Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Support
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:48 PM
Support

Support

A short time ago someone raised the issue of giving used clothing to folks in some of the smaller Baja communities. It stuck in my craw and caused me to chew on the concept for a number of days.

I?ve taken many packages of clothing to our less fortunate friends south of the border. I?ve also donated clothing to Good Will for those of us in need in the States. I can?t imagine anything wrong with giving discards to others that can use them. Whenever I give a package of used items directly to a specific family, I always say ??if you know someone who can use these?? to avoid any possibility of making them feel self-conscious. But when I think about giving it becomes much deeper, especially when we are dealing with a different nationality. We are all unique but confined at least a little by the countries in which we were raised I guess.

So for days I?ve been trying to put the matter of giving hand-me-downs to others into some perspective.

So many of us come from affluent societies. This is obviously not true for everyone. Perhaps it is us that feel we are being condescending. I think most folks appreciate another person offering assistance in a time of need. I think it very much depends on the attitude of the donor, not the recipient.

If I take just my personal life and experiences garnered from other nationalities, I find myself so much richer. People of small rural communities are often the most giving. That has been my experience particularly in Mexico. So many times I?ve been broken down in a remote place only to be helped by a family that lived down the track and has far less in material goods than I do. Many times, stuck again, I?ve been fed by folks with little food. Many folks have bailed me out of various situations (I seem to have more than average!). I have been offered help hundreds of times in Baja when I was in need. I was always thankful for the helping hand and never felt like I was being looked down on.

If I merge these random thoughts with other wonderful things that Baja has to offer, I think it is ME who should be thankful. Our south-of-the-border friends share daily a deep feeling of family, a quiet beachwalk with a loved one, a society and lifestyle that is less demanding than many others, an appreciation for small things?all this I?ve learned first hand from Mexicans: poor, wealthy and in between. While I am unquestionably American there are many things in Mexico that make me feel impoverished; these are just a few.

So, no, I don?t feel bad supporting others who, only in some ways, are in need. We will all be there from time to time. I gain strength personally when I reflect that we are all here for each other.

So now the baton is passed back to us, once again, a small opportunity to help others, not because they?re poor, rather because they have experienced something unexpected. It is our turn, neither the first nor the last, to help others. And once the current crisis is passed, then I can go back to Baja and appreciate all the wonderful, life-fulfilling things I have received from and taught to me by my Mexican friends.

In deed, one of the most important issues I have come to understand is that?there are many forms of giving. Many of them are intangible.

Now I?ve got to see what I can offer up in the form of support.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:55 PM

You'd have made a hell of a carpenter amigo. You seem to always hit the nail right on the head. Semper Fi

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 10:02 PM

Amen ...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 10:32 PM
Mike----Once again you have captured the-----

-----essence of "what it is all about", I am thinking.

Well done, amigo.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 9-6-2006 at 12:23 AM

MIKE - spoken right from the bottom of many peoples heart !!! Nothing to add - except- to encourage others to do the same!! LL

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 12:38 AM
I can feel your message Mike

It makes a lot a of sense. I remember that thread. It perplexed me as well. Whatever you give will be what you have to give. That will be helpful. Good thoughts about our Mexican neighbors and friends. Thanks for the reminder.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 01:20 AM

Bravo Miquel........Bravo.

As always,

Bedman
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 01:45 AM

God Bless you MIke!
With words that explain so well the feelings of those who Love, have loved and still love the Mexican People and their "Way of Life".
Skeet/Loreto
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 02:30 AM

Well said, Mike!

I'm sure that, when the water recedes and roads are navagable, there will be people there branching out to ejidos and finding the needs. I hope someone will organize that.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:51 AM

:yes: well put Mike.

Saludos!

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 08:07 AM

Well said amigo!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 08:52 AM
As usual Mike,

You sent out some provacative thoughts at a good time for them to be chewed on.
I hope to see you and M.A. soon....
BIG HUGS,
M
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 10:24 AM
Thanks to all...

for your kind words. I'll be out of touch for a few days (trip to Idaho) and then back and heading south to Bahia de Los Angeles to see where we can help. Sounds like the vast majority of problems are from Sta. Rosalia south. Let's all do what we can for our southern friends.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.