BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mosquito Abatement (Dengue Fever)
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 08:11 PM
Mosquito Abatement (Dengue Fever)

Our rotary district 5110 is researching with helping supply mosquito abatement equipment and training for the Mulege and South Area. We have an entomologist on board that can obtain the needed equipment and provide expertise to impliment the program. He has set up a program in the Los Barilles area in the last year or so. We may need to airlift the stuff in. Equipment weight is about 350# or so but don't know the details on size at this point. Probably looking at doing this later this year or towards Feb/March. Anyone familiar with the need for that please reply.

kevin
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 08:17 PM

Feb. or March... Is this like shutting the barn door after the horse gets out ????
Duh!!! Now might be a good time...
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 10:38 PM
better late than never

if the horses were breeding in the barn.....duh...:lol:.. there will always be mosquitos so I think the help offered will be needed anytime. And it is a great offer. Let's be friends. peace.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 06:25 AM

better late than never absolutely it will be good any time you can do it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:05 AM

roundtuit

Ya know the other old saying: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!"??? Did ya catch the fact that kp_martin's post stated this generous effort is currently in a research stage? That tells me they're planning on getting it right the first time; as opposed to shipping some down a case of mosquito coils & a book of matches! Sure, sooner is better than later, but effective is better than nada! Look at this as a long term solution to replace the emergency stop-gap methods currently being employed in these areas. Besides which, with a name like "roundtuit", I can only assume your first name must be "whenIgeta", which makes your comment kinda hypocritical, dontcha think?;D:bounce:
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:33 AM

This is not a simple project. Paul will post more info here asap. First we will need to raise c. $7000, (that won't happen overnight), design a abatement district, obtain equipment and chemicals and train folks there to use/maintain it. Thanks for the interest all. Both of us work summer jobs and time is limited till Oct or so.

We are under the assumption that there is not any organized system currently established; don't want to duplicate efforts.

kevin
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:48 AM

One part of our property taxes goes to our Mosquito Abatement District. Without a doubt, the BEST part of our taxes. If my wife sees one (1) mosquito, she calls them and they bring there foggers and bingo.... gone. By the way, OLD TIRES are the best breeding grounds, so put bleach in them (impossible to dump all the water out).

It sounds like Kevin & the folks at Rotary are going to do it right and Mulege will be better for their efforts because of it.

Mulege easily could become an example for other Baja cities to copy.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:55 AM

Anybody that wants to get rid of mosquito's has my support. Anytime. Anyplace. Mosquito's have indirectly killed more people and caused more grief than any other living creature.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:56 AM

A good program may have to evolve over a few years. Startup money raised, permanent funding sources established, training, etc.

Here in Kalispell Montana we are stuck on square one-political ballot issues and assorted infighting-for two years now, with west nile showing up.

In Loreto, there's been some organized efforts over the last two years. An inspector came to my place earlier this summer to make sure I had no breeding spots on my lot. And I think they are spraying.
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:57 AM

kp_ martin I owe you one big apology as I didn't understand the problems getting this started.. Have seen to much procrastinating in my life

longlegsinlapaz-- roundtuit actually started as a handyman business for the
"whenIgeta" husbands that wanted to play golf or didn't know how to fix.
Later became a construction company
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 09:51 AM
official channel for Mosquito Aid - WHENEVER

First- THANK YOU for your offer.
The proper direct connection is through the local Mulege Delegado WILFREDO CANEDO +52-615-153-0770
Thre is only one phone there. Wait till things settle down after the immediate urgency and make the arraangements.
If you need assistance in that regard, or language liason contact www.bahiasdebaja.com official Govt info site, or YO SOY MULEGE, AC a local NGO. 153-0808
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 09:55 AM

Kevin- I forgot to mention
Longtime resident Jim Christopher is consulate affairs person here, and also heads local Rotary chapter. His home was 86'd but he is available at
jimaniebaja@prodigy.net.mx

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 12:22 PM

Current relief operation consists of backpack sprayers wielded by on-foot patrols. I suspect that will disappear before T+60 days are up.
IIWM, I'd discuss the situation with Jimmie Christopher first as to how, politically, to approach the municipality. If it looks like something substantial, there may be local jockeying to attempt to pull it under one jurisdiction or another, and you want it to get where it should be (sorry I don't know straight off where that is).
As to the "district" for ongoing funding, I can't imagine how that would work. Payment of taxes isn't exactly an organized model on the "frontera." More like taxes get paid where there is a positive gatekeeper who can enforce collection. A cooperative relationship that would provide for annual costs would be easiest, IMO, sort of like a sister-city adoption that could provide for annual donations of time/material by people who have it in mind that this is important and valuable work so "I" will see to it rather than rely on "them." An annual work party by a U.S. Rotary chapter or equivalent would be ideal.
My $.02. Hope it helps.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:46 PM

I agree about humans being the #1 killer, left that fact out in order to be nice to my fellow killers.
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeljob
One part of our property taxes goes to our Mosquito Abatement District. Without a doubt, the BEST part of our taxes. If my wife sees one (1) mosquito, she calls them and they bring there foggers and bingo.... gone. By the way, OLD TIRES are the best breeding grounds, so put bleach in them (impossible to dump all the water out).

It sounds like Kevin & the folks at Rotary are going to do it right and Mulege will be better for their efforts because of it.

Mulege easily could become an example for other Baja cities to copy.

Actually this is a bad idea. The bleach will start to break down the rubber than will then go into the ground, and make all sorts of nasties in the future.

If you dont want to take the time to use a cloth to remove it, put a little diesel fuel. Just enough to coat the surface. it wont eat through the rubber no matter how ling it sits. the best thing to do, is cut the tires in half. A little effort this year, is a better year next.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:10 PM

Cut tires in 1/2 with sawzall... we do that here too.....

Also plant cubano oregano if possible....... also rub it on skin. Will keep squitos away as good as repellent with DEET. Doesnt work with dried oregano.

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 10:17 PM

Great stuff and I'll keep it all in mind and we'll be sure to contact those folks when things settle down. Thanks for the great input you guys are great.

roundtuit, apology accepted; I've been known to speak to quickly at times myself.

kevin

Sir Wilfred Grenfell said,

The service we render others� is the rent we pay for our room on earth. OR
-----
She was only a moonshiner\'s daughter but I loved her still!
Paul_Heidtke

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 08:49 AM
Mosquitos

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED REGARDING MOSQUITO ISSUES IN MULEGE. MY NAME IS PAUL HEIDTKE AND I AM A MEMBER OF THE MT. BACHELOR ROTARY CLUB IN BEND OREGON. I HOLD A PUBLIC HEALTH LICENCE IN OREGON AND PROVIDE VECTOR CONTROL. LAST YEAR, WORKING THRU MY ROTARY CLUB, WE WERE ABLE TO FORM A WORKING MOSQUITO ABATMENT PROGRAM IN LOS BARRILES BCS WHICH IS PROVIDING SERVICE TO THE PEOPLE LIVING IN THAT AREA. IT TOOK NEARLY SIX MONTHS OF WORK WITH THE LA PAZ HEALTH DEPT. TO GET PERMISSION TO START OUR MOSQUITO ABATMENT PROGRAM. THE STATE OF BCS NOW PROVIDES THE PESTICIDE FREE OF CHARGE AND THE LOCAL ROTARY CLUB PROVIDES EVERY THING ELSE. THE MULEGE AREA TRULY NEEDS HELP AT THIS TIME!! HOWEVER, IT WILL TAKE A BIT OF WORK AND A LITTLE TIME TO PROPERLY FUND AND BUY THE NEEDED EQUIPMENT AND THEN TRAIN PEOPLE TO OPERATE THE PROGRAM. WE ARE ON A FAST TRACK BECAUSE ROTARY HAS A WORKING RELAITIONSHIP WITH THE MEXICAN HEALTH DEPT., THE ROTARY CLUB IN MULEGE IS IN PLACE AND READY TO BE TRAINED AND THEN RUN THE PROGRAM AND I CAN MAKE MYSELF AVALABLE TO FACILITATE THE PRODJECT AT A MOMENTS NOTICE. ...WHAT WE NEED NOW IS THE MONEY TO FUND THIS WORTHY PRODJECT...... WE NEED $7,000 US TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE MONEY WILL BE USED FOR THIS PRODJECT. SINCE THIS IS A ROTARY PRODJECT THERE IS NO "OVER HEAD “ PLEASE HELP US HELP OTHERS. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR CAN HELP, PLEASE CALL ME AT 541-382-5904 OR E-MAIL AT paullheidtke@aol.com THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION!! SU AMIGO, PAUL
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 09:43 PM

Update on the Abatement Project.

The fundraising is underway, Paul is headed down there today with some equipment and will be working in Los Barilles for a bit then back up to Mulege to with his equipment and to help get something organized for the long term eradication plan.

kevin

-----
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 11:09 PM

Update on the Mosquito abatement project. For those interested, here's the link to our local Rotary efforts; a work in process...

http://www.district5110.org/main.php/ClubProjects/MulegeMosq...

kevin

-----

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.