Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mulege Schools Needs
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:49 PM
Mulege Schools Needs

The Rotary Interact (High School) Clubs in our district want to help the schools as needed. Anyone involved in that aspect please reply to us via email @ webmaster at district5110 dot org or post reply. Thanks

Davie Martin, Interact coordinator
Rotary Club of Scott Valley, CA
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:57 PM

they need every thing from desks Charis black boards dry erase boards.

everything

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 08:00 PM

also the Boarding school out just past the old Ice house lost everything

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 08:01 PM

ok, I was afraid of that; so the schools were wiped out? We have a project going to get school supplies down there and will endeavor to do all we can. I know Mulege is proud of their schools.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:09 PM
Adopt a school

I just posted at Mulege update-have a small rural school here in OR and we are hoping to adopt a school possibly one affected in the mountains ie Comondu or San Javier if they are in need. I have let friends in Loreto know so maybe they will hear something soon from the mtn communities.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 08:17 AM

it seems like the Gov is going to suply almost everything to get the schools going again they are working very fast.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 11:57 AM

also the grad school and the kindergarten were completely gutted in the same area as the high school. and the boarding school on the other side of the river.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 08:23 PM

Sounds hopeful then. We will still want to help the schools but will wait for definite needs after the gov't does their thing.

kevin
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 07:12 AM

Do you think that in November there will still be a need for school items for children. My four kids have been following the devistation in Mulege and want to help the kids there age. If you think that we could help in November, please let me know. I know it is a few months away, but we planned to go down to Mulege at that time, and can't leave any sooner.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 06:33 PM

the fire Dept. says they Have more clothing than they know what to do with.

they need bedding, plastic tarps, disposable plats, cups and spoons. , tents and things to set up temp housing Propane stoves and camping type gear.

also it would be a good time to get rid of those old propane tanks that don't work in the US anymore.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajabeachbabe
Nomad

Mood: Loving life

smile.gif posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:46 PM

I am a newbie on this board but have been following for some time. My husband and I are new buyers in El Bajo in Loreto and followed the path of the hurricane hoping that our property would be spared. Fortunately for us the hurricane didn't do much damage to Loreto, but I am so sad to hear what happened in Mulege.

Our son is taking Spanish in his high school near Seattle and I contacted his teacher to see if the school Spanish Club would be interested in sponsoring the Mulege High School to help provide supplies, books, or whatever is needed. His teacher was very receptive. Please let me know either what is needed or who to contact to make arrangements. Our family is headed to Loreto in early October and would be able to deliver some school supplies, etc.

I think that this one time effort could result in a long term relationship with the school. It is so rewarding to be able to help in a time of need and possibly create a long-lasting exchange relationship. Please let me know if the school in Mulege would be interested and how to contact them. The Spanish teacher who is the leader of the Spanish Club at my son's school is from Mexico so I am sure that she will be able to make things work out.

Thanks and I hope we can help.
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 08:20 PM

bajababe,

my email: martins at sisqtel dot net. my wife (Davie) and i are active with Rotary in helping provide supplies to the schools and have some contacts in Mulege. Keep in touch and maybe we can team up. they need a lot of stuff. :)

kevin
bajabeachbabe
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:14 AM

Thanks. I have sent you an email separately. Hopefully we can provide needed help.

Linda:)
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:29 AM
Me too ! !

As an elementary school counselor in N.Idaho and a property owner in Loreto, I would also like to help. I have a few boxes of school supplies (for elementary aged) students collected already - ready to go.

Is someone planning to go down in the near future that I could ship these to?

It eazes the worry to get involved in helping!

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 02:23 PM

Books that were wet but not destroyed & are now drying out @ CECYTE high school include a partial encyclopedia (books on the lower shelves got ruined). The computer lab (back when there was one) was not available to all at all times, and internet access was limited so on-line encyclopedias are somewhat foreign to these kids. Paper is better, even tho dramatically more cumbersome to transport. and FYI, the library at the big Primaria has not been a very useful resource regardless.

If anybody can scare up Mexican encyclopedias, I will transport however many we get (I hope I live to regret that statement). CECYTE can use up to 3, and the Primarias 1 or 2 each. Ditto w/some grand dictionarias and Mexican history books. The more the merrier. If we get too many (Heaven forbid!!) the town library & Santa Rosalia's library can use them.

Bucko- great idea on that pesky Potter kid's stories and the like. If CS Lewis is translated into espanol, Narnia stuff would be great, as would the Bilbo Bagenstoss stories.

Truth is, the Bibliotecas at the schools and in town have always been puny & not conducive to good introduction to research for the kids of rural Mexico. This is a great time to set them up to a reasonable level. Thanks everybody for any help you can lend. If all goes well we'll need a few more metal shelf sets.

The rumors about destroyed desks & chairs are not true. The desks are substantial metal frame, heavy plywood, formica top brutes we all remember from our school days. They have been cleaned by the military crews assigned to clean the schools, and are neatly arranged or stacked in the rooms once again. Kids can use supplies like notebooks, pencils, etc. (that's been long enough ago I forgot what I packed around; hopefully some teachers here can post a list that would be good to have for each kid, more or less by grade or age group?). The libraries needed help before, and now are essentially non-existent. Marge Larsen of Mulege (last house on river next to Casa Granada) & Roseburg, OR, finished her projects for a library room at the large Primaria & Internado and another to fix up the town "library" which was unrecognizable as such due to roof leaks, all before the flood. Now is a good time to jump-start the stocking of those as well as restock the flooded ones.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 03:02 PM

DJH- If you haven't, you should introduce yourself to the the Dirctor at the Preparatoria in Loreto, Luis Fernando Peralta. He goes by Profe Luis or Profe Peralta. He's a fabulous guy whose life is education of kids. He teaches in the Secundaria on the main drag into town next the Escuela Normal mornings, and runs the Preparatoria in the p.m. ("Prepa," as its known, meets 4:30 to 9 p.m. so if needed the kids can work days to help their familia). Mike

btw- if those boxes of stuff get here on or before Friday, they'll leave for Mulege Monday a.m., see my post on the other BajaNomad thread for address.

bajabeachbabe
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 10:34 PM

EngineerMike,

Thanks for this additonal information. Knowing what is specifically needed is great. I have sent this information on to the teacher who leads the Spanish Club at our school. I am sure that she will be able to help determine what supplies we can obtain to send down to Mulege.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 07:17 AM

The Mexican goverment supplies all the books for their school children from grade 1 to 6 ( Primaria) and grade 7 to 9 (Secondiara.) The books are published by an American publishing company, HoughtonMifflin Company. Since they are text books they are not inexpensive; they are produced to exacting standards to insure durability and a long usage life.

They are idenical in every aspect to the books used in American bilingual classes, who, of course, use books published by HoughtonMifflin Company.

Therefore, it is suggested that Mexican government be allowed to perform is's assigned task of suppling books to it's school children.

The Mexican Government does not supply, or at least I have not seen, the varrious training aids, teacher supplements and teaching syllabus, which due to limited production can and are very expensive, but are certainly needed for effective teacher presentation.

The Mexican students traditionally use 8X11 wire spiral bound books rather that loose leaf books for their assignments.

Therefore, the student can benifit from spiral bound books, pencils, pencil sharpners, rulers, compases, protractors, solar powered calculators, book bags, and other supplies need on a day to day basis .

It is suggested that ball point pens be avoided since the hot Baja climate will generally dry the ink and render them useless at a very rapid rate.

The Jardin de Kinder can always use supplies; craft paper, sizzors, glue, coloring books, crayons (by the case!) TV/VCR with Spanish learning tapes etc .

Walmart, Target et al frequently has an assortment of Spanish coloring books and on occasion primary reading books at a reasonable price.

Good luck!

DM
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 09:57 AM

Here is the scoop as of today, and the wife & I will be loading up to leave on Oct. 6th for delivery to Mulege. Time for action is now.

1) Text books- I was told by a shool official, while touring the damage, there would be no program for textbook replacement. I find that hard to believe, so I've initiated inquiries thru other channels, and until confirmed we'll assume as Bruce posted above, that govt will replace school-provided necessities. I didn't get to see the directors (no time) and in a system where the kids academic records are duplicated electronically in LaPaz (I don't think we do that here in CA), I don't want to start a big push for book replacement and then find out we paralleled official spending. If/when there is official word on this I'll repost.

2) What is needed for certain: individual school kid's supplies won't be replaced by any govt program. We are accepting donations for that right now. You can donate via check, see www.msspi.org, by PayPal (and I'll issue you a receipt) to mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com), or you can donate in kind. If in kind, please either concentrate on in-bulk purchases of workbooks (spiral bound 8x11 lined paper w/perforated edge so a page can be neatly pulled out for turning in an assignement), pencils, colored pencils, scissors (blunt), etc. as would be used by kids in US schools, or buy and fill plastic zippered pouches for use by an individual kid. Best is an individual care package for a particular age kid as those are easiest to distribute. All distributions will be through the cooperation of the offices of Trajadoras Sociales (social workers) at the schools. Deliver in-kind donations by USPS, UPS or other ground delivery to my office at:
Mike Fleming
c/oWestern Planning & Engineering
11860 Kemper Road #3
Auburn, CA 95603

3) Libraries at these schools were always lousy, and are now essentially non-existent. There is a good discussion of library needs on the thread: "Books for the kids, schools etc" here on BajaNomad. Anything you want to donate for the library, send it also. If all goes well, we'll have to make multiple trips. I have 2000 lbs extra cargo capacity in the motorhome we take down in November, so don't worry about weight.

This is a great project for any family or any school class in the US, as most kids (and even some of us foggies) could identify with the possibility our stuff got wiped out in a disaster like New Orleans, which except for the lingering flood water here we are. Thanks in advance for any support you can offer. We are not a big organization, and we know all our regular donors, so anybody new we will recognize as responding to the flood needs and we will direct 100% of your funds accordingly.

There are about 200 familias that got wiped out. That's a buncha kids that need our help. Thanks.

Mike

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 03:40 PM

Just heard on the text books from an independent but well placed source- other schools in the area are filling out disaster replacement vouchers for losses of school stuff. That'll include text books, and hopefully computers. The Internado computers are not government issue, but were donated by Marge Larsen's program to improve Primaria education in Mulege, and Marge (on fire as usual) has already lined up replacements for those.

So items 2 and 3 above are what's needed for the schools right now. Thanks for all who are contributing. Hopefully Lane won't add to the burden.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.