Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Media Neglect
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:18 AM
Media Neglect

It is puzzling to me as to why the media ignored the real story of Hurricane John; the loss of life, homes, property, livestock the need for emergency relief, human suffering and the heroics that are ongoing in Southern Baja California.

For many days, this BajaNomad board was the only source of this news. Members were calling newspapers, television and radio networks and local stations pleading with them to cover the unfolding crisis. With the exception of Sandra Dibble of The San Diego Union, the media did not. This is shameful! With the media's help, more relief could have come in faster. The media is still ignoring us.

This story had all the elements to satisfy the commercial needs of the media: death, destruction, the potential for disease, human suffering and the spectacular force of a hurricane.

Why didn't they report it? What would it take to get their attention in any future disaster? :fire:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:28 AM
Media takes most cues from the Eastern Establishment-----

------and they do not care about "regional" happenings unless they are about the Northeastern USA region, or are anti-Bush.

Still, this does not explain the lack of coverage in the Local sections of the Western Newspapers (excluding the Sandra Dibble piece, which was excellent).
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:33 AM

Middle Europe had it on TV, even here in tiny Austria!
But it was only at the beginning when John was at the southern end CSL ,La Paz, etc.
Then it had disappeared too fro the media.

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:51 AM

Funny, a cat 3 just pounded the mainland and I didn't notice too much concern for the people there expressed here on Nomads.

So I don't think anyone should get too high and mightly saying this or that about the media.

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by JZ]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 11:49 AM
JZ------

----What's to say????? The Media did not tell us what is going on, and I do not see any "posts" about it. If I knew anything other than the NOAA reports, I would be concerned.

The Media has let us down once again, and yes, I am very curious what went on in mainland Mexico------AND THE MEDIA DOES NOT CARE!!!!!!!.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 12:12 PM

If you rely on any one "Media" for information you're dependant on a very flawed provider with an agenda. Hope I didn't offend anyone? Please accept my humble apologies to any media reps, news junkies or people that just want to get PO'ed about something.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 12:31 PM
One good example:

About a month ago one of our neighbors enlisted the help of an artist to spray the image of Mona Lisa in grand scale upon his embankment with black dye.

News crews from all over descended upon the normally guiet valley and the image ended up on every news channel across the country. Our nearest news rooms is over 3 hours away.

So you must wonder why and what constitutes a legit story. I do.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:09 PM

JZ,

This is BAJAnomad. We know about what happens in Baja. This is not to say we are not concerned for the people on the Mainland. We are not there and don't have firsthand information.....only what we get in the media....or NOT.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:28 PM

"We know about what happens in Baja."

Give me a break. Everyone on this board knew about Lane. What do you think is likely to happen when a Cat 3 hurricane hits a fairly populated area. Do you need the media to tell you that.

Anyway, I was just using that as an example to show that your post was ironic. You judged others critically for not paying attention to "your" area of interest, but you gave no interest yourself to Baja's close neighbor states.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 01:58 PM

Please, JZ!
Why take shots at me or other members of this board? I am not "judging others critically". To the contrary....I only have praise for "others" My criticism is of the MEDIA. They could have helped.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 07:55 PM
OK, JZ--------

-------now that we know that LANE went ashore on the mainland, and we DO all know that, just what would you have us do????

If the "Media" won't keep us informed, who will??? Is that not their job????

I do not understand your "defense" of the Media in this case.
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:24 PM
Mulege is just a tiny place in the long Baja peninsula to most folks....

The *Media* plays it's song to a greater group than us down here. The disaster here is not Headline News to many folks up north....it doesn't sell papers at the stands. Geese...a tiny village of 3-4K folks wiped out!...in the Big Picture we don't count here much in such a big world. I actually thought the coverage was better than I expected, at least in the SoCal area. Let's thank our lucky stars that the BajaNomad was here to fill in the gaps that helped so many folks. In todays world, the on-line world, this is the next step.
Offroad
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:51 PM

The media lost interest when Hurricane John did not touch down in Cabo San Lucas. Majority of Baja travelers were interested in how "their resort" did during the storm. Tourism quickly had the word out that all was well in Cabo, so come on down and enjoy your stay. Tourism is very important and I understand why they wanted everyone to know all was OK in Cabo area.
Not much notice was given to the vast stretch of the East Cape that had extreme winds, damage and deaths.
Not much news was available on how the Mulege area was doing. I was concerned about my friends I met who own Ignacio Springs Inn. Were they OK? Should I take off work and go help? Can I get there? How is the road?
Although I have never stayed in Mulege I wanted to know how I could help.
I came to this forum to get this information. Members have intimate knowledge about these smaller areas and people. I learned about the Baja Bush Pilots, various Rotary clubs and so many others that were ready to help right now, and how much they help on normal days just because they know they are needed and appreciated. WOW! I viewed many topics that had places set up to send money to help. I was concerned! Are they legitimate? Do they use a percentage for overhead?
I just returned yesterday from 2 nights at the East Cape and I found the damage to be more than I had imagined. Violent winds were clocked at 200mph+ gusts, 175mph sustained winds. Broken home and car windows, damaged landscape and crops, roofs torn off, doors blown in, boats overturned, flooding, mud and the list goes on.
I fished Friday and had a wide open Yellowfin tuna bite and calm waters. Returned to shore to find "my resort" preparing for Tropical Storm Lane. Lots of tired, stressed and nervous people ready to tackle a possible second major storm. They removed all the pangas and cruisers from the water, installed the boards over the windows, secured everything so it would not fly away, and at this same time kept all of the guests safety in mind, fed them, answered their questions, etc. Evacuation plans were considered and weather was monitored. Overnight, the storm went East. Guests now wanted to fish again. Some swells lingered, but the decision was made to return the boats to the water. Boards were removed from the windows, and by noon all seemed back to normal. Most were still concerned about the Mazatlan area, as they had seen several days before how much damage these storms are capable of.
I am amazed how much work has been added to everyone who takes care of tourists such as myself. I added to the tip jars, and will always help out in some way during all of my travels. Baja Nomad members seem to help in so many different ways.
Why would I have liked more news media coverage? I was concerned since I have traveled in the areas that were affected. I now feel a connection with the people of Baja. During my road trips people have been friendly and very kind. I speak no spanish, travel by myself, sometimes tent camp in remote areas and have had no problems.
I do not feel there will be much news coverage of future events in Baja unless it relates to the Cabo or San Jose area. I am thankful for all of you that gave us such accurate information here on Baja Nomad. I encourage you to help out those in need in any way you can. Tourism, donations of clothing, cleanup items, money, etc all will help.
Sorry to ramble and THANK YOU!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 11:25 PM

I think your first paragraph nailed it, Offroad!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 08:43 AM
Great comments, offroad. Thank you.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.