Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 4x4 or 4x2?
windgrrl
Super Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 9-10-2006 at 12:05 PM
4x4 or 4x2?

We are starting to plan for outfitting ourselves for our longer snowbird excursions to Baja in about 3 years. We'll be hauling a 23' trailer (truly ultralight), mountain bikes & windsurfing gear for 2 and our dog, Miss Vida (we promised she could come when we drive down, instead of our 2-week stints). We plan to stay on the East Cape (LB, LV) where we visit now.

We're about to repalce our truck and wonder what are preferred basic options, manufacturers, etc. for the basic trip back and forth (Oct. and March). Are there "nice to haves" for driving around in Baja (e.g. side trips to natural areas). We tend to avoid electronic accessories (windows, keyless entry, etc.) and wonder if a 4x4 is necessary.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 12:21 PM

4x4 necessary? Not unless you need it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 12:24 PM

Wait until the new 2007 Toyota Tundra V-8 is out...worth a look (this is sure going to stir up some comments).

In my opinion, a keyless entry with an alarm function is necessary...... A great security device....just hit alarm in the middle of the night and the horn starts honking and the lights start flashing.

For me a double cab provides extra lockable security, and is a nice spot for the dog (keeps her out of the truck bed and cargo area), and 4x4 is my choice for exploring and pulling that trailer to some nice beach spots. Bikes can go in the cargo area under a lockable shell, or on the back of the trailer, and the windsurfing gear can go on the top of the locking camper shell.:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-10-2006 by bajaguy]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 12:24 PM
4 x 4

A 4 x 4 is a waste until the first time you need it. Then, it is worth a fortune.

I drove Baja for years in my 4 x 2 GMC Pickup, getting stuck rarely and never unable to get myself out, but digging out was a real pain in the Butt. After buying an old Toyota FJ55 4 x 4 and driving the same places I drove my GMC, every big truck I've bought since dating back to 1989 has been a 4 x 4. There probably haven't been a dozen cases since where I had to use that, but each one made me glad I made the decision.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 12:51 PM
Necessary - no; Desirable - yes

I just bought a 4X4 recently and wish I had done it sooner.

The 4X2 is all I need for the 1500 miles to my destination. The 4X4 is only necessary for the last 100 feet. However, that last 100 feet is the most desirable real estate of the entire trip and it's where I want to be. The ability to roll over those dunes to the water's edge is invaluable.

The 4X4 opens up the backcountry to the baja explorer and may soon be the only way to experience the old baja.

On the other hand Mexicans have been traversing the peninsula for years in their 4X2 trucks. You just have to be real smart about your driving: know your vehicle real well and be able to spot the problem areas before you're in them.

So to answer your question, a 4X4 isn't necessary but it will improve the quality of your vacation.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 02:55 PM
4X4

Go for a 4 X 4

I have a 2001 Ford F150 Pickup. It has a super crew cab and a lockable camper shell. It tows my small, 16' toybox trailer.

Pluses:
If you live in snow country like I do, and I believe You do too windgrrl, it is very useful and often necessary. Same in the desert.

Nice ride!

It is big enough and high enough to feel safe(er) than in a jeep.

You can unhook the trailer and explore until your heart's content.

You can carry a big dog like my Shephard/Husky mix ("Paco" habla espanol tambien). He has his own personal suite in the super crew cab and protects the truck and it's contents. (Little do the bad guys know that he would probably lick the skin off their fingers). OK, I'm trying to teach him not to wag his tail.

Minuses

Gas mileage is not great until you unhook the trailer...then it is OK.

If it is new(er) it will become old(er) more quickly (as in beat-up).

Even though it is big, it is no match for a truck that wants your lane....but what is??

If new(er) you have to wash it.

Oh, I almost forgot; another plus: You be stylin' and you could look like this>>>>:cool:
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 04:38 PM

4x4, Diesel, Extracab.

It's a great set up for two with a dog (we travel with two kids and two dogs). One can also rest in the back seat on long drives. Diesel is less money in Baja and the mileage is better. I've also found that they tend not to run as hot either.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 04:58 PM
For my money...

...you just can't go wrong with a Ford!

Get a pick-up with enough capacity to tow your expected trailer weight, plus some safety factor for all your added stuff!

Ford 4x4 P/ups equipped with the 'FX4' package gives you better shocks and skid plates on the underside - great for knocking around on dirt and rock covered back roads.

Get the towing 'package' - bigger radiator, oil cooler, alternator, frame mounted hitch, etc, etc. - all built in from the factory.

Get an interior package that makes you comfortable for all the miles you'll spend behind the wheel - bucket seats (leather's nice), power windows, AC, etc. The 'power' stuff, for the most part in built into most models these days, unless you're getting a stripped version - and the few 'bucks' you'll spend are worth it in the creature comfort they provide!

Ford now offers factory built-in tow hitches, and electronic brake controllers for your trailer, in their heavier models (super-duty).

You can tow a light trailer, no problem with the 5.4 Ltr V8 gas engine (auto transmission!) - opt for the V-10 Gas engine if you need more 'pulling power'...I'd pass on the Diesel engine models - you pay a bunch for the option, they are heavier, and I don't think you'll get back the extra $'s in purchase price in the small savings you experience with slightly better fuel mileage - over the life of the vehicle, IMHO. If you're going to haul around a big, hunka, 5th wheel behind you, then you'll almost 'need' the Diesel - but for lighter stuff, I'd stay with the gas engines.

I've got an old 1989 Ford Bronco that just turned 200K miles...but finally had to install a rebuilt motor, and it's like a 'new' machine again....also, I just picked up a 1999 F-350 Ford Pick-up, extended cab(5.4 ltr gas engine) and loaded it up with a 10 ft Lance Camper...it runs like a 'top', and handles the hills without any problems.

I had a new Chevy 'Z71' 4x4 in the mid 90's, and it was an OK truck back then, but I truly believe that Ford has engineered much more strength and driver-friendly features than General Motors since then- I think Ford's sales also bear that out. Ford's 'Super Duty' models are copied by everyone - even Toyota and Nissan are engineering 'Heavy Duty' versions of their trucks in upcoming models...Chevy's and Dodge's versions are, 'OK', but just IMHO, can't hold a 'candle' to Ford's stuff...I'll get lots of arguments here from other's, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!:spingrin:

To recap, you're going to be spending time in your tow vehicle, so get something that's comfortable for you inside, and 'hefty' enough to handle the loads you want to carry. If you're going to buy 'New', order it with all the goodies you'll need to tow - right from the factory - it will be, in most cases, a more 'trouble free' vehicle.

Enjoy your travels!

[Edited on 9-11-2006 by Mexray]

Small_RV_2.gif - 5kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 05:16 PM

baja guy, whats new for the tundra 2007. i have a 2003 tundra and a 2001 tacoma and looking to trade them in next year for a new truck.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 05:39 PM

Steve, it's a complete, new FULL size pick up... The '05 and later Tacoma got almost as big as the current Tundra. For '07 the Tundra grows up to full size.

Toyota has proved to be of the highest quality to the Baja Nomads who have them...

I am on my second 4WD Tacoma... about 25,000-35,000 miles per year with no problems... Oh, what a feeling! See the Nomad Baja Trip Reports forum or my web site VivaBaja.com for action photos!:tumble:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 07:30 PM
4baja

the new 2007 Tundra is supposed to have a 10,000lb towing capacity, 3 engine choices (6, V-8 - the current model, and a new and a bigger V-8)..............I'm waiting. My local dealer told me maybe December. The double cab in 4x4 looks like a great Baja rig.

[Edited on 9-11-2006 by bajaguy]
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 09:58 PM

DEFINITELY GET 4X4...

As many wrote above, you won't need it all the time. But, when you do, it will be the best investment you've ever made.

I would agree with how good the Ford F series trucks are. They are proven work horses. I have a 2001 F250 Crew Cab (Amo's Big Unit) with the V10 and it's a hauler. But, if I had it all to do over again, I'd go with a diesel for the economy and durability. The Ford Powerstroke is a great engine and very reliable. But, I know many on this forum would argue heavily in favor of the Dodge with the Cummins diesel, as being the best you can get.

Diesel fuel, lately, has been very expensive in the U.S., but in Mexico it is cheap and readily available. The savings from the diesel's economy will pay for it in the long run.

As far as Toyotas go, I know that MANY will praise them for their reliability and off-road capabilities. And, I know that to be true. However, I am over 6' tall and 250+ lbs., and the Toyotas are JUST NOT AS COMFORTABLE to me. My big Ford is BIG and COMFORTABLE.

Also, if you plan on doing any camping, you might think about getting something like a Callen Camper made for your rig. They can build and equip it for you ANY WAY you want. They are very sturdy and well built.

So, do some more homework and ask people you meet around town or in Baja their opinions. With some more good information, I'm sure you'll be able to make a wise decision.

Amo Pescar

[Edited on 9-11-2006 by AmoPescar]
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 01:57 AM

I too have a 2001 f-250 turbo diesel crew cab 4x4 and it pulls strong and long. It gets 14.5 mpg but diesel in Mexico is $1.82 /gallon. Thats about 8 cents a mile. In the U.S. it's closer to 14 cents a mile.

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 03:07 AM

Vehicles Since 1968

October 1968--Cessna 170 B-No 4x4 Necessary

1970---1968 Chevy 4x4 350- Hi -Rise-with RV Cam-Ran on Mexican Regular.

1980- 1972 Toyota Pick Up R22 Engine - 5Speed Tranny

1990- 1982 Toyota Pick Up

1993- 19 93 Jeep Cherokee 6 Cyl Sold at 167,000 miles all Baja Roads}

1998 -For me! 1992 Ford F150 4x4 6 Cly. 5 Speed Trannywith Camper.Totalled while moving my last Load of Funiture to Lake Havasu City. By a DOPE Smoking Character pulling his Boat at 55 Mph _We and several other Vehicles stopped for Left Turn..

My opinion;;For just 2 People and a Dog, the Toyota is the Best.

For more Room and a place to sleep on a 4x4 Beach the Ford F150.

Skeet/Loreto
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:35 AM

The new 2007 Tundra, as per CU, is 4 inches wider and a foot longer with a 10,000 lb towing capacity and a new 5.7 V8.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:40 AM
Go Four By Four

Once you establish your base camp with the TT, you will grow tired of the places you can explore safely with 4x2. It's not like there's an Auto Club tow truck within an hour. Self sufficiency is a good thing on the peninsula.

But dont make the mistake of thinking that 4x4 means no getting stuck. You got to learn their limitations, too.

For the typical 10% premium in fuel consumption, I think 4x4 is worth the trade off.
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 09:14 AM

What do you see stuck up to the axles, 4x4's or 4x2's???

By far it is 4x4's.

Don't blame it truck, it's the mentality!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 09:27 AM

SAND RULE (2WD or 4WD): Let air out of the tires!!!! Drop at least 50% of the air pressure so you see the tire sidewalls buldging. If burried, then clear away the sand that has contact with the underside and in front of the tires.

My 3 ply sidewall, 35+ psi mud tires don't float until they are down to 10 psi, then they work great!

discoverer_STT.jpg - 7kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 01:50 PM

my .02

4x4 - as stated - really not necessary until you get stuck, then you really really wish you had it.

salsa- a 2x4 can't get stuck up to the "axles". Only one.

[Edited on 9-11-2006 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:11 PM

Love my 4 door '04 Tundra 4WD with 4Wheeler pop-top after twenty years in a Jeep CJ-7.

That being said, there is some truth in the saying "Four wheel drive will allow you to get stuck even farther from civilizaton!" so pay attention.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.