Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Violence against tourists ---
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 10:54 PM

Grover, would you email me this list the next time I decide to vacation inside of a ghetto surrounded by 8 million people? I'm sure I will need reminding. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 2-24-2007 by Hook]

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Grover, would you email me this list the next time I decide to vacation inside of a ghetto surrounded by 8 million people? I'm sure I will need reminding. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 2-24-2007 by Hook]

Los Angeles seems to be a destination for vacationing tourists from other states and other countries. Has anyone heard of such a thing? With almost 3 shootings per day, it does seem a bit risky.

Not all the areas listed were "ghettos" (using your term). Also not all of LA is a ghetto. Also, there are not 8 million people in LA city. Maybe 3 million is closer to the mark. Hook, were you stretching to make a point?

The point that could be made is that the level of violence against these people in LA is never given much press - practically none. Compare that to the worldwide press given to the geezers attacked on a Costa Rica van during a land excursion off a cruise liner.

Example of hyperbole and exaggeration by the press to sell ads and fish wrap?

This Spring break, starting in a few weeks, will witness thousands of American young adults from colleges going to foreign countries to act in all nature of low class activities all in the name of fun. Here is a prediction...at least one story will appear on this board regarding an unfortunate situation between a university reveler and the Mexican cops or a major injury or a death will be reported. From now until that date, probably 100 people (real living people) will be shot in LA and hundreds more will be the victims of violent crime and nothing will appear in any major newspapers or world news systems.

Hook, do you want to place a wager on the possibility?

No hype, just facts.:no::no::no::no::no::no:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargo
A week late and a buck short but here's my two cents:
The first thread of this post was a guy expressing a thought/question...simple enough you'd think. but true to form, here come the Nomad "sabe todos" jumping all over a guy with their been there done that, I know more than you, high horsed attitudes. I sense no smugness or arrogance except on the part of alot of nomads' replies. Violence is not just viloence. It's vilonece against us in a foreign country that we've come to love enormously....That's scary sh-t bro's And anyone who wants to share a thought on that should be able to do so without the kind hornets nest effect that it brings against you. Sometimes you get the feeling you're intruding on this forum. Maybe a good idea is to have a board rule which mandates a minimum of 20 years Baja experinece before you're allowed to open your mouth on this board.:mad::barf: and finally:(

Bravo Pargo, very accurate response. There are those on the board that act like differing views are only allowed when they differ. If there is a "cartel" in Baja, it is the opinion cartel.

The topic is violence and understanding its apparent uneven distribution.

By the way, I passed the "minimum requirements" 19 years ago.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Also not all of LA is a ghetto.

And not all of Baja is LA Cetto :spingrin:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 01:51 PM

Yes Pargo---- Bravo...Bravo....................Bravo

And Bravo to you as well, Gull, for pointing this out. Who but you would have the time to dive into the anal's of history to retrieve these gems?
Thank you for your concern.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
And Bravo to you as well, Gull, for pointing this out. Who but you would have the time to dive into the anal's of history to retrieve these gems?

On more than one occasion I have offered that "reading is fundamental" to various brain bursts that appear on this board. While I admit to being guilty of over- or under-processing some posts, I have found it is more informative to read the entire string before I consider making additions. It is rewarding when someone provides a perspective that is unique and likely in the minority.

This string recently resurfaced with some of the normal exchanges of not sticking to the subject (like that is something new) and I just read it from the beginning.

I have found that there are Nomads who do not write very much, but they read a lot. It is a pleasure when someone recognizes a good post. There are Nomads who only feel comfortable expressing themselves in this manner on a U2U.

Thank you, Dennis:yes::yes::yes:

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 03:03 PM

yes, I was using hyperbole.

And ,yes, many people will be vacationing in the LA area. Which goes to show that you can fool some of the people all of the time, but we alread knew that.

And yes, I believe there are at least 8 million people surrounding the ghettos that made up the preponderance of shootings that Grover listed, regardless of where a line is drawn between cities.

What I'd really like to see is the per capita rate of violent crime in Baja as opposed to, say, LA county. But I doubt that RELIABLE figures are available from Mexico.

I still think Baja is relatively safe, especially if you avoid the TJ-Ensenada corridor.

But it's getting more dangerous. At least the trend is downward in most areas of the US.

The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
I still think Baja is relatively safe, especially if you avoid the TJ-Ensenada corridor.

But it's getting more dangerous. At least the trend is downward in most areas of the US.

Last time I checked there weren't many options for entering Baja Sur by roads other than something that includes one or both of those cities.

Without the data you want (which you have already decided would be inaccurate) how do you assess that PER CAPITA violence is growing in that area? The fact is: none of us know!! We are only being fed the HYPE that sells fishwrap in the US and none of that is providing accurate and truthful data. We can see the population explosion with the massive building projects. It the denominator is getting bigger...

If as you say violent crime in the US is dropping in some cities, it isn't LA. Both the Mayor and the chief of police had to report the cold hard PER CAPITA facts to the public recently. Wrong trend!!!!

I'll tell you when Baja is most dangerous - Spring Break. You didn't take me up on my prediction...why not?

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
".... Who but you would have the time to dive into the anal's of history to retrieve these gems? "

:lol::lol::lol: Please wash them before sharing!

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 01:44 AM

Sure, I'll take that bet. But you'll lose because the other incidents of violent death in LA WILL be reported by major new systems. The Times diligently reports every incident of violent death in it's coverage area. So does the OC Register and they have the whole basin wrapped up with coverage. IT SELLS PAPERS! So, I dont buy this US coverup theory of yours, to the detriment of Mexico.

If you're talking about simple violent crime then, no, these papers wont report every incident. All instances in Mexico dont get reported either.

We are in agreement that there is no way of knowing the per capita rate of crime in Mexico. I was just stating a desire to know.

And finally, you need to read beyond the political posturing by Villarigosa and Bratton when the cameras are on. They like to hype gang activity lately, especially racially motivated stuff.

Here is a link showing crime statistics from the LAPDs own site. Violent crime, in fact virtually all forms of crime, went down in 2006. The trend has continued for several years....in LA and the nation.

http://www.lapdonline.org/crime_maps_and_compstat/content_ba...

Oh yeah......no police beheadings reported in LA either, unlike Rosarito.

But I guess the Times wouldnt report it anyway, huh?

[Edited on 2-27-2007 by Hook]

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 01:56 AM

HOOK...

The San Diego Union Tribune is full of crime stories every day too, and the TV stations also do stories on the crime. It's seems amazing some days how much crime is reported. And yet, we know that it's not ALL being reported!

Miguelamo :no:
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 02:56 AM

The media LOVES crime and death, AMO. They'll report it every chance they get.

Gawd, just look at this Anna Nicole cluster#$%!

I was a radio reporter for a while and had to make the "blotter" calls to all the local police agencies to see if anything juicy happened. Every day, without fail.

Heard on the news coming home about this headless, handless, footless corpse found somewhere down by Otay in SD......this outta play well in tomorrow papers and TV news. :smug:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 07:18 AM

Jeans ---

I'm glad somebody's paying attention to my sick humor.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Heard on the news coming home about this headless, handless, footless corpse found somewhere down by Otay in SD......

Whoever that was, they should have been a cop in LA and it wouldn't happened.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Heard on the news coming home about this headless, handless, footless corpse found somewhere down by Otay in SD......

This might be an interesting case to follow. Clearly, someone wanted this body to go unidentified for a while. No dental charts, no fingerprints. Kinda sounds like the work of the cartels.

Gull, no hard feelings here, I hope. We are intelligent persons, discussing things that matter to us, right? Predicting crime trends in Mexico is a murky science.......I am only playing hunches.

The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Kinda sounds like the work of the cartels.

Gull, no hard feelings here, I hope. We are intelligent persons, discussing things that matter to us, right?

Can't get offended on this part of the board.

Cartels? Yes, the "opinion cartels" from this board must have off-ed that person over by Otay for using the Tecate-Rosarito 2000 road instead of enjoying the traffic-filled wonderland of TJ. "Let that be a lesson to all Nomads" is the message. Headless and handless would likely slow down some of the unwanted differing opinions on the board.

Saludos Hook

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 02:14 PM

Hey Hook...

I'd love to write more, but gotta run. ...On my way to take a Paternity test for A.N.S. ...

Amo ;D
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Hey Hook...

I'd love to write more, but gotta run. ...On my way to take a Paternity test for A.N.S. ...

Amo ;D

You too, huh? I gave my swab last week.

It's kinda like the lottery........:lol:

The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Hey Hook...

Amo ;D

Study hard.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 04:14 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Good one Gull
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.