Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 05:31 PM
Tropical Storm John

It's early, but this one looks like a good bet to bring some rain.

http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200611...
CaboBrian

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 05:41 PM
ts john

Great, and I'm flying in on the 2nd!! Damn!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 05:59 PM

Brian

It will be exciting!!!!!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
CaboBrian

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 06:08 PM
ts john

lol, i guess so! Does anyone know what happenes in these cases? Do they hold up flights etc.? i'm flying out of sfo to sjd, driving to La Paz for 2 nights and then over to my timeshare in Cabo. I suppose the rain would be welcome with the heat where it is, but has anyone ever road out a bad one down there?

Thanks
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 06:25 PM

Many, if your in La Paz in a Hotel you will have no Power A/C during a Hurricane they shut all power off at the source. The streets will be running rivers then a cascading waterfall onto the Malecon, I don't think any danger just uncomfortable.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 06:32 PM

cabo when you decide to drive to cabo from la pas go to the buss depo
and ask witch way to go then follow the buss if your worried only problem you might have is keeping up
couple years ago i was in cabo and was told this we went by way of todo on the return found out later it was 2 days hold up the other way so the busses know good luck remember memories arnt made by everything went as planned:lol::lol::lol:

jerry and judi
CaboBrian

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 06:40 PM
ts john

Thanks for the tips guys! This probably is a stupid question but, in La Paz, we're staying at the Fiesta Inn which is only supposed to be a couple years old....dont the newer places have stand by generators? In Cabo at Marina Fiesta......remember, I'm a newbie!! ha ha
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 07:30 PM

I hope we finely get one

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 11:53 AM

Rode out the floods of Nov 93 in Cabo, was not a chubasco but a hell of a lot of water. Electricity was off for a week or so but water was off for nearly 4 months. Roads were inpassable for a day or two but Mexican ingenuity got them open quickly. Fresh food was an issue for several weeks. The few hurricanes I have seen in Cabo have done little damage except to the beach, signs and Satellite dishes. Also the event in 93 washed several vehicles into the marina and every boat without a bilge pump working off a battery was at the bottom of the marina. Checking with the bus company is a good idea if you notice any rain at all in the mountains. Many of the worst washes between LAP and the Cape have been reengineered but may still be inpassable with a good rainfall in the montanas.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 12:32 PM

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by JZ]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 01:32 PM
Hurricane John

My contractor is out right now getting materials to shutter the windows in our new building. I do not like the looks of this one at all. Please dont wish for rain because I fear there will be a lot of wind associated with any rain we get. This has the potential of being a category 3, minimum, when it approaches us and I dont like that sound of that in the least.
Looks like friday will tell the tale. I sure hope that the one model(GFDL) that has the storm coming up the Sea of Cortez is not correct.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 02:03 PM

Good luck to those of you in the south. Be safe!

Diane

aliibike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 02:16 PM

Hola Judy! I'm close to Los Frailes and wishing for the same as you! Just got back with some more plywood. What is the address of that site on your post? Would be nice to see those "models".
Rick
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 02:18 PM

A category 3 in the Sea of Cortez will bring a lot more than rain. The wind will rip roofs off, roll trailers and anything that's not tied down's gonna be gone. The destruction will be unbelievable. The storm surge will be in excess of 10 feet. It will be a nightmare. Have been thru several hurricanes down along the US gulf coast. Don't underestimate the power of a cat 3 hurricane.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 02:20 PM

The 5 day forcasts for Ernesto were about 1000 miles off. It went east of the first predicted track. While forcasting these things has gotten better, it's not an exact science....
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Hola Judy! I'm close to Los Frailes and wishing for the same as you! Just got back with some more plywood. What is the address of that site on your post? Would be nice to see those "models".

looks like what's on www.bajainsider.com

go to weather and click on the red "hurricane john"

movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:00 PM

Doesn't look so good on the Pacific side, either:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by movinguy]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:20 PM

Actually that came from
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

John is already a cat 3 hurricane
http://hurricane.terrapin.com/

And yes a cat 4 hurricane coming up the Sea of Cortez would be a nightmare beyond belief.

All we can do is read the information available and make our decisions. I tend to err on the side of caution. I have been through at least 10 hurricanes/typhoons. I was in St Croix on a boat for Dave and Frederick. I was in Key West for Andrew. I was in Manila for typhoon Ruby. Just to name a few that you would recognize. Anything that you do in advance, you will never regret. Running around in the middle of the night trying to secure things is not fun. And they always hit at night.:no:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:27 PM

Brian, before you leave go to the nearest international trade bank in your town, buy some pesos. When Cabo power goes down the ATMs don't work, the banks can't get money, you got problems. One really bad one here the banks were open but No Cash Transactions -- they finally brought money in by sea. Didn't make a lot of difference, by then there was nothin to buy.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:35 PM

Thats good advice Seahawk.
We have 6 garrofones of water. We will top off all our vehicles. Propane is being delivered tomorrow. My freezer has enough to last a week and we will be eating it fast although we have a generator(which I have to start and make sure all is well there) we will run to keep it frozen. We also have 3 bags of ice for cold beer. Think about candles and flashlights. I always fill up anything that will hold water for flushing in case our tenaca runs out. We always lose city water because the pumps are in the arroyo and it will be flooded.
Who knows maybe John will take a left and be gone. I am a firm believer in better safe than sorry.:dudette:

Pages:  1    3  ..  27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.