Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9  
Author: Subject: mulege status - just got this
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 06:52 PM

I talked to a store owner in Palo Verde today. He has a radio that he can talk to some ranches and San Jose de Magdelena. Helos have dropped of supplies up there. There is no road.

[Edited on 9-9-2006 by Russ]
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 07:41 PM

I hooked a ride in last MT seat of a 4 seater early tomorrow a.m., planning to land @ Serenidad or Palo Verde. Second plane has 2 bodies & big loada shoes, clothes & a box of bandages & antiseptic donated by pharmacy in Rio Vista, CA. Taking a max payload, then hoofing it to each school in Mulege for a complete survey. Will post the needs and start coordinating efforts for schools on return. I'll be back on line Sunday evening, or Monday morn.
Heard yesterday there was an out of town volunteer crew mucking out the high school.
Then, we've got us a convoy!! Well, small caravan anyway. Linderman from Oasis leading; departure from NorCal is 9/18. Wagons Ho!!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 06:22 AM

Mike, who's flying?? the BBP reports the 1st 2/3rds of runway, south end fully useable now.
they are coning off the north 1/3 not fixed yet.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
quefaistu

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 09:47 AM

Capt. Mike - Jerry McCord is transferred our Rotary aid items to Mulege. He was going to try to land at Serenidad. Do you know if they made it in? I think there were two planes, both Cessnas.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 06:28 PM

the fire Dept. says they Have more clothing than they know what to do with.

they need bedding, plastic tarps, disposable plats, cups and spoons. , tents and things to set up temp housing Propane stoves and camping type gear.

also it would be a good time to get rid of those old propane tanks that don't work in the US anymore.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:12 PM

Spent a week in Mulege yesterday. Observations here are based on On-Foot Survey of 3 schools upriver of bridge, OFS of area around Saul's Tienda, drive thru downtown, drive up ice-house road as far as Internado, OFS @ Jorge's entrance (as tho you identify that) & newish river road by agua-pura @ Jorge's, air passes of town on approach, OFS of Serenidad, and detailed OFS of Oasis from easterly most lots to Jimmie Christopher's, including Leon's vehicle service lot. Strip @ Serenidad is fully repaired & operational. Lot #'s below are Oasis lots.

Picture what is generally known about New Orleans, and subtract lingering standing water. Otherwise equivalent. Much standing water. Mexicans are managing the mosquito problem fairly well so far; no swarming attacks in town. The gringos, however, have a large & growing infestation brewing. Mosquitoes are of the small, persistent, twin engine variety, insistent on their business. Both sides of river have a lingering smell reminiscent of sewage; I suspect some of that is due to sewage coming to the surface of saturated soil, and some is the fragrant putrefaction of organic matter in the mud. I chlorinated & acid-shock treated the swamp @ entry to the Oasis; please do some similar service for mosquitoes in the swamp nearest you.

Fixed Structures: Where water velocity (and therefore momentum) was high, the character of a structure was not important. The block agua-pura by Jorge's is symptomatic- the building was scoured out and hammered apart; no equipment remaining and most walls only partially standing. Where velocity was low, there will be simply inundation & mud, lotsa mud; Linderman's #515 had low to no velocity, no windows broken, but mud line at ~4-5 feet. Scott's #504 rear block wall is knocked down by water velocity, which subsequently blew out the courtyard window, scrambled the contents inside (& deposited lotsa mud), then blew out the streetside window & tried to push as much house contents thru the hole as would fit. Scotts are at the downstream end of a road parallel to the river, so momentum could build up. Scott's other walls withstood the flow; house standing. Insubstantial structures caved unless very well shielded from velocity. Metal sheds anywhere near flowing water are mangled or moved, or Young #18 had two metal sheds that are Missing In Action. Bossley #26 has 2 metal sheds, one rotated off foundation & moved; the other moved & mangled as tho compressed inward. Christopher #55 back wall fell off it's footing as there was no reinforcing connection of wall to footing. Other structures in between in substance vary; schools above the bridge were well built, squarely in flow path, but velocity was low & buildings are intact; there was a tienda on the uphill side of icehouse road that was washed away (velocity low but obviously junk construction, and there are a lot of Mexican homes impacted in this area). The Christian church below the big bridge is MIA; not a slab or footing to be seen. Near the highest velocities there is scouring around footings, and along the south river road there are periodic scoured out holes in the road; one by Serenidad landing strip is ~70' x 20' x 3' deep. Smaller ones along Oasis frontage, & I assume along the whole south river road; a section of the newish south river road near & just east of Jorge's is gone completely for 100 meters. The north river road appeared more intact and had trucks rolling to Loma Azul; only saw it from the plane. The seawall along south side of river is more intact than early reports, tho more recent improvements that were just grouted onto the older, stouter seawall are MIA. Some seawall portions are truly gone. The lighthouse is on an island; river cut a channel to north of lighthouse.

Boats: Most boats are still around, and mostly near where they started. Trailers acted as anchors. Many are not sitting correctly on their trailers. Some have moved a far way; e.g. a boat w/blue tarp that was parked around #518 or 519 is now quite a distance east on other property. If it really floated, like Tussy's kayak, it may hit land near Guaymas shortly. Generally the boats tilted on trailers will have a birdbath of water & mud and will be very well warmed each day to lovingly incubate mosquito larvae; please clean out your boat ASAP. The breather vent for permanent tanks would have allowed mud into gas tank if under water, & tanks will have to be dewatered & cleaned.

Cars: ~1" of mud (3/8" dried) on engines; water in crankcase, transmission, differential thru breather openings; mud inside door panels; mud soaked into upholstery.

House Trailers (incl. both flat-floor & 5th wheel): most floated somewhat so are off their proper jack stands and sloping down by the hitch where the support sank in the mud; only a few are level and where they were parked. A large percentage are tilted as well were one side of the axle sank. Most trailer floors are either cheapest grade of plywood or particleboard (I know Airstream used particleboard) and will retain water unless dried immediately (and immediately may be over already). Lily was kind enough to open her motorhome for a quick peek- 1" of mud on the sofa; humidity about 98%.

House Contents: If it is susceptible to water damage, and it was below water line it will be headed for the landfill. Carpet, soft furniture, mattresses, most wood cabinets, tile counters built on plywood counter top, computers, TVs, etc. will be ruined. Tools are in the process of rusting tight. Refrigerators made with fiberglass insulation will have the organic mud embedded in insulation where it will be very difficult to get clean, assuming the refrigeration can be made to work (which is a decent bet given time & laborious cleaning). Fridges/freezers w/foam insulation will fare better. But EVERYTHING will have mud accumulated on any flat surface. Other equipment will have mud inside in every crack & crevice. Some houses had a lot of velocity inside, scrambling contents; some did not. Most houses have 6-8" of mud.

Water Level Observations: CECYTE got 45 to 74" (classroom floor height varies). Primaria school below CECYTE got 69-83" (the hill w/the Mision de Mulege acted as a constriction backing up water). Internado school on icehouse road had ~48". Estimates on level at the bridge vary from 4-5' below to 3 meters; this may be due to the slope of the bridge which is a slight uphill heading south and differing points of reference. Saul's store had 6" (he's several steps up from street) and Lola Cuesta (Scholarship Administradora) across from Saul's had 4.5'. Estimates in the upper Oasis around lot 100 were 10'; Oasis clubhouse was up to the ceiling; Lots 16 & M1 were about 6' (ground slopes up from clubhouse to rear lots in Oasis); Bill & Judy (southeasterly most Oasis lot) got 4' in the house which is built up about 16"; Lot 516 about 6'. No observations till Serenidad which had water in the courtyard but not in the restaurant or bar, and in some of the lower rooms (not much difference in elevation to the restaurant, so I'd say less than 6" general @ Serenidad).

Electricity: On in town, and now on south of river at least to Oasis. Fire alarms going off in some houses/trailers. FWIW, I recommend disconnecting electricity till your service is flushed out & checked, and all outlets below waterline are replaced.

Water: on in town & rumored to be on south of river within a few days. There will be many leaks where lines are torn up.

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:15 PM

Toured the schools hit by flooding.

The government has the militaria cleaning the schools, headcount is a military secret but inofficial estimate (which I judge reliable by my counts) are 100 personnel. Way to go Fox!!! Also the military or another agency spread lime in various places to kill infections sources & mosquitos.

I have photos, which we will post to the Scholarship website as soon as possible.

CECYTE, the high school, had ~5-6 feet. All perishable contents are destroyed wall to wall, but the buildings are all intact due to substantial construction (which is true of all 3 schools hit).
Perishable = library contents with the exception of a few volumes not killed by mud, all computers including administration, supplies, etc. Easier to list is what's left: student desks are of substantial construction & survived, library shelves are metal & OK. Administration filing cabinets are metal & OK. School trophies were lovingly salvaged & cleaned. Chem/Phisics lab stools and lab tables were also substantial and survived, along w/a durable periodic chart on the wall. Imagine school rooms with desks, occasional white boards, and you have the idea; nothing else on the walls, no shelves of books or materials pertinent to subject matters.

Primaria School next to CECYTE: Ditto water level, ditto condition, except no library survival. This is a small school w/only 3 rooms covering grades 1-6 (FYI- complusory school attendance in Mexico runs thru grade 6). 4 walls & desks remain.

Internado Boarding school for kids from outlying ranchos off icehouse road: This school has 70 kids, grades kindergarten to 6th; kids were home for the weekend, thank God. They sleep in bunk beds. Some clothing had been bagged up & sequestered by the militarios. Lower mattresses were tossed, uppers stacked out of the way for cleaning of rooms. They don't have beds for 70 kids normally, so some double bunk anyway. The Internado is on slightly higher ground than CECYTE (tho opposite side of river), so only 42-48" water. But as a practical matter, that doesn't mean much. Otherwise classrooms are bare except for desks. All contents within reach of the flood, including computers, are heading for the landfill.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Toured the schools hit by flooding.

The government has the militaria cleaning the schools, headcount is a military secret but inofficial estimate (which I judge reliable by my counts) are 100 personnel. Way to go Fox!!! Also the military or another agency spread lime in various places to kill infections sources & mosquitos.

I have photos, which we will post to the Scholarship website as soon as possible.

CECYTE, the high school, had ~5-6 feet. All perishable contents are destroyed wall to wall, but the buildings are all intact due to substantial construction (which is true of all 3 schools hit).
Perishable = library contents with the exception of a few volumes not killed by mud, all computers including administration, supplies, etc. Easier to list is what's left: student desks are of substantial construction & survived, library shelves are metal & OK. Administration filing cabinets are metal & OK. School trophies were lovingly salvaged & cleaned. Chem/Phisics lab stools and lab tables were also substantial and survived, along w/a durable periodic chart on the wall. Imagine school rooms with desks, occasional white boards, and you have the idea; nothing else on the walls, no shelves of books or materials pertinent to subject matters.

Primaria School next to CECYTE: Ditto water level, ditto condition, except no library survival. This is a small school w/only 3 rooms covering grades 1-6 (FYI- complusory school attendance in Mexico runs thru grade 6). 4 walls & desks remain.

Internado Boarding school for kids from outlying ranchos off icehouse road: This school has 70 kids, grades kindergarten to 6th; kids were home for the weekend, thank God. They sleep in bunk beds. Some clothing had been bagged up & sequestered by the militarios. Lower mattresses were tossed, uppers stacked out of the way for cleaning of rooms. They don't have beds for 70 kids normally, so some double bunk anyway. The Internado is on slightly higher ground than CECYTE (tho opposite side of river), so only 42-48" water. But as a practical matter, that doesn't mean much. Otherwise classrooms are bare except for desks. All contents within reach of the flood, including computers, are heading for the landfill.

Mike there were 5 schools hit buy the flood not 3

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 10:40 AM

Bruce- I toured the 3 in the Rio Mulege floodplain upriver from the big bridge. When I asked, school officials told me the Primaria in the vado north of Saul's store and the Secundaria were fine; some mud to clean up from the immediate hilldsides but it was within capacity of local resources. I know the two schools' local geography, and the story sounded reliable. I only had limited time due to donation of the pilot time & aircraft, so I got where and what info I could.

If anybody has better info, please post. Mike

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 11:03 AM

Mike - can you report on the palapa ville inside the serenidad?
power on at serenidad? and to the palapas?

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Garry
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 11:04 AM
Mulege-John Kroeger

Hola, Anyone seen John or Libby, Freinds in Sacramento wonder how they made out, an if there boat is OK????
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 01:36 PM

Garry, is that you, my neighbor?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 01:58 PM

mike you have a damaged awning...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Garry
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 01:59 PM
Name

Hi Mike, I live in Sacramento, an my last name is Morris???? Tried to u2u, but would not let me in??
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 06:28 PM

that's not all that's damaged............you should see my brain!!

it suffers from.....dain brammage.

i can't decide to replace the awning or replace the trailer!!??

maybe i just make it, the trailer, avail to someone who got wiped out in juan, and start over with a new whatever at my little "white castle" in the bowels of that special place i like to call.....palapaville at the serenidad!:lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 08:01 PM

you'd find a buyer FAST now!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Bruce- I toured the 3 in the Rio Mulege floodplain upriver from the big bridge. When I asked, school officials told me the Primaria in the vado north of Saul's store and the Secundaria were fine; some mud to clean up from the immediate hilldsides but it was within capacity of local resources. I know the two schools' local geography, and the story sounded reliable. I only had limited time due to donation of the pilot time & aircraft, so I got where and what info I could.

yes the school north of Soul's was one of the few that did not have problems. we only had five schools with heavy damage.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:

yes the school north of Soul's was one of the few that did not have problems. we only had five schools with heavy damage.

Mike I think you missed the 2 on the other side of the river.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 09:32 AM
Americans & Mexicans EQUALLY eligible for Aid

IMPORTANT :The Mexican Government has a well established disaster response effort in place throughout the country, with the coordination between Federal and local, and the assistance between States, impressive.
Sept 12, 200 stoves were delivered to the town to allow people to begin to become self-sufficient more quickly. Since the disaster, over 900 meals a day are served to residents. These types of relief are available to the American residents as well. It is important to be understood that Mexican services are available EQUALLY to American residents. (Note: these are not available to tourists without property here).
It is not clearly understood by some of the Americans here that there is NO DIFFERENTIATION made between needy recipients. Americans and Mexicans are EQUALLY entitled to government assistance, provided, of course that they are here legally and are registered as required by law, with FM3 and property title or legal rental documents.
There is a lack of info on what the American victims need, and who they are, for that matter. In order to qualify for aid, they must register with the Procurador Lic. Sergio Villareal Nogales 1 block from the Post Office. They must present themselves with whatever papers they have of residency or ownership. This process is extremely important to get an accurate assessment of total needs of the ENTIRE community, to distribute benefits equitably. He will provide written certification of their eligibility as "INDEMNIFICADOS". Without this paper, they are ineligible.
We will try to coordinate translation services for insurance policies. Those whose insurance covers their loss will not receive duplicate government aid ALSO. It is either /or, to allow greater coverage of benefits, and avoid double dipping. The greater likelihood is that Americans have NEITHER insurance, NOR register for available indemnification.
It is not that the Government has an intent of ignoring the American residents needs. These people NEED TO REGISTER as soon as possible. PASS THE WORD.

Also, OFFICIAL Govt info is on http://www.bahiasdebaja.com
Much other info is rumor and not official

There is no separate donation distribution for Americans and Mexicans. ALL clothes etc and other aid goes through the Mulege Fire Department. If you donate to other pass thru channels - individuals, Rotary, etc. make sure the funds go through the established channels.

RESIDENT Americans eating in restaurants - be careful the food is not local origin. Meat, chicken, etc from flood areas can carry SERIOUS disease.

Translation services for insured individuals will be noted on the site above.
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 12:30 PM

Bruce- The schools I know of are:
1) Jardin de Ninos near the Y, on a hill, being used by military for a kitchen
2) large Primaria in vado north of Saul's, heard no damage so I didn't inspect
3) CECYTE, high school, damaged as described above, south of river, west of Mision
4) small Primaria, just east of CECYTE, damaged as described above
5) Internado Jardin/Primaria, north of river on icehouse road, damaged as described above
6) Primaria at Loma Azul, didn't hear anything about it, didn't visit
Can you be more specific on which schools I'm missing? (type of escuela & location, extent of damage if know) Thanks, Mike

Pages:  1  ..  7    9  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.