i would recommend a couple or strips of carpet, just lay it on the floor to store it
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray

I have used brush and bushes before and it worked ok in a pinch.

When I worked as a geologist the 2x4 drill rig with duel wheels in the rear always had several rolls of chain-link fencing on board for the soft areas we always had to get to. They were easy to store, 6 feet long and no more than 2 feet wide when fully unrolled, much smaller when rolled up.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 07:14 PM
Maybe not the Wildest, but.............

Many years back, I was out cutting Ocotillo and I had an old trailer built from a pickup truck bed. The tongue of the trailer was slightly bent and it was a "Bear" to back. I made a u-turn on a dirt road and, not wanting to back up, I went slightly off the track and the soil (riddled with Prairie Dog holes) collapsed, burying the truck. after trying rocks, brush, floor mats, etc for a good hour, I took the tailgate off of the trailer and used that. It worked after a fashion, but it would have been a LONG while before I got back onto solid ground. Luckily, a Mexican happened by and I offered him some dinero. He went off and came back with a bunch of friends. They did the job. The downside to that many people, though, was that it cost a lot more than otherwise. At the time, it was well worth it.

I once ran across a guy on the road below Puertecitos who had and older Toyota FJ55 LandCruiser wagon like mine at the time. On his full-length roof rack he had two strips of the Military Surplus steel tracks that they use for roads and landing strips. Worked great according to him.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
When I worked as a geologist the 2x4 drill rig with duel wheels in the rear always had several rolls of chain-link fencing on board for the soft areas we always had to get to. They were easy to store, 6 feet long and no more than 2 feet wide when fully unrolled, much smaller when rolled up.

Ahh... finally someone with experience with chain link!
Question, I had plan to use this, but was not sure if it would not just spin up around your tire. Maybe I have been stuck in mud too often.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 02:41 PM

I still think the expanded metal is best, rolled up chain link takes too much space, two pieces of expanded metal will lay down under most anything, even your slightly overweight mother in law (oops, off topic)
Al, come on up and watch NASCAR- call ahead, we can get some ready for you.
And yes, probably half the race cars built in Northern California have our steel somewhere in them. My partner Don, who runs the place, is really in tight with all the racers.
Ivan Baldwin built every car from our steel, as did Gary Nelson. And lots more.

My best "stuck" story??

Easy! First time we ran the 500 (a really long time ago) someone told us to cut some carpet strips, like 18" x 4' and they would work real well.
So, first time stuck, out came the carpets, got them set in front of the rears, cranked up the big V-8 and spun those babies into little smoking balls of junk!!
Turned out that it was nylon carpeting (how did we know this stuff) and the spinning tires just melted them, like instantly.
YUCK!!!
From then on it was expanded metal - or 'sand mats' as we called them.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 05:52 PM
Hey Bajarunner......

....which of the various permutations of expanded metal in this link would be the most economical, yet suitable for carrying around for getting unstuck?

Not necessarily buying from this outfit....theyjust have a good link.

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=expa...
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 07:37 PM

bajarunner,
Thanks for the invite and boy do I remember Ivan Baldwin. Went to his shop for some parts and advice one season. I had built a car with 3 point suspenion and long trailing arms. First one at 99 speedway. Later I was told, Ted Fritz had them. Ivan convinced me they would never work. Charged me to tell me that too. Later I figured out he was old school and went back to 3 point. I was really low buck, but did well enough to enjoy it.
Hoping someday to see rounder rounds in Baja.
I am more convinced I will use expanded metal. I still want to experiment with lighter weight. I already had these and never realized that they may work. They could be made of nylon so may suffer the same fate as your carpet. 2- 2X5 ft sections weigh 5-6 lb and stack to less then 1 cubic foot or flat 1/2"H X 4'X5'
I was going to carry them anyway for outdoor shower grate and table and chair in the sand. I have a section 10x10' behind my moho now so I don't have walk on gravel. Didn't think of them until you mention "nylon" carpet that lit-up in a ball of fire.

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 07:40 PM

Another shot

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 07:41 PM

One more....smooth side

[Edited on 8-31-2006 by Al G]

Albert G

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 01:38 AM

Just wondering...

Has anyone ever tried using ORANGE SAFETY FENCE?

I always wondered if it would be strong enough and have enough weight and body to drive on and get unstuck. It sure would be lightweight and easy to transport. I know it comes in different patterns, weights and types. They use it to keep back soil and snow, for temporary fencing and on construction projects, so it must be pretty strong. Not too expensive either.

The following web site has a link to fencing and some very interesting products which can be driven on.

http://www.eventdeck.com

AMO
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Just wondering...

I always wondered if it would be strong enough and have enough weight and body to drive on and get unstuck. It sure would be lightweight and easy to transport. I know it comes in different patterns, weights and types. They use it to keep back soil and snow, for temporary fencing and on construction projects, so it must be pretty strong. Not too expensive either.

The following web site has a link to fencing and some very interesting products which can be driven on.

AMO

AMO.....I am familiar with this fence. I am sure it would suffer a worst fate then chain link.
The real question is sand grip. Bajarunner's expand metal is so far the only for sure answer.
My nylon squares that link together may or my not work. I will not know until my next trip and test them. The only reason is for weight. I will tell you this, I will not risk not taking expanded metal. This would be a mute question if the expanded metal only weighed say 10# each, but I don't know.
For most people weight is not an issue maybe, but people with Motorhomes it is a major pitfall. Some people lumber down the road unaware they are almost out of control.

Albert G

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Just wondering...

AMO

AMO.....I am familiar with this fence. I am sure it would suffer a worst fate then chain link.
The real question is sand grip. Bajarunner's expand metal is so far the only for sure answer.
My nylon squares that link together may or my not work. I will not know until my next trip and test them. The only reason is for weight. I will tell you this, I will not risk not taking expanded metal. This would be a mute question if the expanded metal only weighed say 10# each, but I don't know.
For most people weight is not an issue maybe, but people with Motorhomes it is a major pitfall. Some people lumber down the road unaware they are almost out of control.

I wouldn't think 1/4 ft sheets of expanded metal would weigh even 10#.

But I am thinking that they would be come quite misshapen after a few uses as the weight of the tire and the traction creates a slight U-shaped trough in them. Then, they could become problematic for easy storing.

At least the four foot lengths of 2x8 retain their shape. Also, no sharp edges and they arent as prone to scratching surfaces.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 04:30 PM
Expanded metal answer

Hook (and others) sorry for the delay in answering.
I went over to Modesto Steel at noon (I am not very active in the company- except when necessary)
The 9 gauge is sufficient, 12 gauge is more expensive and heavier.
Any size looks like it would work, but the larger the size (which means the space opening in the metal) then the less metal and the less weight and the less expense.
Also, you want the "standard" not the flattened.
The standard will give a better grip for traction.
I looked at a piece of 1 1/2", 9 gauge and that would suit me just fine.
As to the bending out of shape after use...
yeah, we had that problem to a small degree, best solution is to get on level hard ground, turn them over and run over them a few times, they sort of re-shape themselves.
(Plus, if you have to use them and bend them, you are so happy with the result that you don't mind that they are no longer pretty)
If you buy the full piece and shear your own then you will have a rough edge to deal with. We were lazy, and just put a strip of duct tape down the length of the cut, then folded it over and it covered the jagged edge. Obviously, if you use them then you probably have to re-tape.
Hope that helps.
(whew, the more you ask, the smarter I get)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.