Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 04:33 PM
Dengue Fever

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 04:39 PM
Dengue Fever

Any word on dengue fever in Loreto since Hurricane John? Still early, I know, but I am leaving the 27th of the month. I am planning to taking alot of skeeter lotion. Now, we will probably get a fair amount of rain from TS Lane too. Ah well, must take the bad with the good.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 04:41 PM

Sorry about the double post. Some of us old guys still need work on our computers.

Julie
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 09:55 AM

Sharky,
Spoke with our caretakers, no incidents reported of dengue yet. Mike and I are headed back , email us at iguanainn@yahoo.com
Julie
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 07:19 AM

I am convinced that Francisco has dengue. He has all the symptoms although we have not tested him for it. fortunately its a mild strain and he should be feeling better next week. He fished the past three days and collapsed into bed afterward. Has three more days scheduled to fish. He's had the symptoms for about a week and a half and should be over them soon, sooner if he would rest but he won't. I know two others in Consticucion who have it and its been confirmed by tests. Also the mosquitos are very bad and they still haven't sprayed.

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:39 AM

My gardener, a robust 17 year old, has been laid low for the past week by what he describes as "gripa". I don`t know if he has a touch of dengue or not. The mosquitos have definitely flourished in Loreto in the wake of John. The good news is that we did not get a drop more rain from Lane, and it does not look like we will.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:49 AM

Any Dengue reported in Mulege?
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 09:12 AM

[url=http://http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/]
Best source on Dengue INFO to look up.
Saves me the time to write all myself. :tumble:

And sounds like Bill's gardener matches the symptoms for dengue!

[Edited on 17-9-2006 by FARASHA]

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:27 AM

DENGUE vs Haemorrhagic Dengue

The infection can become dangerous since it may cause damage to the blood vessels. The damage may range from increased permeability of the blood vessels, causing leakage of blood fluid/plasma into various organs to completely broken blood vessels that causes bleeding.The symptoms and signs of dengue haemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome are related to damage to the blood vessels and derangement in functioning in components of blood that help it to clot.

That means to me - any person suffering from any kind of Dengue infection, can turn anytime into a the severe form of Haemorrhagic Dengue Fever.
Depends MAYBE which of the 4 Viruses causing it, and /or strength of the immunesystem of the patient, and/or state of bloodvessels, and the clottingfactor of an individuum blood.

Couldn't find anything else on that, in my records. Nor at the WHO website.
By the end of it I would say - probably sheer LUCK makes the difference.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 12:55 PM

Have had a fever or two. Don't want anything to do with Dengue. On second thought? Might have had it and didn't know it.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 09:40 PM

so it looks like anyone taking blood thinneres ,warfarin, Cumadin could be in big trouble if the got it??

jerry and judi
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 12:52 AM

I would assume so, as someone taking bloodthinning medication is prone to develope troubles whenever there is a change in the thinning process or in the composition of the blood.
MANY factors can contribute to a change in the thinning.
Like loosing bodyfluids through a diarrhea, or sweating more then usual ( ie. in a high fever, or summerheat).
The percentage (concentration) of the medication in the blood increases, a uncontrolled bleeding takes place on minor injuries.

jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 04:14 AM

Had dengue in the south-west pacific area it's bad . Asecondary infection can and will kill you .....DEET and lots of it. It's not to be guessed about.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 06:04 AM

drinking alcohol will allso increasing the chanses of bleeding
vitimin K will increase the cloting ability of the blood as will green leafy veges
but right now spinach would not be a good bet

jerry and judi
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 07:16 AM

We're heading back home to Loreto in a few days. Just bought a big screen tent to set up in the yard, so we can be outside without having to first take a dip in DEET. Last outbreak the mosquitoes went away when the weather got cooler, so there will be only a few months of serious problems. The rain that brings the mosquitoes also nourishes the desert and brings to life all those wonderful plants and animals who have been dormant the last few years. I'll just have to protect myself from the bad and enjoy the good, I guess.
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 11:11 AM

standing in line at the Pescadora yesterday I saw 5 others picking up bottles of the bug stuff.....me being the 6th....man o man they are sucking blood where they can find a place.....Driving me nuts....well even more so....have to keep me mum inside almost all the time as they love that thin skin on the elderly.......be glad when they are gone......I don't want to tangle with Denge that is for sure.....:no:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 02:00 PM

Larry, Try this site for explanation of the 4 types of Dengue.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/dengue/

Looks like you can have all 4 types, so get to work on that immune system!
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 01:50 PM

They had it in Cuba for a while, but it seems to have worked it self out. The one that that they keep saying, is to make sure that there is no standing water in the area. If there is, and it can not be dumped, try spreading it out, or dumping in sand or anything to kill off the bugs.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 08:25 PM

Plenty of it here in Mulege and Santa Rosalia. and now Edith has come down with it:barf:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 09:09 PM

Lets all hope she gets well quickly.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.