Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  10
Author: Subject: mulege status - just got this
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

sad.gif posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:34 AM
mulege status - just got this

Howdy Cliff Thought maybe you would want this info. We received it from one of our morning hamsters who happens to live over in El Burro Cove and keeps a close watch on weather stuff and what's going on in the neighborhoods. Don't sound good
Hurricane John came up the Baja Peninsula Saturday night to within 25 miles west of the Bahia Concepcion and Mulege. By the time it arrived here the winds were only about 40 knots. However at the beach and in Mulege we had over 20 inches of rain overnight.
I have personally checked El Burro and Santispac and talked to people at El Coyote and Pt Arena. There is only minor damage to a few palapas and boat shades. had some damage to his boat shade. had some rock damage to his fire pit and a local trimarine came shore at el burro. To the best of my knowledge at this time that was the extent of the problems on the beaches.
Mulege Baja Sur Mexico. MAJOR FLOOD DISASTER. At 4am early Sunday morning people in homes next to the river only had time to put on shoes and run for their lives. The Mulege valley, Down town Mulege, and all the trailer parks along the river became completely flooded. From the main street in town to Mex 1 on the south side of town it was a raging wall of water. Reference points were difficult because you could only see an occasional roof. The water ran over the road just north of town, Isolating the north and south parts of town.
I talked to an American couple that swam to their Mexican neighbors to wake them, then together they swam for high ground. The water was up to the top of the doors of the houses within a short period of time. When I drove to town at 10am there were still rescue operations going on.
To the best of my knowledge there was no loss of life, however there was some people missing when I left town at 2pm.
I think it would be accurate to say that anyone who had property on or near the Mulege river has major damage. Looking out where Jorge's Trailer park was, it is hard to even find a landmark. At 10am , the water was still high and flowing very fast. The real damage will be evident when the water recedes.
I talked with Bart (Jungle Jim's). Their house is several blocks from the river and he said the water in their house was up to the eves. Bart said he could not even see his restauant which was over next to the river. As we talked we saw a large camper floating down the river.
The power will be out for at least a week. That mean no gas. No power and no gas to run the generators to keep food from spoiling in the stores as well as in the homes that were not destroyed. No gas to run the heavy equipment that will be needed to just clean the mud out of town. I am venturing a guess that the military will be needed to get water supplied because the pumps that supply the water to town are still underwater.
It was incredibly sad to see friends that had no idea where they were going to go or do or even sleep that night. A lot were hanging out in The Palapa Restaurant south of town. Most were wet. Lots of tears. Their only possessions were the clothes they were wearing. And worst of all as people were returning to their home late yesterday the found the looters had already been there.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:36 AM
Mulege Marv and others

President Fox was in CSL yesterday .. that is why lots of internet/cell/tele service communications was scrambled .. today too ...

We are sending urgent messages to government asking/pleading/suggesting/requesting helicopter supplies if possible ..

Wish we could do more immediate response to get you and all what is needed ..

T&L
quefaistu

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:54 AM
What can we do?

thanks for the infomation. We have a Rotary group ready and waiting to bring supplies or help out any way we can. What do the people need? Second question is how can we get there? There is not sufficient news here on the status of Hwy 1. Any news on the airstrip at PC or Palo Verde? Any need for medical supplies? Our prayers are with all our friends in Mulege. If anyone has any information how we can help, please post or e-mail me directly.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:07 PM

Even if the airstrip at Palo Verde is open, you will not at this time be able to get from there to Mulege. I talked to a friend in Ejido San Lucas this mornin and he can not even get to San Bruno at this point with 4x4. I am sure that things will open up pretty quickly but my best guess at this point is that the road is impassable. Friends at San Bruno could not get anywhere south and Antonio who owned most of the property at San Bruno could not get to Mulege at this time. Will advise if I hear anything else.
airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:51 PM

I've heard ( but never flew into) of a paved runway at Santa Rosillia? If that's open; people flying down could drop off supplies there. I heard the road is passable from Santa Rosilia to Mulege.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 01:07 PM
quifaistu

Send me a PM-- I'm with the Rotary club of Washington, DC and we may be able to help-- Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:02 PM
UNCONFIRMED Deaths in Mulege

I just received a e-mail from a trusted friend in Oregon who has been communicating with a friend at Coyote on the Bahia. That person is reporting 3 confirmed dead. Two gringos and a Mexicano. The rest of her story matches what we've been getting. She reports seeing trailers floating into the ocean Sunday afternoon.

Let's hope it is an unfortunate rumor. They seem to ALWAYS happen at a time like this.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:36 PM

AirMech - that's San bruner/palos verdes - the one Jim is talking about this thread (pescador)

he's right, even if you landed there you couldn't get to mulege by hiway yet.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:39 PM
Anybody hear from Pompano

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:41 PM
mulege

sorry i havent been able to post any news, i have been to busy helping people less fortunate than myself. lets go back, friday the storm got downsized to a "tropical storm" everyone kinda let their gard down. on saturday the rain started, no big deal, tropical storm, right ? saturday morning 3:00 am i looked at the river for about the hundrenth time, got up at 3:30 the river had risen to my front door, about 25 feet of water going very fast. the bottom line is mulege has been devistated, all the river homes are badly damaged or destroyed. 99% of the people on the river have lost everything, some even their lives. everyone is pulling togather here but i dont know if its enough, the devistation is unbelivable. jorges park is gone, orchard & oasis badly damaged, villa marias, badly damaged, cuesta real badly damaged, the river has recieded now and left tons of mud and debris behind, we are all just trying to dig out now, with no water, no electricty, and alot, more later.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by mulege marv]

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by mulege marv]

Want what you have
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:43 PM
rumor

no its not a rumor, unfortunalty, one was buried today.

Want what you have
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:45 PM

May the Good Lord protect you All!!

Does anyone know if the Strip up by the Hotel Mulege can still be used?

Has anyone seen Saul. Would appreciate any Info.

I have a Truck and Trailer that I could load up and come across the Ferry.

This is the time for the Baja Bush Pilots to Step Up to the Plate and help their Friends. I wish I were still able to Fly I would be there making a Survey from the Air and reporting the conditions.
The major Problem will be getting Aid to the People and The Aircraft and Knowledge of the Baja Bush Pilots and the Good Samritans would be a Major Key at this time.
Is the Airstript at the Serinidad Open?
Any Reports on the Road North out of Sta Rosalilla?

Thanks for all the good reporting of this disaster. Let us all know How we can Help and by Aircraft/Vehicle???

Someone has to get the information as to the conditions of the Roads.

Hang in there !!

Skeet
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:45 PM
supplies

you get them that far i will pick them up !

Want what you have
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:46 PM

Marv - this is unbelievable! can you say when the road from San Bruno to mulege will be passable? and advise on landing at Palo Verdes, condition at Palo verdes etc?
BBP is working on relief flights.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:47 PM
airport

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
May the Good Lord protect you All!!

Does anyone know if the Strip up by the Hotel Mulege can still be used?

Has anyone seen Saul. Would appreciate any Info.

I have a Truck and Trailer that I could load up and come across the Ferry.

This is the time for the Baja Bush Pilots to Step Up to the Plate and help their Friends. I wish I were still able to Fly I would be there making a Survey from the Air and reporting the conditions.
The major Problem will be getting Aid to the People and The Aircraft and Knowledge of the Baja Bush Pilots and the Good Samritans would be a Major Key at this time.
Is the Airstript at the Serinidad Open?
Any Reports on the Road North out of Sta Rosalilla?

Thanks for all the good reporting of this disaster. Let us all know How we can Help and by Aircraft/Vehicle???

Someone has to get the information as to the conditions of the Roads.

Hang in there !!

Skeet

I was up there looking around Skeet. It's not usable until a grader or cat fills many ruts.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:55 PM
i will check

mike we have been cut off from everthing, i have the only computer up in mulege as far as i know, thanks to satillite, & generator. i dont know about palo verdes i will try to find out.

Want what you have
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:56 PM

Capt.Mike; Can you get someone down there that can fly over and Land and get back a real good Report on the Road conditions? The condition of the People in the Mountains above Mulege and the Road coming down into Sta Rosalilla:

It will be difficult getting Help from the South as Loreto was Hit Hard and Roads North of Loreto will be impassable. Someone needs to get this information North so plans can be made to get releif via Road, Air, Ferry from Guyamaus!!

Please let me know if I can help and How and What.

Skeet
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 03:16 PM

aLL I KNOW FOR SURE is the flying sams are heADED to lopez mateo this fri via guaymas, they can scout from MMGM to Lopez, but won't have the gas/range to cover mulege and won't land there yet, they are staying in guaymas sat, some fri too. lopez runway wwas spared.

The BBP and/or members are talking ABOUT some air support. more as i know sumthing.

Aero medicos i think head to mulege 2nd weekend sept, but cadeje likely is wasted - no landings there and with serenidad strip closed, they might cancel unless they think about san bruno. PC has pretty good drainage, wonder how it faired??

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 03:31 PM

Thanks Sharks:
The Paved Runway at Sta. Rosalilla has always been in pretty good condition except in a 35MPH Crosswind.
Keep us Posted!
I feel very Helpless, sitting here with No Medical, can only Fly in a Pressuried Aircraft.
My heart goes out to All; Keep the Chin Up!!
Sket
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 03:33 PM

From the other post, re: Mulege',
Looks like your place probably made it, Sharks.

Spoke to Someone on the Phone From Mulege

Okay, I spoke to my mom, Patti Higginbotham, on the satellite phone. She is in Mulege. It was hard to hear, but this is the latest information:

Tom and Patti Higginbotham are fine, although they had to swim out of their house and luckily found a boat to get into.

Jorge's trailer park is completely gone.

The Orchard is mostly standin, but many roofs and windows, etc. gone. 10 feet of water.

The Oasis has major damage, but houses and trailers are there. 10 feet of water.

Jungle Jims and my parent's house - 10 feet of water.

Villa Maria Isabel - 6 - 8 feet of water.

My parents are staying with Marv and Cathy in the houses as you get toward the Serenidad, so they must have had less water there.

The road from Sta. Rosalia to Mulege is open to 4 wheel drive only at this time.

People (including Americans) desperately need something to cook on, clothes, food, fresh water and shoes (Teva type sandals are best). The American Red Cross will not go to Mexico.

I hope this is helpful, and will continue to post as Patti gets me information about what is needed.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by Diver]
 Pages:  1    3  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.