Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Hurricane List
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 05:50 PM
The Hurricane List

I have been debating about starting this thread but decided that it is as good a time as any to start a list of preparing for hurricanes. Those of us who have just been through one will have these things fresh in our minds. Those of you who have lost homes and belongings can help the rest of us do better.
I hope that this list will come in handy the next time any of us need it.

1- water, both bottled and tap. We fill up everything we can with tap water which can be used later for flushing, washing,etc.

2-Gas...for generators, vehicles etc

3-Propane

4- Ice....bags and blocks
Also, I start saving plastic milk cartons in Feb, wash them, fill them with tap water and freeze them. We have a chest freezer and it is always more efficient if full. Then they are ready for coolers when you lose power. Also after they melt you can flush with them.

5-Food for a week. Remember than you will probably not be able to depend on your frig so canned goods are great.

6-Beer and wine, if you are so inclined

7-Get your camping gear together. We were amazed at how many things we could use that were in our camper.(I couldnt get Caligas out here before the storm. Called them 3 days ahead and no luck. Although we still have propane even today, I was worried that it would run out, so out comes the camp stove with its own propane and we used it the entire time)

8-Coil up and stow your water hoses. They become whips in 100mph winds

9-Storm windows. We just had some installed(didnt get but two windows done before john) that look pretty good. They are made of laminada galvinasada that is run through a track on the top and bottom. The track at one end is closed and at the others has a screw at the top and bottom so you can extract the shutters. They were not tested as we didnt have much wind, but they are relatively inexpensive. While I am on windows. If they leak, put a rolled up towel along the sill with a tail hanging down into a bucket...it will wick the water into the bucket.

:no::no::no:
At this time, I dont have the time to go on.
So Nomads
Take it from here.:dudette:

Shimmer
Junior Nomad

Mood: In the Question

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 07:34 PM

Judy ...... can you tell me how many screws were used to attach the tracks top and bottom to the block...( how far apart are they) and how far beyond each window the shutters extend. the metal shutters are certainly on viable option.

I went down with some friends to San Jose today and spoke with the distributor for the Florida tested hurricane clothe ...Storm Chasher Baja. The system is very straight forward and strong..... but expensive.

I put up 12 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood cut into shutters for my windows/doors...... I am looking for something else, I dont feel plywood is the answer.

I need to price out the metal roofing sytem.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 07:59 PM

Cistern!
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:43 PM

here's a checklist you can print out although you gotta add your own category for libations........ and gas for the genny to run the blender!

http://www.wcti12.com/hurricane_checklist.htm

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:59 PM
Documents/Photographs

After having to evacuate due to a wildland fire, I learned that we keep too many original/important documents and or photographs at home.

My solution was to copy (by using a scanner onto a CD) all important or original documents and photographs. Keep the hard copy of the documents at home, place the originals in a bank safe deposit box and send a copy of the CD to a relative or friend across the country for safekeeping.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 09:52 PM

Thank you Judy, I tried this earlier, but I realize now it was to soon and insensitive. I thought it to be important. I am so glad you started it now, because the memory is still fresh in the mind.

Mulege's horrible flooding will take a great deal of thought and maybe the only real answer is some kind of early warning system.
Would this be equated to a 100 year flood? If so, if nothing is done for a while, People will soon forget.
My contribution to the list is to unbolt satellite dish just before the winds hit, if possible, so everyone can hear from you ASAP.

[Edited on 9-12-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 11:23 AM

I'd like to add to the list. Flashlights and/or candles. Transistor radio and spare batteries. Old fashioned telephone. If you can, get a VHF radio or scanner.
When the storm hit, I put the leashes on the dogs just in case
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 11:33 AM

After going down to La Paz 3 days after Marty hit, the need for 100% DEET insect repellant was critical. Dengue is not to be fooled with and it became rampant. I know, Avon Skin-so-Soft, etc. is supposed to work, but 100% DEET WILL work. I hope the mosquito population will not spike in Mulege.

Good idea Judy!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Cistern!

You bet! Both for a reserve, and to be among the first who refill when there's finally 2 pounds of pressure in the line; that's enough to fill the below-ground cistern but inadequate to push up to the rooftop tinacos.

Something to consider is what happens to your cistern when 12 inches of water falls out of the sky. Most I've seen are NOT prepared for filthy storm waters over their top, but it sure would be handy to have it keep water OUT as well as IN.

--Larry

Larry....Could/would you explain the construction of a Cistern and how to prevent contamination by Ground water?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 03:31 PM

Intestinal fortitude to endure would rank at the top of my list.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:00 AM

Larry

The large plastic tanks have to have a concrete slurry or a block wall around them.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Shimmer
Junior Nomad

Mood: In the Question

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:51 AM

The 5k liter or 10k liter plastic cisterns must be wrapped as stated above, with a concrete/dirt/rock mixture... watered/ tamped in and down in 6 inch lifts. with a block top 3-4 courses. they will collapse if this is not done.... and they should be immediatley filled with water before beginning any wall construction procedure. I have mine so that the screw on lid is 1 foot above the grade and the block is slightly above that... to insure that there be no runoff contamination. I have seen several that are flush to the ground but I feel the danger of contamination is too great to run with that particular aesthetic decision.

This has solved my water problem... so far...... I put in a 5k and wish I would have put in a 10k.

[Edited on 9-13-2006 by Shimmer]
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 09:14 AM

Al G........

My cistern is under the garage & I designed it to be approximately 17K liters; from the days of peepa truck deliveries, when I got the 15K liter truck at a slightly better rate per liter than the 10K liter truck; city water was connected about a year ago, so my cistern is typically 95=100% full.

My workers HATED me, but I made them dig an area large enough to line the hole with a huge sheet of heavy duty black plastic (visquene), they poured the floor, and build the block walls up, tarred the outside of the cistern & brought the plastic up to the top edge on the entire exterior. then filled the outer perimeter back in with compacted dirt.

My property sits high (20-25' above the bay) and I'm between arroyos so there is absolute minimum risk of contamination from exterior sources (never say never!). My father was a water-well driller, so I grew up with an awareness of avoiding flood plains & looking at natural runoff patterns whenever I buy land. Plus, I tend to err on the side of safer rather than sorry! I prefer to spend a little more to do it "hell for stout" to begin with rather than face the potential to have to redo it a few years down the road.

My 17K liter capacity might sound like overkill to those of you with smaller tinacos, but I am very conservative in my water usage....I use less than 10K liters every 6 weeks....that includes topping off the pool every 2-3 days during the hotttest part of the year. I also designed the septic tank to feed grey water into a separate section from black water, so that the grey can be pumped out for watering landscaping plants, so I can actually recycle the majority of my water usage.
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 09:30 AM
Americans & Mexicans EQUALOLY eligible for Aid

IMPORTANT :The Mexican Government has a well established disaster response effort in place throughout the country, with the coordination between Federal and local, and the assistance between States, impressive.
Sept 12, 200 stoves were delivered to the town to allow people to begin to become self-sufficient more quickly. Since the disaster, over 900 meals a day are served to residents. These types of relief are available to the American residents as well. It is important to be understood that Mexican services are available EQUALLY to American residents. (Note: these are not available to tourists without property here).
It is not clearly understood by some of the Americans here that there is NO DIFFERENTIATION made between needy recipients. Americans and Mexicans are EQUALLY entitled to government assistance, provided, of course that they are here legally and are registered as required by law, with FM3 and property title or legal rental documents.
There is a lack of info on what the American victims need, and who they are, for that matter. In order to qualify for aid, they must register with the Procurador Lic. Sergio Villareal Nogales 1 block from the Post Office. They must present themselves with whatever papers they have of residency or ownership. This process is extremely important to get an accurate assessment of total needs of the ENTIRE community, to distribute benefits equitably. He will provide written certification of their eligibility as "INDEMNIFICADOS". Without this paper, they are ineligible.
We will try to coordinate translation services for insurance policies. Those whose insurance covers their loss will not receive duplicate government aid ALSO. It is either /or, to allow greater coverage of benefits, and avoid double dipping. The greater likelihood is that Americans have NEITHER insurance, NOR register for available indemnification.
It is not that the Government has an intent of ignoring the American residents needs. These people NEED TO REGISTER as soon as possible. PASS THE WORD.

Also, OFFICIAL Govt info is on http://www.bahiasdebaja.com
Much other info is rumor and not official

There is no separate donation distribution for Americans and Mexicans. ALL clothes etc and other aid goes through the Mulege Fire Department. If you donate to other pass thru channels - individuals, Rotary, etc. make sure the funds go through the established channels.

RESIDENT Americans eating in restaurants - be careful the food is not local origin. Meat, chicken, etc from flood areas can carry SERIOUS disease.

Translation services for insured individuals will be noted on the site above.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:37 PM

Escape route!! Map, if needed.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 02:35 PM

Larry

Yes Me, and Longlegs where did you find a 15k pipa truck? most of the pipas that deliver to Comitan are 10K, they have one 11K that I always ask for and get 1/2 the time.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 02:59 PM

Comitan....."You've got mail!" :bounce:
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:24 PM

Larry....don't make me tell you the specs & const techniques required for the garage floor!!! Suffice it to say "heller for stouter"! You could park a tank in there without expecting the gun barrel to have to do double duty as a snorkel!:bounce:
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:26 PM

Not sure if you folks have a sams store or a walmart down there, and I am guessing that you DONT.

So if you know someone that is Up in North baja or Cali, and headed back south, as them to stop at a Sams or a Walmart, and grab the water purification drops that they sell. They are made by a company in the US, and they work. The water may taste a bit funny, but its clean, and the drops are inexpensive.

and dont forget some sort of Light. Be it a propane lantern or maybe a flash light. get batteries, or charge up the rechargable.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.