Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: Helping Storm Victims
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I could be wrong but I tried to do a search in Nomads and received an error message not allowing a search. Is this a temporary thang?

It would seem that many would like to search for loved ones' names. Especially since this site has been a focal point for info out of Mulege.

Is there a fix for that anytime soon Doug?
Corky, in an effort at the moment to streamline the resources this site is using on the server I disabled the search function on an interim basis.

I fired up a new server and hope to have the forums part of the site loaded to that machine a.s.a.p. - hopefully by the morning.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 01:23 AM
high speed

good job, the forum is much faster now than last night.
Johnny
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 02:51 AM
"The Fire Dept asks for sturdy ROPES."

Hi again, I've written a letter to try to drum up some donations. If you have any time to forward it to anyone you can think of, ie: big stores, businesses, churches, rich people :), etc... Please feel free to edit, copy, repair, steal, or otherwise use it for the greater good of Baja. I'm going for Home Depot, Lowe's, Teva, mosquito magnet, and smart and final. Let me know who you sent it to so as to not copy each other. Thanks again.

Dear Local Business or Organization,
You may have heard about the devestation that Hurricane John caused in Baja. Please excuse the form letter. I am trying to reach as many people as possible.

Can your business please make a donation to help with the relief efforts currently underway.

Here is a link to some recent photos of Mulege, Baja California. Much of the town was under 10 or more feet of water.: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8h3gwjn.1k6tnnlf&x=0...

Would your business be able to make a contribution? If so let me know what you can give and I will direct you to the organization most able to accept and distribute your donation. I can assure you that you will get confirmation that your gift was received by those who needed it most.

Items currently needed most are:
strong ropes per the fire departments
shoes (particularly river-sandals) and flip- flops and kids shoes
shovels- flat-nose or scoop-type (snow) , & other clean-up implements
bandages & antiseptic
DEET type mosquito repellent
clothing- adults and (most important) children
school supplies
personal hygiene supplies
mosquito netting
cooking equipment
FOOD
water filtration
portable sand/gravel separator
bleach and water purifiers
Tylenol (this will be needed for the mosquito-borne fever, for which other more stomach-irritating fever relief (like aspirin or ibuprophen) will aggravate associated problems)
gas cards for volunteers
cell phones that work in baja
computer help for websites
4x4 vehicles and ATVs
just about anything else.

Here are some quotes:
"WE really could use more VEHICLES to assist in getting supplies across the border"

"Again, the need is water, canned food, flip-flop shoes, and clothes. Medical supplies are also needed."

"The Fire Dept asks for sturdy ROPES."

bedding/Camping Cots/Air Mattresses
Clothing - tho Bruce says for the children we know all sizes are needed - he pointed out that cooler weather is coming.
Shoes/Sneakers
Cooking equipment - Camping Stoves/Pots/Pans/BBQ Utensils
Canned Good/Can Openers"

I thank you so much for reading this. Please forward it to anyone you think might be interested.
Sincerely, April Johnson (760) 755-7035 aprilpickins@yahoo.com
(just a mom in San Diego, concerned about some of my favorite places I've never been to.)
Links:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bajarelief/ (my page)
http://forums.bajanomad.com/ (lots of info)
http://www.bajaquest.com/hurricanejohn/ ( donate money)
http://mulege.net/forum/ (more info)
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 03:47 AM

God Bless all of You People!!!

There are many out there they would like to Help, that are Physically unable to do so.
Recently I placed many of my "Ole Baja Books" for Sale including an Original "Log of The Sea of Cortez" 1968 Edition along with several of Arnold Senteriff's Baja Airguides/
I will resubmit and sell with ALL the Proceeds going to the Victums of Juan and especially the Poor Mountain People.
Anyone can email me at Sonrisa1821@sbcglobal.net or Call 806-6221821 for the complete Listing and Prices/offers, that way will not Clog up this Great Board.
Anyone going down by Air, remember you can get an old Suitcase and fill it with Clothes -I extra suitcase will usually get through Customs.
I am also working on a large amount of clothing from a Church in Dos Palos Calif{about 15 miles off of Interstate 5 near Santa Nella Calif. and Hwy 152.
Will need some one to go by and pick them up.

Thanks Doug and everyone!!
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 01:18 PM

Hi everyone. Havine been raised in Hurricane central I want to pass along some ideas to help.

1st. there are a few ways to deal with the standing water that breeds mosquitoes. First you can pour about one cup of bleach into each puddle that is around your home. This will HELP to kill them as they land, and try to lay eggs, or what not.

2nd. Look for water standing in buckets, and also in trash. Dump it. If you can not dump it, and can not slosh it out, you can add bleach to it, or Carosien to it. But only do that as a last resort.

3rd. And this will stop what is currently in the puddles but not prevent more. Pour boiling water into it.

4th. You can add salt water to the puddles. As strange as that may sound, if the salinity is high enough, the bugs will die.

As for bringing things across the border. Bring what you need, and what is allowed. And then sacrafice some of your for a friend or neighbor that does not have.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 01:32 PM

Skeet or Sharks...I got a reply from a gal who owns a netting company that will donate some goods. I don't have a clue who she should send it to though....I'm sending her a link to Bajanomad so she can see the devastation as she liked my idea of the netting donation and maybe some coats with imperfections or just whatever...everything counts!

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
fishnbaja1

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 02:24 PM
Mulege relief

I will be going to Mulege in 2 to 3 weeks. I work in UCLA med center, so I'll ask if they can contribute any medican supplies.
Does anybody know if it would be better to buy supplies south of the border as opposed to north of it? I want to bring pens, pencils, along with other items I saw listed in one of the posts. I'm concerned about costumes.

Thanks
fishnbaja1

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 02:26 PM
Baja relief

I meant costums as in aduana.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 06:48 PM

My suggestion:At least take a couple of Suitcases through at Tecate/Tj. I think it is worth the time to go through Tecate. Stop at Ensenada and get your SuppliesI have found that the CalMax store is good for Food Stuffs.
I have always bought Mexicano first. If you are in La Paz there are many locations.
It is suggested that you can take several Gallons of Bleach from anywhere as well as Hammers and Nails, Duct Tape etc. with out any trouble.
The Clothes for the Children will be the number one Item as Winter will be coming and the Kids in the Mountains may not have any thing Warm

God bless you all for being so Caring.

Skeet/Loreto
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 08:11 PM

There is a Costco in Ensenada w/Costco prices. IIWM, I'd buy in Ensenada and avoid the aduana question altogether. There are also a buncha pharmacias along highway 1 thru Endenada & Maneadero just south, even some the size of small Walgreens, tho they don't sell the variety of stuff that a U.S. pharmacy does. They do have bandages & antiseptic & Tylenol...

I tried the "embark" brand of "Hand Pressed Compression Bag" substitutes for Space Bags, sold in the luggage department at Target. They're cheap, and easy to use. Although I repudiated the instructions and used a vacuum to suck the air out; pound on the contents while vacuuming for best results. They are very durable, clear so you can see what's inside, and a pile of T-shirts weighs like a brick when fully compressed. You can also write the contents on them w/a permanent marker for easier ID for distribution. I'm writing in both English & espanol what's inside.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 08:22 PM

Donations keep rolling in. I see the ICF fund is up to $15.8K:
http://www.icf-xchange.org/graphics/plug?p=campaign_display&...

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 06:45 AM

Mike,

Our Rotary District Interact (High School) Clubs are working on a project to provide school supplies (backpacks, paper, pencils etc). Originally planned for Cabo, we are tending now towards Mulege. I've been in contact w/Rotarians in Mulege and area. It appears that you have background that could help us in the purchase and distribution which we sorely need since it is too much stuff for me to fly in. Please reply to me via email martins at sisqtel dot net if you can be of assistance.

kevin
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 10:05 AM

There is a web page onsite in Mulege operated by the local computer guru, Hugo Martinez.
http://www.bahiasdebaja.com with a disaster page link. They are updating daily with news, status and videos.

www.bahiasdebaja.com/huracan/john.asp

also includes donation info on a Local MULEGE existing 501c3 MExican NGO that has worked in Mulege for several years YO SOY MULEGE, A.C. - no need to pass through funds. They are local.

Also, checked with TSA (Transportation Safety Admin) If you are flying commercial, REPELLANT MAY NOT BE ALLOWED in checked luggage. Specific prohibitions against certain insecticides (eg RAID), but may also be interpreted locally as ANY repellant. Better maybe to truck it in.
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 10:16 AM

One note re ICF. They HAVE been involved in local projects for some time, in cooperation particularly Yo Soy Mulege, A.C. Their normal cut is 30%!

However, I understand that they have WAIVED that for this situation.

Note also, though, that the pass through is via the Santa Rosalia Sister Cities program with Manhattan Beach, CA. If Manhattan Beach is administering the funds, their sister city is Santa Rosalia, not Mulege. Might be good to confirm how it's going to be distributed and where.
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 10:23 AM

NOte for people driving down- Bring power sprayers. One good way to remove residual mud, after the bulk has been shoveled out.
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 10:31 AM

comments on needs - ongoing

In observing disasters before, there is a changing cycle of priorities.
1-immediate- rescue & recovery;
2-sustainability of survivors - food, water, shelter;
3-equilibrium- utilities and other services back on, regular access of supplies etc;
4-secondary effects - dengue, pollution of water supplies, animal carcases, cleanup to prevent the results of the first disaster from creating a second;
5-reconstruction - repairing the infrastructures to get back to a sustainable economy

Many of the immediate and sustainability issues are being addressed. The process of equilibrium is beginning to happen now, a week later. Biggest issue now is assessment of what is needed to get back to normal.

There are people without houses. People who worked for people who lost houses now have no income. Encouragement of "2nd homers" to return and manage the disposition of their effects and property. IF the empty ruined houses are not dealt with, it will look like a ghost town for a long time, discouraging subsequent tourism and contributing to disease and destruction - a continuing blight.
Reinvestment is needed. Relocation of families outside the flood zone, and creation of a new residential area(s) nearby. Municipal water electric and other services are there. The tourist economy - boating and fishing and beautiful beaches is still there. But it needs to be rebuilt.

Otherwise you have mini Katrina - 1/3 the population gone with derelict buildings all over.
Part of this is govt... Part, most probably, will have to be private. The Chinese say crisis=opportunity. Well this is a test of that. We need some visionaries to look past the current devastation and see what it could be - as good as before and better, working with the Federal, BCS, and municipal government, plus the foreign tourist community, to create a new Mulege that will offer all the prior advantages and become even better. It won't be easy nor will it be short term. BUt it needs to start now.
We need to immediately begin to work with potential developers to create new residential and commercial development and proivide construction and mortgage financing for builders, buyers and investors. Actively looking for developers with viable projects to lend the money to begin the reconstruction, and create construction jobs in the process.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 06:27 PM

the fire Dept. says they Have more clothing than they know what to do with.

they need bedding, plastic tarps, disposable plats, cups and spoons. , tents and things to set up temp housing Propane stoves and camping type gear.

also it would be a good time to get rid of those old propane tanks that don't work in the US anymore.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 09:42 PM

Bruce, I'll be heading down in a couple of weeks. I'll call you to find out what you think I should bring. Give my love to Edith. Your doing a great job. I'm proud of you. Just remembered that I lost Corky's sauce. Damm...

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Johnny
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 10:52 PM
customs

I spoke with the Secretary of tourism, in TJ. He said canned food is always fine, any other donations, if declared, would surely be waived through. Just make sure you declare what you are bringing and don't bring guns or drugs. Good luck.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 01:44 PM

Besides short term support and relief efforts - which have been GREAT - what are likely to be the needs over the next few months, or for the next year or so?

I'm thinking about a way to continue with a fundraising effort here on the BajaNomad site (possibly minor), but would want it to be for real need/benefit specific to supporting recovery from the storm.

What would be of real benefit for any further funds that could be raised over the next few weeks/months?

Contact me privately if necessary - even to tell me you question this decision.

Thanks,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.