Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10
Author: Subject: mulege status - just got this
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:58 PM

they need every thing from desks Charis black boards dry erase boards.

everything

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 08:22 PM
Bajasharky

check u2u

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 08:37 PM

One thing I have been working on with the local officials is I am really getting concerned about the possibility of Cholera and Danga Hemorrhagic fever getting started here. the Gov has promised to spray the town an vaccinate all the children.

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 08:55 PM
Looking for a school to adopt

Thanks, David K, I am here finally.

I have talked w the local school here in Oregon (rural-250 total kids) and with my help they would like to do something for a school affected by Hurricane John to help. I am thinking that if Comondu or San Javier took hits that school size would be similar to what these kids could relate to (and raise funds for). I will keep in touch with friends in Loreto and I am hoping they hear something soon from the remote ranchos so we can get this project started. ANYONE who might know of teachers/parents in any of these schools who can be contacted-I am all ears!!

Over the past 30 yrs I have done presentations for kids at this school on my Baja trips everything from history and ecology to the crazy stories of riding el camino real w my own boys. I am hoping people can come up w more info as to what schools need.

ANYONE who wants to see about "adopting" a class or school I'd love to hear from you. I want to get this ball rolling!!!! :bounce::bounce:
bajasuenos

Mood: longing always to be floating in Bahia de Concepcion

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:18 PM
Rotario Club info from Julieta

we rec'd this email from Julieta yesterday. Attached is also the Rotary Club bank account info for donations. FYI. We are headed down in early October from the Bay Area if anyone wants to contact us to bring down supplies &/or donations. We've got a truck. We live in Petaluma CA. God bless~take good care! Susan & Jim Ravina

Dear Friends....

As you probably already know Hurrican John has hit Baja, Mulege town was the one who got hurt the most, there is a HUGE NEED for water, food, clothes, medicine, etc. My self in coordination with the Rotary Club in Santa Rosalia are trying to raise some funds, we are asking you for you cooperaton to help this community they are with out water, electricity totally incomunicated, most the families (Mexican and Amercans) lost what they had...

I am enclosing the rotary club bank account informaton (pesos account) and my dollars account as well, any help you can provide the community of Mulege will be VERY VERY GREATFUL, unfortunatelly wire transfers are expensive 30 dlls on your side and 20 on the Mexican account, perhaps if you make groups and then just make one single transfer will be easier...

We are also helping the very poor comunities up in the mountains who had a lot of damage to and also some people got killed, they also have a big

Of course if you can't send money we will also appreciate supplies... I know some of you have airplanes and could bring goods from the US... I am trying to check which aristrip is available I wil keep you inform.

Beleive me Mulege is totally devasted and AND WE GOT TO HELP...

** If you are going to send money down, please inform me so I can keep track of the funds

Sincerely

Julieta Medina
barnes

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:30 PM

LOOKING FOR MIKE REILLEY-(GOLF COURSE MIKE) AND JOHN GARRISON--BOTH VERY CLOSE TO JUNGLE JIMS--THEIR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS AND ME AND BETTY ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THEM--DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY ARE OK OR NOT--PLEASE POST OR E-MAIL ME AT MYMOLLY55@ISP.COM----

EVERYBODY THERE--THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND THIS FORUM AND ALL INVOLVED---I WILL BE DOWN THERE PROBABLLY NO LATER THAN THE 24TH OF SEPTEMBER FOR A FEW DAYS WITH SOME SUPPLIES--HOPE YOU DON'T NEED THE TYPE OF SUPPLIES-BY THE TIME I GET THERE---MOSQUITO NETTING-DEET-WATER PURIFICTION-WHATEVER

GOD BLESS -OR WHOEVER YOU LIKE--JOE BARNES
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:02 AM

Tonight's update by phone from Mulege 9/6 (confirms post above+)-
~ electricity is on most of downtown
~ water purifier downtown is back online
~ city water also on portion of downtown; water is color of weak tea
~ electric crews working like mad to get more repairs completed
~ south side of river still fending for itself, no water or electric (hard to clean up w/out water)
~ TRUCKS & BUSSES ROLLING ON HWY 1 THIS AFTERNOON, ROAD IS OPEN FROM NORTH!!!!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:18 AM

These dramatic photos just received in an email. There are over 100 photos total - below the email is a sampling of what's in this gallery.

-----------------
Hello,

My brother Martin Alberto took the pics and put them together, so we could distribute and reach out for help.

Regards,
Cristina Miranda de Williams

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8h3gwjn.1k6tnnlf&x=0...

-----------------

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
barnes

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:53 AM
thanks

thank you so much--really happy jungle jims is still there (Barts')

He or we can fix it. My place to and everybodys place--working together--

It will take some time--and a lot of effort--(isn't that what it is all about?)

thenk you--joe barnes--does anybody know if mike -golf course and john-next door neighbor are ok??
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:54 AM
PHOTOS

I just sent them off to BBC (again) and to CNN, the whole lot, together with a report.
I hope that will do something!!!!
REALLY a VERY sad moment to look at the pic's.
LL

[Edited on 7-9-2006 by FARASHA]

barnes

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 01:28 AM

thanks so much for continuing to keep updating the situation there in mulege.

I apologize for any comments or mispellings etc.

My intent is good--as I know all of yours are--the people that are there in Mulege and busting their(you know what) are the important ones--
THANK YOU--FOR ME AND ALL THE ONES THAT ARE NOT THERE AND ALL THE RELATIVES, FRIENDS ETC. THAT ARE SO CONCERNED-thank you--good night-god bless or whoever you want to bless you. barnes,joe
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
Thanks, David K, I am here finally.

I have talked w the local school here in Oregon (rural-250 total kids) and with my help they would like to do something for a school affected by Hurricane John to help. I am thinking that if Comondu or San Javier took hits that school size would be similar to what these kids could relate to (and raise funds for). I will keep in touch with friends in Loreto and I am hoping they hear something soon from the remote ranchos so we can get this project started. ANYONE who might know of teachers/parents in any of these schools who can be contacted-I am all ears!!

Over the past 30 yrs I have done presentations for kids at this school on my Baja trips everything from history and ecology to the crazy stories of riding el camino real w my own boys. I am hoping people can come up w more info as to what schools need.

ANYONE who wants to see about "adopting" a class or school I'd love to hear from you. I want to get this ball rolling!!!! :bounce::bounce:

Glad to see you get back on Baja Bucko!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 10:22 PM
Orchard people>>>

Pam is back in Mulege but will stay in a Motel in town as their casita sustained damage and was emptied out by the force as were many. Pam will update tonight.

Bob is uploading Bruces' video which includes our damaged home and other Orchard views.

Robertos' home was heavily damaged and they are in Sta. Rosalia for the time.

I am taking a list of goods and cash down soon along with tools aplenty.

Seems power is restored here and there along the rio.

Food availability is ok water on,yes, phones ,some.

More later, Corky

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 06:30 AM

thinks have changed allot here in the last 2 days there is not a shortage of food or water anymore. It seem that Mexico is making Mulege there Poster child for Deserter relief and we have so much help right now it is unbelievable. the things that are most needed now are plastic tarps, cots and bedding,

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 06:54 AM

If you are bringing things in for relief. please check with the fire dept. or some one that has been working with the disaster from the start before you start handing out things. there has been much mishandling of this proses here and if you are not careful you will start a riot or could get hurt. the first 100 people in line will be ones that did not suffer any damage. the fire dept. along with us and some others are keeping track of who is in need of what.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I haven't seen any red cross at all here but they are always here in fair weather looking for donations. another note the people from the rehab facility have moor than doubled the number of beggars on the streets but wont lift a finger to help anyone.

up date I saw a truck load of red cross workers driving through town yesterday they were in there clean whit uniforms. I hope they find something to do.

the people at the rehab facility seem to have pulled all of there beggars out after several people told them very firmly that what they were doing was inappropriate.:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 09:51 AM

Baja Buckaroo- As seen in the photos on previous page, the high school in Mulege was up tot heir armpits in water & mud. There is a volunteer crew helping to clean it out but they will need to restock the library, new computers, etc. The flooded-out kids will individually need notebooks, and all the usual school supplies. Some may have lost the uniforms & shoes we purchased for them over the summer (see below). Also, there is a primary school right next door on essentially the same property (haven't seen photos, but the situation has to be the same). If you are interested in adopting either of those schools, contact me at Mike at Fleming dot cc (not dot com). My wife & I are Directors of a scholarship program in Mulege (see www.msspi.org). We have a directors meeting in about 3 hours to strategize. All help is appreciated. And thanks for thinking of these kids.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 12:11 PM

Yes-I will also be meeting w a school rep as soon as I get things firmed up. Can you get me a phone # so that I can talk to you? I am in Oregon. I am still waiting to see if any info has come out of the mtns also but you're on it now and the faster I get this organized w the school here the more enthusiasm we'll get from the kids. I will also try to email you but yr addy looks greek to my computer-illiterate mind! (Now put me on a mule on el camino real somewheres and I will absolutely know what I'm doing!!!!)
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 04:50 PM

I just talked to Julieta this afternoon and she indicates that the small school at Agua Agueda is in dire straits. This is a small school that is also a boarding school for the ranch children who spend the week at school and go home, if possible, on weekends. No one has been able to get to San Jose De Magdelena as of yet to see what their school condition is yet and I have not heard any reports from San Javier.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 06:32 PM

Pescador-Can you please keep me informed on these little schools? Hopefully someone will get info out of the mtns via radio soon.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.