Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Felipe to Gonzaga road report
Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:39 AM
San Felipe to Gonzaga road report

Just returned from Punta Final and am happy to say the road south into Puertecitos is a 50-55 mph run until Los Olivos where the new pavement currently is, after that it is gravel with asphalt being laid daily, and I don't mean "skinned over" it is 3-4 inches thick. There is only about a mile or so of potholes left.
The road to Gonzaga is probably the worst I've seen in 10 years same old washboard but lots and lots of wash outs and boulder and rock obstacles.
I was told there were 2 days of rain 3-5 inches per day depending where you were, needed 4 wheel drive twice to get through some sand and steep uphills out of the rivers beds the rain created.
I hope they never pave that road, the trip down is half the fun of being there.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 07:23 PM

Thank You-Going down in 8 days and it is nice to know...
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 03:42 PM

Fatboy

Please report on the road when you get back, as i am heading south in a month.

Thanks.:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 02:28 PM

I'm heading down in 8 weeks, and will be watching this tread as well. Thanks Fatboy!

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 04:09 PM

I'm heading down around the 17th of oct and going thru Gonzaga bay. Wondering how the road is thru there now. Going down to Mulege to pick up the pieces, so Gonzaga is my mini relax part before the work. Would appreciate any info on conditions. TKX....

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 09:06 PM
Just drove the route today !!

The new pavement is within 8 miles north of Puertecitos.

They are working on it daily and should have it paved within 2 miles of Puertecitos by November 1 .
There was about four(4) miles of potholes as of this date !!!!!!!!!!!!

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 09:23 AM

Beercan

How about below Puertecitos? Edguero had stated 4WD was necessary in several spots. Is that true?
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 02:08 PM
??????? Didn't drive past Puertecitos .

I did see many vehicles go past , so the road must be passable. Not all were 4-wheel drives either.

I will drive to Punta Bufeo around the 16th and can report then .

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 03:56 PM

Beercan

I'll be heading down on the 12th for a quick trip, so I'll wave as I head north on the 16th:spingrin::spingrin:
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 11:24 PM

I'll be right behind you Wonderer. We'll be in SF on the night of the 13th if all goes well and head for Gonzaga the next morning. Grade the road a little for me.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 01:49 PM

Bajaden:

I'll tell you what. I'll move some of the smaller rocks if you get the big ones! :lol::lol::lol:
COOTER

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 09:01 PM

Last time I went on that road the worst part was the half worn out pavement and half dirt part. I'm going to be on that road the 25th. I hope its rough, cause I will be on a dirt bike.

COOTER
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 02:16 PM

Edguero got it right.

Just got back from Punta Buefo yesterday. The road is beat up. It will probably not get too much better with the 1000 coming through next month. Several sandy washes that 4wd is recommended. High clearance is a must. Go slow.
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edguero
Just returned from Punta Final... The road to Gonzaga is probably the worst I've seen in 10 years... needed 4 wheel drive twice to get through some sand and steep uphills out of the rivers beds the rain created.

Holy COW!!! What a difference a month makes. We made that run on 10/10 and it was a piece of cake. Sure, there were some spots where you'd lose it if you were driving beyond your skill levels or your vehicle capabilities but as long as you pay attention, it's a no brainer.

BTW, CoCo needs antibiotics and bandages. His "good" leg is badly infected after he took a knife to it in an attempt to play Doctor on himself. He has nice new shirts for sale in addition to the coldest beer in "El Valle de CoCo"
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 11:51 PM

Any updates on recent travels down to Gonzaga? How ruff is the road past the paved section?

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 06:00 AM

I will be in the area of coco's in another week or so. I will bring some bandages but the antibiotics I don't have. If someone can get them to me I will deliver.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tim40
Any updates on recent travels down to Gonzaga? How ruff is the road past the paved section?

I just returned from Bahia LA about two weeks ago via Mex 5.

The roughest part of the road is between Puertocitos and Gonzaga. Nothing too hardcore if you have high clearance, leave early, drive slow, air down, have air compressor, and a spare.

I made it fine in a Subaru Forester. You don't need a monster truck. Just take it easy and keep it slow. Stick to the main road unless you have 4WD/AWD and can handle the sand tracks which can often times be smoother.
luckyboy

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 02:39 PM

thanks for the updates. Will be heading up from bahia de los angeles at the end of the month to puertecitos in a subaru legacy (not outback :( ) and also a 2wd toyota pickup.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 03:14 PM

Photos of that section at: http://community-2.webtv.net/boojum1/207/ also in the Nomad Trip Reports Forum

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

luckyboy

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 08:10 PM
Wholly moley!

Is there some kind of award for making the trip from Hwy 1 to Puertecitos in a passenger car? Man that was a crazy drive, took me about 9-10 hours to do the 70 miles or so but had some awesome beach camping. My legacy has about 2-3 inches less clearance than a forester especially loaded to the gill and with OEM shocks riding with 90K+ miles! Those back country driving skills really come in handy, couldn't afford to lower the pressure on my tires as I needed all the ride height I could get! Coco's friend Tito was manning the stand.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.