Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Kids and Baja
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 02:08 PM
Kids and Baja

Was just reading about taking the kids into baja and had some q's for those of you who have accomplished this seemely impossible trip. I have a two year old and am planning an extended trip this winter. So whats the trick? What items would you deem essential and what experiences can you share regarding keep the tykes alive and happy?

yuletide
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 03:08 PM
Not impossible -- it's fun

A few suggestions:

1. Plan for the best, but prepare for the worst. Since kids are more susceptible to serious consequences from bites and stings, I always have an epi pen around to prevent anaphylactic shock. Let's hope I never have to use it.

2. Bring and do stuff that's fun for kids. Like me, you may like nothing better than sitting in a chair with a cold one staring meditatively at the horizon. Kids generally need a tad more stimulation. Lots of physical activity -- hiking, running around on the beach, throwing rocks, whatever, wears them out and makes for an earlier and easier bedtime. My guys also love watching the pangueros kill and clean fish (could be genetic). For inside fun (including while driving, which is often the toughest for kids to deal with), lightweight and compact stuff like crayons, coloring books, project paper, glue sticks, travel games and paperback children's books are a must. You, of course, must participate and show your artistic talent as well. Try making up bedtime stories and acting them out as shadow plays using a lantern (I usually make guests do this as the price for me cooking dinner, in addition to their doing the dishes).

3. Set a few important rules and explain why they're important. Here are my top three: (a) Never put your hands where you can't see them (this'll be tough with a 2-year old), or something will bite you; (b) never walk near cliffs (or whatever dangerous areas you have) without a grownup or you will slip and fall and get very badly hurt; and (c) never play stickball or have a swordfight with a jumping cholla, because Daddy doesn't want to operate on you with a pair of needlenose pliers while you scream your lungs out.

You will have a great time. Our last time down, I was walking with my 10-year old on the beach (we've been taking him down since he was six months old) and he told me that it was his favorite place in the whole world. Score another Baja addict.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 03:44 PM

Our daughter’s first big Baja trip was 9 years ago at 6 months of age. We drove to Mulege and primitive camped for 7 days. We make at least 2 big trips a year. A quick list of must-haves:

Fun music - Raffi, etc.
Drawing pads
String and beads for necklaces and other crafts
Healthy snacks
First aid kit (include insect bite meds)
LED Headlamp
Childs potty chair
Patience

Take your time. Make stops in some of the smaller towns that my have a park or beach to run around and get some fresh air. La Pinta Hotels are always a good stop. We found it helpful to sneak little toys and games into the truck and surprise her with them when times get boring. If you are staying somewhere near other families with kids of the same age it’s a great way for everyone to make new friends. You may notice that the soldiers at the military checkpoints appreciate families with young children. It’s almost a free pass. Encourage your child to scream out “Hola!” and “Salud!”. Most important, keep it fun for everyone. Drive safe. I’m sure I’ll think of more.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:02 PM

You'll have a great time and see things you might have missed before when you travel with your kids. Both of our daughthers travelled with us through mainland Mexico and Baja when they were babes in arms and as they grew (now 21 and 25). They survived and thrived without any more fuss than at home (and often way less fuss). You might notice how having children with you suddenly makes you more 'part of the community' with people who never had much to say to you before. If you can take care of yourself in Mexico already, you'll have no problem taking care of the little ones.

Take all the precautions you would at home, plus extras for the risks of the area, for sure, but be prepared to have Mexico open up to you and a chance to see it with your children's eyes.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:21 PM

Yes, don't go potty near a cholla!!!

Kids sun block... and if that washes off...

Sun burn spray or vinegar or tea tree oil to apply on sun burns

A portable ultra violet/ black light is great fun to show them all the scorpions walking around at night!:lol::rolleyes:

Seriously, Baja is a great experience for kids to learn about life without video games! Also great nature and foreign culture experience

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:28 PM

Good answers above but this IS a TWO year old. I never had any luck explaining rules to my two year olds. We've taken both our kids down when they were around 2 years old and many times since. The little one is 5 now.

1. When driving down, don't be in a hurry. Plan frequent stops based on the little one's sleeping schedule. When they are asleep, don't stop for anything, take advantage if you have a destination.
2. It's much easier to watch the kids out on the beach than in a city.
3. Tough Traveler backback with sun/rain shade is a must.
4. Bring lots of child snacks/juices in easily accessible small packs. Each day, set up a small food/snack store of accessibles to be taken with you. Ziplocks are wonderful things for snacks, crayons and a clean,pre-moistened washcloth. We used only sippy cups for the two years olds.
5. Make sun-screening fun by doing dad and mom at the same time. Let the kids rub some on you. Use a combination bug/sun lotion for obvious reasons.
6. Kids don't like cold showers and the screaming irritates the neighbors. We always used a sun shower and sometimes boiled some water to help heat it up. (We also like organic soaps or Dr. Bonners that rinse off easily.)
(A washcloth in heated water usually works for the kids)
7. If you're camping, bring an extra tent or play area for the little one. This is another form of entrapment by tent (with toys)(srceen tents are ideal). One year we brought the swimming pool fence because I had my two year old myself for a week during his road-runner stage.
8. Streamline favorite comfort toys. The more you bring the more....mess.
9. Some of the back-of-the-seat kid's play areas work for some kids.
10. Our kids loved tapes/music but wouldn't keep the headphones on when they were two. We had to play their music on the car stereo and use walkmen to stop from going kid-music crazy.
11. Bring enough child-safe sun screen and bug juice as you won't find the selection in Baja. Also any favorite neccessities and baby care items, child's favorite crackers etc. Find a sun hat the kid will where.
12. For another measure of safety/control, we have taken a few of those small blow-up pools and a 5 gallon bucket a few times. You can fill it with a few buckets of clean water from the beach and the pool (with child) stays in a nice safe place near your beach chairs and beer cooler.
13. I remember the look on my three year old daughter's face when I put her on a boogie board and towed her above the shallow reef to look down at the fish.
14. Mom and dad have to share. Each will need to take full charge at times to let the other do their thing. You can't cook or shave your legs and watch the kid at the same time ! Be nice !!

You didn't say where you are going and how you are traveling. We try to select places to visit or camp that are kid friendly, thus parent easy.
The beaches at El Requeson and similar spots have warm water and shallow beaches.

Have fun and ALWAYS remember that you are on vacation !!!
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:36 PM

Diver, that is most excellent advice :tumble: especially number 14!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:49 PM

I agree, great advice from Diver. Except for the leg shaving part. Not having ever shaved my legs, I can't say whether he's right on that or not. :tumble::tumble:

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 04:58 PM

Great advice all around. thanks all.

yuletide
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 06:17 PM

I would mabey also suggest a disposible camera (sorry my spelling is bad). I two year old would love being able to take there "own" pictures. When I travelled with my kids (not to baja :() when they were young they loved the camera idea. Granted, you might get alot of kneecap pictures, but hey, it keeps them happy.:lol:

Kaopetate, (great child upset stomach relief). If they do get the "poop's" they can take a mouth full each time.

Beach shoes, for when they are running around on the beach, I know how hard it is to try and stop a two year old from running into water, and would hate to have them step on something painful.

We are taking our 4 kids down again in November. They love it, and can't wait to go back. Have fun with your children and rememeber, soon they will be teenagers, and not want to go anywhere with you, charish this time.;D
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:07 PM
Don't bring them to the Nueva York Deli

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
what experiences can you share regarding keep the tykes alive and happy?

Sign in a North Carolina coffee house:

Unsupervised children will be given a double shot espresso and a puppy.

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:16 PM

Maybe getting the kids across the border is the first hurdle. You need a tourist card to get past Gurerro Negro (the last few times I was there) and sometimes even past Ensenada. Sometimes the immigration guys giving you the card at Tijuana care about all those notarized statements from absent parents and sometimes they don't. I have had it both ways and I get them just in case. If you have both parents present and passports or birth certificates, then no problem. I never do, so I bring all the notarized statements, the list of which you can find in various places around the web and maybe on this site.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 10:23 PM
Daughters with umbrellas

Girls can be very shy about taking quick road-side pit stops.
They can also be quite timid about retreating very far off the road.
Solution:
Carry a large old beatup umbrella.
Daughter ventures not too far off the side of the road, sets up umbrella (on its side) and hunkers down behind it for her semi-privacy.
Sounds silly.... but it works.
BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 11:05 PM

For what it's worth...I took my six year old down for the first time this summer. While a bit different that a two year old, I agree with everything said although I found my guy didn't need all the toys from home once we got to the beach. Once on the beach he spent hours with nothing more than a shovel and a bucket. At night a flashlight did the trick, although he was usually sacked out from exhaustion soon after sunset.

As mentioned, LOTS of kid drinks and food they like if they are picky eaters (although great to try new things).

If you are camping, or spending your time on the sand, bring a "Hudson" type pump sprayer for rinsing feet, hands, and everything else with water.

PLEASE let us know how it goes and what tricks you learn.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 12:30 AM

There's a lot of good advice on this thread. I've been bringing my six year old son to Baja since he was two.

For baths, I used one of those large Rubbermaid containers I use to store stuff. You can fill it in a shower stall.

You do need the affidavit to enter Mexico with a minor if you travel without your spouse. I've always had it and been asked for it on several occasions.

What is real fun for the kid is to give him or her what we call a "shovel ride" in the sand. Have the kid sit on the scoop of the shovel while straddling and holding onto the handle and then pull the kid around. We've gone pretty fast and he's never got hurt - even when he wipes out pretty good. He's six and still insists on a shovel ride. It's a good workout for the parent - believe me.

I brought an extra tent for his toys. It became a sort of fort for him and his newfound friends in camp. My son was into Thomas trains, and the tent kept the sand out of the tracks and trains. It's good to bring a roll of carpet for this purpose as well.

My son loves canned whole kernel corn heated on the stove. I always bring an ample supply.

We bring along a small photo album of family, pets, and past trips.

I used to try to keep the lengths of each day's drive down, but now he can handle an 8-hour plus trip much better than my wife.

We always brought our dog. Another reminder of home without bringing on homesickness.

It's funny how he still remembers the orange cabin at Camp Gecko that we stayed in when he was two. He also remembered Andy and Mary. Good times.
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 07:09 AM

Looks like everyone has got you covered. I have been taking my daughter down since she was 2, now at 7 she is a Baja freak. I am so lucky that she enjoys it as much as she does and that I have great friends that helped me out being a single parent. The one thing that has made her comfortable is a porta potty. I have it set up in the back of the Suburban. The widows are tinted black so she has her privacy. Another thing that is a good trick is baby powder to get off moist sand from their feet and bodies. Just dash some on and wipe off with towel.
Baja is a special place for her and I. Hope the same for you and your children.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 08:04 AM

I cant think of a better place on earth to take your kids. with planing and the suggestions above it will be the vacation of there life. also you can turn it into a learning experience without them realizing it. it is up to you to make it fun and interesting for them.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacside
also does anyone know if airplane travel requires the notarized letter from the absent parent authorizing travel for the youngster?

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 10:39 AM

It's been said, but what great advice! My kids have practically grown up in baja, spending EVERY school holiday down there.

We started journaling as soon as each one could talk. As part of our night time routine I would ask them what was the best part of their day and copy their words verbatim. Photos would be later added to the journal once we got home. As they grew they would "write" their own journals with drawings, then graduated to writing their own entries.

Both kids love to re-visit their journals, remembering what would have been lost along the years if it wasn't written down.

My son is off to college this month, so it goes by so quickly. Enjoy every sunrise, cause they'll get up early. Falling stars are big time! Tide pooling, cow counting, cactus hunting,,,the list goes on.

On a seperate note, when college boy was little he had to go potty ALL THE TIME until I found out that he was actually rock collecting, stuffing his pockets full with each 'potty stop'. I bought him a urinal that he decorated with markers and he got used to using that instead of the road side. It also came in handy at those long border waits.

Have fun!
P<*)))><

[Edited on 12-9-2006 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 02:34 PM
+++

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Tide pooling, cow counting, cactus hunting,,,the list goes on.

[Edited on 12-9-2006 by Paulina]

We count crosses. Sounds morbid, doesn't it? He's allowed to count the ones on his side and I count mine. Graveyards are off limits. The one with the highest count at the end of the day wins.

Keeping a journal is a fabulous idea, the best of all. But she's too young for that.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.