Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New relief collection point
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 01:40 PM
New relief collection point

Martina Dobesh is a reporter for the Gringo Gazette and is doing a story for the paper and helping with hurricane relief efforts in Rosarito. She asked that I forward this information to my email list which I have. I also thought this board might be interested in her information. The devastation in Mulege from Hurricane John is terrible with homeless and there is a huge problem with mosquitoes. Anyone can help either by buying cases of mosquito repellant or cash donation, or just taking a truck down with clothing. I have established a new email to handle the networking in Northern Baja. Nancy from GG is sponsoring the truck runs. For more information
ayduamulege@yahoo.com

Joanna Jones Gallery, KM 47.6, just north of the Cantamar off ramp and the Palm Restaurant. 661-614-0823, in Rosarito is putting on a Mulege Relief Day, Sept 30, so people can drop things off and network future help.(THIS JUST MIGHT FILL THE BILL FOR THOSE WHO CAN’T TAKE THE STUFF ALL THE WAY DOWN THEMSELVES.

They will accept donations on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Send all interested inquiries to ayudamulege@yahoo.com. We will be directed from those on site as to what is needed and where other drop sites are located. Also, we are looking for people after the 30th to drive their van on truck with what we collect.

We are also looking for a small plane that mosquito repellant can be flown in. More later.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 04:23 PM

Joanna Jones Gallery should be advised that the Rosarito Ensenada Bike Ride is that same day - September 30th. The free road that goes by Cantamar will be completely closed from mid-morning to the mid-afternoon. They should really think about doing it the following weekend......

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 04:33 PM

Let me know if you need help to get any thing to Mulege

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Martina Dobesh is a reporter for the Gringo Gazette and is doing a story for the paper and helping with hurricane relief efforts in Rosarito. She asked that I forward this information to my email list which I have. I also thought this board might be interested in her information. The devastation in Mulege from Hurricane John is terrible with homeless and there is a huge problem with mosquitoes. Anyone can help either by buying cases of mosquito repellant or cash donation, or just taking a truck down with clothing. I have established a new email to handle the networking in Northern Baja. Nancy from GG is sponsoring the truck runs. For more information
ayduamulege@yahoo.com

Joanna Jones Gallery, KM 47.6, just north of the Cantamar off ramp and the Palm Restaurant. 661-614-0823, in Rosarito is putting on a Mulege Relief Day, Sept 30, so people can drop things off and network future help.(THIS JUST MIGHT FILL THE BILL FOR THOSE WHO CAN’T TAKE THE STUFF ALL THE WAY DOWN THEMSELVES.

Send all interested inquiries to ayudamulege@yahoo.com. We will be directed from those on site as to what is needed and where other drop sites are located. Also, we are looking for people after the 30th to drive their van on truck with what we collect.

We are also looking for a small plane that mosquito repellant can be flown in. More later.

Would you please e-mail this to me at info@quepasabaja.com and any new or other information that you have, so that I can get it up on my site. we have more than 1000 unique visitors a month, and they are from all over the US and The world. Maybe I can get more help.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 09:04 PM
QuePasaBaja

I have forwarded your comments to Martina for reply.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 09:32 PM

Foolish me, but I personally believe that getting aid to people who've been devastated by tremendous loss would & SHOULD take precedence over a "bike ride". Maybe the bike people could see their way clear to leaving an access route open to the drop off point!! Sliding humanitarian efforts a week just doesn't seem like a real compassionate thing to do!
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 06:40 AM
longlegsin lapaz

You be da Lady!

midwifevicki
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 09:59 AM
relief supplies

Quote:
ayduamulege@yahoo.com

midwifevicki
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
ayduamulege@yahoo.com

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 10:05 AM

I understand your sentiments and wish that were the case longlegs, but it is more complicated than that. The bike ride is a huge event that involves close to 10,000 riders and takes months to plan with complete closure of the old road stretching from Rosarito to Ensenada. All I was trying to say is that nobody will be able to get through that day once the ride begins. Perhaps the gallery could do it a week earlier?

However, I also see this as an opportunity to make a bigger difference in the relief efforts. We could try to get the word out to the bike riders and spectators and encourage them to bring items to donate at the ride start and at the after party. I think we could get some great results from that. Thoughts?

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 11:16 AM

Geoff

I think that's a terrific idea....gain from one for the other, as opposed to ignore or delay one for the other! Who knows the promoters of the ride to find out if they have the inclination to do this & could get the word out to participants?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
I understand your sentiments and wish that were the case longlegs, but it is more complicated than that. The bike ride is a huge event that involves close to 10,000 riders and takes months to plan with complete closure of the old road stretching from Rosarito to Ensenada. All I was trying to say is that nobody will be able to get through that day once the ride begins. Perhaps the gallery could do it a week earlier?

However, I also see this as an opportunity to make a bigger difference in the relief efforts. We could try to get the word out to the bike riders and spectators and encourage them to bring items to donate at the ride start and at the after party. I think we could get some great results from that. Thoughts?

Great idea, Geoff, and you are so right about trying to alter the course at this late date. There is simply no way to allow vehicles onto the free road during the race......it could be it's own disaster.

But whatever logistical means were going to collect it at the gallery and the Palms would likely be overwhelmed if it gets included within the bike race agenda. You will have to account for that.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 01:08 PM

Our company is a sponsor of the ride and I have already contacted the ride organizer about arranging a donation drop for Friday and Saturday at the Rosarito Beach Hotel where the ride starts. I will let you know as soon as I hear something. I will be there the entire weekend starting Friday, so I will be able to collect and take the clothing donations to the gallery on Sunday.

BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 01:33 PM

Revised Address to Register as a person/family affected by the flood:

Americans & others with losses need to make a formal statement to authorities.(in Spanish- translation is avail) to qualify for subsequent assistance.

Can be very simple:
"I am_ . I own the prop at __________. (bring proof if avail)
I lost the house & THESE POSSESSIONS:___________________________
The local official Agent is Lic.Maria Isela Nunez Marquez
location is now at Ministerio Publico on the Main St across from Pemex Station in town. You will get a stamped certificate REGISTERING that you were here and lost property. This will be the only “proof” that will be considered in the future for any future relief emanating from Fed Gov in Mx City.

If you have a Mx Company (ies) get one for each in addition to personally.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:51 AM

Good news! Bicycling West has agreed to help out with the Hurricane John relief efforts and have already sent out an email to the participating riders. Baja Bound will be sending out an email to our database as well. On Saturday September 30th, donation bins will be at the Will Call booth before the ride begins (10 am). Will Call will be located in the courtyard of the Rosarito Beach Hotel. Additional donation bins will be at the Information Booth at the Finish Line Fiesta in Ensenada.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.