Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Books for the kids, schools etc
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 11:16 PM
Books for the kids, schools etc

Anyone heading south and wanting to pick up books for the schools-I used to get great Spanish school stuff at Edumate on Morena Blvd. in San Diego. So if you're heading down to Mulege please drop by and see what money you can spend for the kids who have lost so much. I will be going to their website if they still have one and ordering books to take down in the spring. If anyone has another source please advise. I'm sure Ensenada has a good bookstore also.:bounce:
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 08:14 PM

Good info and I hope more will reply. There is always a need for that stuff and only more so now that the books they had got mostly wiped out. the schools need everything they can get.

kp
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 09:04 PM
books for kids, schools

Well, I couldn't find the Edumate website that used to be there so I don't know if it is still in business! I did spend 4 hrs this morning going thru books in Spanish at Amazon to get an idea of what to buy and start a list. I homeschooled my two boys for over 10 yrs so have an idea what books might be good for a library etc. I am pricing library/school binding for many of the books.

Whatever the little local school makes in a fundraiser for the Baja schools I will match to buy books. Any teachers here on this forum might drop me a line w suggestions...so far I have been putting a variety of books k-12 on my list-everything from dictionaries and biographies to Harry Potter and the sciences (refererence stuff).

I am planning on buying 3-4 of each so that I can spread the books around to at least 4 different schools ie mtn schools too.

Anyone who might want join in on this endeavor come on in!:bounce:

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 11:06 AM

There is an excellent library in an autonomous community in Chiapas which was created, in large part, by donations from teachers in Mexico, primarily Mexico City. If you can get the Mulege teachers to contact some school board or such entity, and explain what has happened, I'm sure the word will get out. Possibly contact schools in Mazatlan, Topolobampo (towns close to the ferry service or with means to cross the Gulf) and get those books on the ferry into Baja. Some organization by Mexicans will go a long way. Mexican banks, grocery stores, and other large companies in Tijuana and Ensenada should be contacted, and told of the situation and ask them to sponsor book drives, donations or outright purchases for the Mulege school and also the new library in Bahia de Los Angeles. People already in TJ and Ensenada could possibly make the contacts. Send pics - self-explanatory. The Mexican connection should not be overlooked.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:14 PM

Books that were wet but not destroyed & are now drying out @ CECYTE high school include a partial encyclopedia. The computer lab (back when there was one) was not available to all at all times, and internet access was limited so on-line encyclopedias are somewhat foreign to these kids. Paper is better, even tho dramatically more cumbersome to transport. and FYI, the library at the big Primaria is not a very useful resource regardless.

If anybody can scare up Mexican encyclopedias, I will transport however many we get (I hope I live to regret that statement). CECYTE can use up to 3, and the Primarias 1 or 2 each. Ditto w/some grand dictionarias and Mexican history books. The more the merrier. If we get too many (Heaven forbid!!) the town library & Santa Rosalia's library can use them.

Bucko- great idea on that pesky Potter kid and the like. If CS Lewis is translated into espanol, Narnia stuff would be great, as would the Bilbo Bagenstoss stories.

Truth is, the Bibliotecas at the schools and in town have always been puny & not conducive to good introduction to research for the kids of rural Mexico. This is a great time to set them up to a reasonable level. Thanks everybody for any help you can lend.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 03:54 PM
books

Oh yea and I do have the Narnia books in Spanish on the list too!!!

I haven't hit the reference/science, single encyclopedia section yet-we have dial-up and it takes FOREVER to do stuff. The Hobbit would be a good one...so far I've lined out some biographies of a few people in world history (Da Vinci and Galileo etc), several different levels of fiction, school/student dictionaries, some books ie Curious George and alphabet stuff for k-3, and some classics for the older kids -well, can you tell I am having fun going thru the books in Spanish list???? Haven't come across any Mexican-history-type books at Amazon .......and I've only just begun. :bounce:

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.