Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road conditions
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 10:52 PM
Road conditions

Does anyone know if the road from the airport in san jose to Rancho Leonero is passable at this point or might be by tuesday? Also, for a newbie, what supplies would you bring in two duffle bags on a plane to get a start on a home with no roof. What are the most important things you would bring at this time?
1. water
2. $$$
3. Tent
4. ?
5. ?
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 12:50 PM

Second hand report

I heard that Gary from Rancho Leonero made it from the airport in San Jose to Rancho Leonero. Im not sure what kind of vehicle he had but heard he made the trip.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 01:06 PM

Mosquito netting and bug spray/lotion, absolute number one items for anyones list going into the area, Then cash, after that basic toiletries, common over the counter medicines and any perscription medications, 5 or 6 bic lighters, rechargable batteries with a small solar charger for them, wind up rechargable flashlights, bottle of good tequila

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 01:14 PM

I forgot to add chlorine bleach for hygiene and possible water treating...16 drops of household beach to one gallon, don't use scented or with additional cleaners. wait 5 - 10 min before using.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 01:24 PM

Good advice Bajabus. Bajabus must have been thru this before.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 01:43 PM

try googling max mattia and hurricane Katrina or tecnicamattia and hurricane Katrina or bajabus and hurricane Juliette. I know my sig line puts some folks off but in times of need I can assure everyone that partisanship does not enter into the equation.

I arrived in Slidell 2 days after Katrina hit where I spent 4 of the most heart wrenching weeks of my life. I learned a lot there about the human spirit, survival and the important role good information plays in situations like this.....it can cut down on a lot of frustration and sometimes literally save lives.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 01:44 PM

And tarps and rope, they may be sold out.
Maybe something to cook on ?
Or some dried foods ? Fruits, nuts, jerky.... powdered drinks... ?
Water filter ? (Tastes better than chlorine)
You may still need the chlorine for disinfection.
Good luck !
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 01:57 PM

excellent additions Diver. I don't personally trust the water filters alone, improper maint on them can sometimes screw you up and maintenance in a disaster situation can sometimes be difficult. I once drank water from a cistern with some dead birds and various other vermin after filtering it and disinfecting with bleach....I did up the drops just to be sure..:-) it was the only water around in waveland LA at my location and I did not feel like going out driving that night to search for potable water. it seemed the lesser of two risky options.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 02:43 PM

I just got confirmation that gas trucks and other vehicles are now moving between La Paz and SJD via highway 19.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.