Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: What constitutes a post worthy of "viewing"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 12:10 AM
What constitutes a post worthy of "viewing"

the operative word being "view"

Funny what a Nomad or anyone else for that matter, of the thousands of daily visitors as of late, finds worthy of viewing.
I see that "Palm trees" and "Air rifles" takes stage over one that focuses on human disaster and actual help for those individuals.
No offense, good topics.

Not an insult as much as an embarassment IMHO, to mankind and his plight, by fellow forum visitors..

I am sorry to you that this applies to, that don't even care enough to open a thread designed to help "real people" not just armchair enthusiasts. Odd how they always "open" tragedy threads and posts.

Stay tuned for a cartoon..................:?:

------------

So I put to you the million dollar question: Why don't you care? Is it the author, or the subject?
I gots to know. Gots to know who were dealin' with.

Kudos to the "Real Nomads" who just even bothered to look.
As far as the rest..........shame on you...........:P
Recently I noticed an increase of unknown concerned posters. Thank you folks for joining with your good intents.

I also noticed a decrease in other "usual" posters. Quite a shock actually. I really thought I knew some of them.

I was once told by someone I lookedm up to: " when the chips are down the good get going"

I never till this day personally realized what that meant.

end of rant:lol:

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:21 AM

Sharks:
For me it is the People! Good , Bad ,are Indeferent.
I like to find out "What makes People Tick?"When and if, you do get a Background, it gives you and Idea of "Where they are coming from"when they Post their Words.

I too noticed a change in this Board when The Storm Approached--Indifference? Lack of Knowledge?- Concerned only for Themselves?- Scared and Fearfull- Avoiding Reality?

Who really Knows, when we are unable to Look the Poster in the Eye, observe their Actions, check their Body Lanuage,??

Actions Speak Much Louder than Words.

Anon The Preacher
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Sharks:
For me it is the People! Good , Bad ,are Indeferent.

Actions Speak Much Louder than Words.

Anon The Preacher

AMEN brother!:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 03:01 AM

I can speak only for myself - I go first by my interests - most of the time I don't even look who's the Author of a thread.
Then, if I have enough time I would look up others.
And interests can shift of course, depending on events, moods, private matters, etc...Might be for those you miss, the same. Out of the current event, where most people are tied up with after JOHN Help and clean up.
BUT:
The Views might have also to do now with lots of YOUNGER members ( not by age only meant).
The Newbies are less hesitant to join any thread and post everyhwere, and have no idea about the other members position, the Rivalry going on between them, etc.
If you miss certain people now, then maybe they feel overrun ,by so many NEWBIES, that they are a bit uncertain if and how to deal with this shift.Perceive them maybe as Invaders to their Territory??
Territorial Behavior is a big ruler of the Human Race.
WHAT do you Think SENIORS?????

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 03:12 AM

I think you'll fit right in.;D

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 05:26 AM

View just about all posts. Contribute only if I have anything to add, question, or to support a posters statement. Have on occasion posted personal feelings about issues that have no direct impact on me. Guess people post if the urge hits 'em to do so?
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:28 AM

sharks noone reallt knows what goes on behind the scene
the surfice can be very misleading
example bruces post needing help i saw no post by you sharks
but id bet a lot was said in u2u and emails
so itst hard to tell
if i have something to say directed to a individual person ill u2u so ppl may never know where im coming from

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:31 AM

i allways go to todays posts first then look for posts that relate to ppl and places close to loreto first then off to intresting things and if there time read the rest
if im out of town for a few days some thing go by the wayside

jerry and judi
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 09:48 AM

Hey Sharkey...I've been overwhelmed by the number of posts and avoid posting comments unless it's important. I posted offering a place to stay for those needing it, either the homeless or those helping to clean up the mess. Sometimes it bugs me to have to scroll through useless comments and I don't want to add to this nauseum! We sent food and clothes with the truck that went to Mulege from the coop here and helped in this way. I was gonna post a silly comment about wanting rain here (as we received ne'er a drop) but deleted it as there are enough comments in bad taste already. But I love this forum and am totally addicted much to the dismay of my esposo! Sirena is very busy at school and has not been on the computer at all...I miss her posts...anyway, the offer is still open if any of you Mulege folks just wanna get away from the mud for awile...we will take your mind off the nasties...love...shari

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 09:54 AM

What I think Sharks is getting at is an imbalance in what people prefer to view in the posts that appear here. Topics such as Palm Trees and Air Rifles seem trivial in the face of the crisis and suffering that is caused by hurricanes.

First of all, we who are directly involved in the crisis are closer to the story. Our interest is acute. We are intimately familiar with the territory and its people. During the communications blackout, we worried about friends and loved ones. In some cases, our worst fears were realized. There were deaths and there was massive destruction of homes, boats, trailers, RVs and livestock. For those who were there and lived through the frightening horror, it was much worse, and their plight and needs are ongoing.

Secondy, the shameful neglect by the media resulted in diminished emergency supplies and relief funds not getting collected and not reaching the stricken areas in a timely manner. The rest of the world simply was not aware of the crisis. And the world is still not aware of the ongoing needs. The media was only concerned about how the tourists in Cabo San Lucas suffered by having their vacations ruined. Thats it! That was THE story!

The Mexican Military were the first responders. They were repairing roads, delivering emergency supplies by helicopter, providing security and actually helping with some of the cleanup.

For many days, the BajaNomad was the only source of news.
Thanks to the members of this board, the word got out to the wonderful service organizations and help was mobilized. Rotarians, The Baja Bush Pilots, The Flying Samaritans, The Mexican Red Cross, individuals who set up relief funds such as Sharksbaja and Cabomagic, all responded heroically.

It is my observation that many newbies joined the board because of the disaster as word got around, and many have been very helpful.

We are emotionally bound the the event at hand, but for those who are not, I can see how they are going about their daily lives and persuing other interests.

Lastly, I think a topic exploring why the media didn't respond (with the exception of Sandra Dibble of The San Diego Union) is in order. I will start it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:06 AM
Cypress hit the nail on the head for me----

-------This is a great thread, and something for all of us to think about. But tho very simplistic (and I like that) Cypress has really said it all for me.

Cypress said: "View just about all posts. Contribute only if I have anything to add, question, or to support a posters statement. Have on occasion posted personal feelings about issues that have no direct impact on me. Guess people post if the urge hits 'em to do so?"

We all have our special interests, and deep feelings and prejudices, but that gets sooooo complicated that I do not think it can completely be addressed in a "post", and knowing that does effect what we respond to.

This latest tragedy is pretty overwhelming, not only for those caught up in it, but for all of us!!!!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:07 AM
Someone asked about Seniors

I guess I sure are one and so I will pitch my pesos in and see what happens.

When I look at post I look for value (to me and friends) then I look for specific posters I have learned to avoid. I look to see what the newby's are feeling and saying (use it for background but mostly ignore it--no offense--because at my age I could care less how some girlfriend fared in her test exposure to Baja). Then I look for the meat that a few of my favorite posters always seem able to toss into the pot.

I also believe that most of us seniors have a different approach to tragedy--and that is privacy. We don't bang on our chests and tell everybody how much we are helping the less fortunate. We just do it without the fanfare. I also believe that for many folks the constant and unorganized repeating (like the evening news) of an event has a certain burn out factor--it not that we are doing nothing to help or that we don't care--WE KNOW THE PROBLEM ALREADY so let's help but let's also get on with our lives.

I believe that it is perfectly natural for many newby's to be interested in other things BECAUSE they do not have the emotional attachment that others have because of esposure and time.

I guess I can say for many that after a time the tears just seem to dry up as life continues.

Oh! Yes, I contribute when I feel I have something of value to say.

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:39 AM

Being excited and interested in something new for me.... living in Baja sooner rather than later..... makes me look at posts I probably would ignore on the "punaweb" forum that is much like bajanomad only for my current area.

Also having a natural curiosity about things.... I love all the pictures posted. Weather is also important to me. Road conditions. People's favorite places to go... where to stay...

Thanks to all the seniors for their sage (no pun intended) advice.

-Cat

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 12:33 PM
Now were talkin' or rather, viewing

A topic that has always piqued my interest.

Jerry, you are probably one of the most perceptive posters I almost know. :lol:. Painfully so sometimes, thanks.
There is more reality within a post to some than to others. Cyber talk is strange in that for all the good intent and purpose it does not always reflect back the same image as one might expect. Tragedy might spawn a look but asking for help for that tragedy may not. See my point.
Merely an observation. Isn't is what most do..

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BucYouUp68

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 12:40 PM

Good Question, I am new here but very active on other boards. I don't know what the answer is, i guess just personal preference. I posted my first post here yesterday to help the people of Mulege, I have lots to offer, and my Fishing Club is doing it's part to get me the Donations. I really wanted to get all the stuff to a friend in Mulege, but he has left because it is so bad. My post was to find a trustworthy person to get all these donations to, and got ONE reply. Is it that nobody know's? COnfused new member. :fire:

By the way, The Club that will be sending the Donations Is

Coastsidefishingclub.com

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:06 PM
Now you understand this post

I just looked at your post. Only 58 folks viewed it of which I was one. It seemed you acknowledged Lindsays' post and it also looked like a good place to start sseeking help with the donations.
The problem I see here is more like matching up your stuff with someone able to bring pallets of donated material all the way to Mulege.
If I could I would. To be frank, I have been pledged stuff from a number of entities and big corps alike..... haven't seen squat but they sure acted interested. It may be a credibility issue. We are not a professional charity but we are professional enough not to make promises and/or commitments we can't delier on. WTS, keep trying. If the donations are there ready to go it's possible a short drive from you could expedite delivery to those who need it..

Yikes, that banner signature overwelms your post.:o:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BucYouUp68

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:12 PM

I am up in Pacific Grove, but have Employee pricing from FedEx. I will ship this to whoever that is willing to accept, as long as I am sure it is going to get to the people that need it. I have emailed the people that lindsay has suggested, but have not recieved a reply. Hopefully tommorrow they will reply so this can be shipped. I do however know about the credibilty issue as I am concerned as well. Thanks for your response to this post. Could not help with the signature, maybe others have heard of us and will feel better about accepting donations.

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by BucYouUp68]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:58 PM
Couple of thoughts...

First, I guess I would aspire to the Cypress school of thought. Second, I don't want to make promises I can't keep. When we have a schedule and head south, the Nomads will ceretainly know how much extra hauling capacity I have, and I'll pick up stuff along the way if that is a help. And last, I didn't respond to BYU68's post because I thought it was all in the previous posts, and wasn't that difficult to research. Back to the Cypress school...I was also sure that there were other more frequent posters who knew a whale of a lot more about it than I did.

I go straight to "Today's Posts", respond if I have something to share, and lurk around through the other things that interest me. I almost always open your posts Corky, 'cause you da man. :lol:

I occasionally lurk over to "off-topic" to see if people are still calling me names.

Although I have not been able to contribute more that a few bucks to hurricane relief, I have been incredibly proud to share the name Nomad with so many "humans" who really showed their stuff when the world wasn't paying any attention. You know who you are. It feels really good to be an American once again standing on the "moral high ground".

Viva los Nomads!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:59 PM

I have found here, that a post worthy of viewing is usually a question. This board is no different than any other in so much as most people respond just to hear themselves talk or, they just talk to themselves, probably as I am doing now.
I've only been around here a short time but, it became immediatly apparent to me that there is a "good ol' boy' network here who tend to have their own line of private communication in the midst of all else happening.
That's fine ..... probably good. But to wonder why participant behavior is different is to ignore the fact that here, there are private conversations in a public room and in order to participate, one has to join the more mundane threads, such as BB guns and palm trees. Besides, how many times do the people in Mulege want to hear, "Good Luck", from strangers?

Baja California has produced a certain snobbery unlike any other place I've been. I saw it forty years ago and I see it now. I dont know why it is but, some people act like they discovered this place and everybody else is an intruder. There is a bit of that sentiment displayed here at times.
Anyway, since "seniors" are so revered here and Newbies only tolerated in many cases, perhaps the board should be a private place, for the seniors who discovered it.

I stick with my assesment. If one wants to participate, the best way is to ask questions.

O.K. ...... Im putting on body armor
Later ..... Dennis
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I have found here, that a post worthy of viewing is usually a question. This board is no different than any other in so much as most people respond just to hear themselves talk or, they just talk to themselves, probably as I am doing now.
I've only been around here a short time but, it became immediatly apparent to me that there is a "good ol' boy' network here who tend to have their own line of private communication in the midst of all else happening.
That's fine ..... probably good. But to wonder why participant behavior is different is to ignore the fact that here, there are private conversations in a public room and in order to participate, one has to join the more mundane threads, such as BB guns and palm trees. Besides, how many times do the people in Mulege want to hear, "Good Luck", from strangers?

Baja California has produced a certain snobbery unlike any other place I've been. I saw it forty years ago and I see it now. I dont know why it is but, some people act like they discovered this place and everybody else is an intruder. There is a bit of that sentiment displayed here at times.
Anyway, since "seniors" are so revered here and Newbies only tolerated in many cases, perhaps the board should be a private place, for the seniors who discovered it.

I stick with my assesment. If one wants to participate, the best way is to ask questions.

O.K. ...... Im putting on body armor
Later ..... Dennis

I suppose there is much truth in what you say. Like it or not and as much as you may avoid it, it's a club. Like the Cub Scouts sometimes and other times like the Sierra Club.

Ask questions? Great but someone has to answer. Or maybe not. In which case you'd feel like BucYou. Even your user name or avatar can form an opinion.
If you used Hit-ler as an avatar and your user name was Jesus, well you get the picture.

But really, opinion is what drives many threads and is a healthy way of comparing ideas, philosophy and notes. It just takes a certain amount of respect and patience. Something "Hit-ler" would get little of, but something "Jesus" would.

The last statement of yours Dennis is, and has always been. true. It goes back to the days of discovery when Baja was just for the more dedicated and seasoned adventurer.

My adventure is better than yours kinda thing. That's cool too, just more opinion.

As far as being a senior, ahem, I don't feel that way.... you mean like in senior "status"? Heck some of those ol' Amigos Boards guys and gals were hard to crack!:lol: And still are:lol::cool::dudette::fire::D:P:saint::smug::rolleyes::tumble::(:wow::?::barf:;D

The icons say it all!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.