Author: Subject: mulege status - just got this
CortezExplorers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
My problem is, can we bring enough to offset what we would consume? Where would you stay? What would you eat? By the time you get there would relief agencies such as the Mexican military, Rotarians, helicoptors, boats already be in operation.

Well said. Sometimes the best help is to stand back and provide material support to those with field experience in disaster work.

--Larry

Very true, however with some of us need to head down out of concern for loved ones, extracting where needed. If we are going down anyway, it would be great to know what is needed -

Matthew
Cortez Explorers,
Mulege, BCS, Mexico
+52 615 153 0500
http://www.cortez-explorers.com
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 10:49 AM

As far as i can tell, BBP is working on airlift options, have to let that admin run their show, they have good people showing concern. Landing on roads etc not a good idea, have to keep safety at the forefront - don't need to lose others or have an incident. if i could get there now i would but have to wait for now. many good volunteers will get on this i know, like the flying sams and angel flight did for katrina.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 10:55 AM

OK FOLKS latest update from the scene Tuesday 1051 PDT

Soldiers say Palo Verde Airport is OK
The phones in Sta Rosalia are working.
Food, electric also OK in Sta Rosalia
In Mulege, water will not be ready until the electric goes on. They think that will be a WEEK.
MAJOR NEED IS MOSQUITO ABATEMENT - LARGE SCALE AND REPELLENT -DENGUE IS A MAJOR THREAT. VACCINE may be needed afterward.
SOME TELEPHONES ON IN MULEGE - NO REGULAR INTERNET OR CELL SERVICE
rELIEF EFFORTS - BEST EFFORTS is GUAYMAS FERRY to STA Rosalia
Serenidad Airport has major rocks/arroyos as of last report
If you have planes flying in with goods to Palo Verde, you can call Gaby Saul at 615-152-0707 to get some trucks up there to bring back
Yesterday Road to Sta Rosalia took 3 hours
Soldiers are in the area; helicopters are reviewing the area.
CHIVATO area OK - water came from mountains, not the sea
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJAmerican
DENGUE IS A MAJOR THREAT. VACCINE may be needed afterward.

There is no vaccine for dengue. All we can do is help with external preventatives.

From the CDC website:

No dengue vaccine is available. Recently, however, attenuated candidate vaccine viruses have been developed. Efficacy trials in human volunteers have yet to be initiated. Research is also being conducted to develop second-generation recombinant vaccine viruses. Therefore, an effective dengue vaccine for public use will not be available for 5 to 10 years.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:24 AM

American Red Cross Report

I don't see how this really cover the situation in Mulege, but here's what the American REd Cross is saying:

Hurricane John Rips Mulege - 9/5/2006

As we are told and from photos, the river in Mulege crested in the town square of Mulege to the North and within several feet of highway 1 to the South. All of the structures, trailers, etc. along the river were either washed away or were severely damaged. We have no information on the Serenidad, one report was that it was washed away and another that it sustained very little damage.

The report from the Red Cross:

That President Vicente Fox was in Mulege (and other areas) yesterday
That he pledged national support for the area

That the water in Mulege is down to normal level

That the roads to Mulege from the north have been fixed or detours have been made

That trucks will be arriving today with relief supplies

That most structures survived the flood however, most in the river sustained heavy damage

That there is major cleanup to be done

That the government is sending in persons to spray for dengue fever as well as vaccinate all the children

And that although Mulege was hit very hard, the major damage was between Loreto and LaPaz.

We have been attempting to contact persons in Mulege who can confirm this information. If you are in Mulege or have a contact that can be reached in Mulege, they need to contact us at

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:33 AM
Sounds like the Red Cross needs a link to Baja Nomad.

Doug's site seems to be the clearing house to the world about REAL conditions. Thanks to all for what you are doing.

Still hoping for any word on San Nicolas. No known contact since before the rains came. The suspense is not too much fun, but I have nothing to complain about either way.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
jandjbaja

sad.gif posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:35 AM
john

:( THANKS FOR THE INFO. WE ARE ON PUNTA ARENA AND SOUNDS LIKE WE TOOK THE STORM OK. OUR CARETAKER MIGHT BE STRANDED ON THE BEACH. IF YOU CAN WOULD YOU CHECK ON HIM AND HIS WIFE. NACHO ROMO. HIS HOUSE IN TOWN, IS THE GREEN ONE JUST PAST SALU'S TIENDA, THE GREEN ONE. HIS DAUGHTER LIVES THERE. HOPE ALL IS OK WITH THEM. HOW DID THAT PART OF MULEGE FAIR. ALSO HAVE FRIENDS THAT JUST BOUGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM SALU'S. WE HAVE NO INFO ON THAT SIDE OF THE RIVER. THEY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE PLACE WASHED AWAY. ANY INFO ON THESE THINGS WOULD BE HELPFUL

THANKS, JUDY

LOL,J
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:07 PM

I just got off of the phone with Vuelos De Guerro Negro and they indicated that the strip at Palo Verde is OK and they landed there yesterday twice with their twin engine.
I also talked to San Marcos Mike this morning and he indicated that COMSA which is the company at the Gypsum mine on San Marcos Island is heading up a relief effort for Mulege. Details at www.bloodydecks.com
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:10 PM

I'd take lencho's advise. Don't jump into anything you're not prepared for. You might become part of the problem.
jandjbaja

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:16 PM

YOU GYUS ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!! WE HAVE FRIENDS THAT LIVE PAST THE MISSION AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THEY ARE DOING AND IF THEY NEED ANYTHING. I HAVE A PH# IF SOME OF THE PHONES ARE WORKING MAYBE HIS MIGHT BE. CAN ANYONE TRY AND CALL HIM. HIS MANE IS ALFREDO, HE'S DONE A LOT OF WORK IN TOWN, MARI BELLS, OASIS, ETC. HIS PHONE # IS 1530861. THANKS

LOL,J
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:21 PM

Hi Bders ~ I have just returned from a meeting here at Isla San Marcos with the Mining Company COMSA and what to do about all the needs of Mulege to the south. We here have already started a food and clothes drive as well sending assistance. Mulege has been devastated!!! Worst since 1959!! They need any contribution which can be had........ NOT MONEY! but supplies. People on the river and throughout the town have NO WATER or ELECTRICITY
also most have lost everything.

We here at COMSA have come to the aid many times for the better of the Baja Community and are often the first to act in times of need. PLEASE Help US Help Mulege's people.

COMSA has a trucking company and office in Calexico California. We need Clothes~ New/Old Foods~ Dry/Canned Medical Supplies~ Basic Shelter~ Tents/Tarps Electrical Devices~ Flashlights/Batteries/Lanterns

Here is the Addy and I/WE (COMSA) guarantee everything will go were it's needed. PLEASE DON'T SEND MONEY!!

Hurricane John "Mulege Relief"
C.O. COMSA
2421 Portico, Blvd. Suite B
Calexico, CA 92231

Thanks to All!! For Your Help

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:24 PM

Sorry about that, The previous post was from www.bloodydecks.com and was posted by San Marcos Mike from San Marcos Island. Comsa is trying to bring a truck down with relief supplies and will pay for all the gas, they just need things to bring. If you have any questions, you can call Mike at 415-244-8451. They are close and have already started sending things into Mulege.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:08 PM
Ok all you generous Nomads

It's paramount that money be available on the spot in Mulege ASAP.

Plunk down your cash for Mulege. I'll work together with Bruce and some other professionals to get much needed money for Mulege victims. I have access to accounts in Sta. Rosalia which I can use in conjunction with Paypal.

If you can't trust us, who the hell can you trust.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
JaLoTiger

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:10 PM
Mulege disaster

Quote:
Originally posted by mulege marv
sorry i havent been able to post any news, i have been to busy helping people less fortunate than myself. lets go back, friday the storm got downsized to a "tropical storm" everyone kinda let their gard down. on saturday the rain started, no big deal, tropical storm, right ? saturday morning 3:00 am i looked at the river for about the hundrenth time, got up at 3:30 the river had risen to my front door, about 25 feet of water going very fast. the bottom line is mulege has been devistated, all the river homes are badly damaged or destroyed. 99% of the people on the river have lost everything, some even their lives. everyone is pulling togather here but i dont know if its enough, the devistation is unbelivable. jorges park is gone, orchard & oasis badly damaged, villa marias, badly damaged, cuesta real badly damaged, the river has recieded now and left tons of mud and debris behind, we are all just trying to dig out now, with no water, no electricty, and alot, more later.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by mulege marv]

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by mulege marv]
JaLoTiger

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:13 PM

Is anyone thinking of driving down to Mulege? Please let me know because we can either send money, supplies, and/or caravan down together. Lorraine is thinking of going to help with clean up for a very short trip. Our hearts are sick and we want to help but need a coordinator up here on this end to help.

Any suggestions on a Mulege bound coordinated relief effort from the west states?
JaLoTiger

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:15 PM
I'm in

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
It's paramount that money be available on the spot in Mulege ASAP.

Plunk down your cash for Mulege. I'll work together with Bruce and some other professionals to get much needed money for Mulege victims. I have access to accounts in Sta. Rosalia which I can use in conjunction with Paypal.

If you can't trust us, who the hell can you trust.
JaLoTiger

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:17 PM

Give us instructions on username etc. for paypal. I will call all my buddies up here and let them know, if they haven't already read this. Great idea. Thank you!!
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:18 PM

The Rotary Club in Santa Rosaila is also coordinating efforts to get supplies to Mulege. You can contact Julieta Medina Oronoz - she is helping with these efforts. Both she and the Rotary club have accounts that funds can be transferred to. Contact her at the following email:

julietabaja@hotmail.com
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:26 PM
mulege update

the pemex got their generator going today so we have gas anyway, heard the phones are working in town only. the road to santa rosalia is drivable 4 wheel drive. the clean up is tough with no water, no electricity. according to a line hand probably be 20 days before all is restored. its pretty depressing in mulege right now. we are working on it but very slow.

Want what you have
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:32 PM

Thanks for the update. Our prayers are with ya'll.:(
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.